Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 102
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,187
    A 2012? Under 100K miles? Wow.

    And what exactly is wrong with the motor?

    Running, with no rust, that's a $10k car here in the pnw. Even not running it's worth more than 500. I just sold an 02 with almost 300 on the clock for a grand.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    8,014
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Bump

    My 2012 Outback's engine just blew-up ("cylinders not firing") at 79k miles. $6k+ for a used engine + labor.

    --- End rant
    You know, this might be just the project to see if you can put an air cooled VW into a Subaru. Folks usually go the other direction. Sounds like a hoot.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    A 2012? Under 100K miles? Wow.

    And what exactly is wrong with the motor?

    Running, with no rust, that's a $10k car here in the pnw. Even not running it's worth more than 500. I just sold an 02 with almost 300 on the clock for a grand.
    That was my first thought, something's fishy.

    Abused, or call Subaru and bitch, that's way too soon for ANY manufacturer, especially Subaru who have a lot of 200k cars on the road

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    517

    What to do with a subaru with a blown engine? Finding Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Subaru's have trunks??!!
    Call it what you want - the wiring to it sucks

    This is what it looked like 5 yrs in. Dealer wanted a grand to fix it. I was lucky I found a complete harness at the wrecker for 35$ but I had to take it out so the entire project is a day I will never get back - all because Subaru wanted to save literally pennies on cheap/too short wiring with piss poor protection at the hinge.

    Of course the decision to re do the entire thing only came after a couple of the most frustrating hours of my life unsuccessfully trying to splice in a repair.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3903.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	789.8 KB 
ID:	288676

    Did I mention how much I hate Subaru’s - I hate them in a way that only someone who has worked on one they own can hate them.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,824
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    That was my first thought, something's fishy.

    Abused, or call Subaru and bitch, that's way too soon for ANY manufacturer, especially Subaru who have a lot of 200k cars on the road
    They had a class action suit against them for the oil leaking problem in the about 05-12s or so. They lost. But, then again, Subaru lost, in the long run. I just switched over to Honda after Subarus since 93. Damn fine in the snow with snows, though.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,562
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Call it what you want - the wiring to it sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

    This is what it looked like 5 yrs in. Dealer wanted a grand to fix it. I was lucky I found a complete harness at the wrecker for 35$ but I had to take it out so the entire project is a day I will never get back - all because Subaru wanted to save literally pennies on cheap/too short wiring with piss poor protection at the hinge.

    Of course the decision to re do the entire thing only came after a couple of the most frustrating hours of my life unsuccessfully trying to splice in a repair.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3903.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	789.8 KB 
ID:	288676

    Did I mention how much I hate Subaru’s - I hate them in a way that only someone who has worked on one they own can hate them.
    ^Ugh, I've been putting this off. First, they came for the wiper motor lead. Then, they came for the washer sprayer lead. Soon, they will come for the backup lights or, worse, the lock. I've been looking at ways to make the job easier. Looks like, besides paying someone to do it, there are very few.

    we Gonna blow a fifTEEN amp Fuse!!
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post

    ^Ugh, I've been putting this off. First, they came for the wiper motor lead. Then, they came for the washer sprayer lead. Soon, they will come for the backup lights or, worse, the lock. I've been looking at ways to make the job easier. Looks like, besides paying someone to do it, there are very few.

    we Gonna blow a fifTEEN amp Fuse!!
    What got us is the “trunk” lid actuator - who the fuk doesn’t have a simple manual release wired to the front. The only way to unlock it is with the fuckin fob. So basically when that wire went - boom no access to the back. Or leave the car unlocked at all times while the Mrs is at work. Man but doesn’t Subaru make a fine wagon!

    My suggestion is take it out - lots of pics and label everything- Get some wire and heat shrink stuff and spend some time soldering a couple inch extension on all of them. Don’t do what I did and try and repair it in the car.

    Ive added extensions to the old harness and am holding on to it until this one fails again- which it will.

    P. O. S.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    They had a class action suit against them for the oil leaking problem in the about 05-12s or so. They lost. But, then again, Subaru lost, in the long run. I just switched over to Honda after Subarus since 93. Damn fine in the snow with snows, though.
    I'm not sure if my next snow car will be a Subaru after the head gasket fiasco either, weak sauce.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Call it what you want - the wiring to it sucks

    This is what it looked like 5 yrs in. Dealer wanted a grand to fix it. I was lucky I found a complete harness at the wrecker for 35$ but I had to take it out so the entire project is a day I will never get back - all because Subaru wanted to save literally pennies on cheap/too short wiring with piss poor protection at the hinge.

    Of course the decision to re do the entire thing only came after a couple of the most frustrating hours of my life unsuccessfully trying to splice in a repair.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3903.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	789.8 KB 
ID:	288676

    Did I mention how much I hate Subaru’s - I hate them in a way that only someone who has worked on one they own can hate them.
    Sarcasm, as most are hatchbacks. What year and model is that?

    Every repair and service on mine have been a good experience. But I'm still pissed about the head gaskets.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,469
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    What? I thought that was only if you donated to a “State Run Charity” I.e. donated your taxes instead of paid them. Charitable contribution are impacted by SALT now? In what way?

    https://www.accountingtoday.com/arti...cap-in-tax-law
    Pretty sure he meant the Standard Deduction going up to $24k.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Sarcasm, as most are hatchbacks. What year and model is that?

    Every repair and service on mine have been a good experience. But I'm still pissed about the head gaskets.
    Its a '08 outback - I am just calling it a trunk lid - you are right it is probably technically the "hatch" lid. Still a POS.

    And to be clear the car ran great for about 5 years- had great dealer experiences. Then while the wheels didn't literally fall off - everything else did.

    Has your exhaust shroud started making a god-awful racket? I could tell when my wife was coming home from work - when she left from work.

    Nothing a little spot welding in the driveway couldn't fix - but again it had 60,000 km on it at the time. Why should a car with 40,000 miles need me to be welding its bits back together. These were not hard miles either.

    Oh and check the lines running to your wind shield washer - ours had a little kink in it that was causing a slow leak into one of the sills - would have eventually rotted out the corner of the windshield and caused a major structural weakness should it ever be in an accident - the windshield is critical to passenger safety and where this pool of fluid was would have caused a weakened attachment to the frame.

    I really, really, really want to replace it with an AWD Sienna - but the missus - who to be fair bought the thing and drives it every day - doesn't want to be a mini-van mom. So, I will grit my teeth and fix the issues as they arise and be thankful for what I have.

    So - stay tuned to this space for when Hutz Esq rebuilds an automotive engine for the first time in 30 years- it's inevitable really. My brother - the actual real live (but unfortunately now -retired) mechanic with the lift and shop in his back yard- will not touch it. Says he put up with Subarus when he was in the business because Subaru owners would pay the premium he wanted for the aggravation (the word suckers was used) - but now that he doesn't have to he isn't. Fair enough 40 years in the business he probably earned the right to leave his bro out in the wilderness on this one.
    Last edited by LHutz Esq; 07-17-2019 at 10:48 AM.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,012
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Its a '08 outback - I am just calling it a trunk lid - you are right it is probably technically the "hatch" lid. Still a POS.
    Can it hold dead hookers?


    Then it’s a trunk. Period


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    8,014
    If your in range of Santa Barbara there's a guy there who, among other things, puts Subaru engines in VWs. See if he's game to make your outback into an air-cooled rally car. I'm serious. Strip the fucker down and have some fun with it. Helmet required.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,177
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Can it hold dead hookers?
    Regular or lesbian ones?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    <snip> but the missus - who to be fair bought the thing and drives it every day - doesn't want to be a mini-van mom.
    Is this despite the fact that she *is* a minivan mom without the practical convenience of actually *owning* a minivan? Tell her that's dumb.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is this despite the fact that she *is* a minivan mom without the practical convenience of actually *owning* a minivan? Tell her that's dumb.
    I agree of course. The outback is a sliding door from being a minivan anyway. No real practical beneficial difference that I can discern.

    However, in life one should pick ones battles. Suggesting a lack of intelligence on her part is a battle I would lose.

    So off to the garage spanner in hand. At least it is quiet there... except for the swearing.

    ... and I get to pick the music which is nice.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Regular or lesbian ones?
    Lesbian Hooker is a tough gig.

    Not many women paying for sex.

    Come to think of it, what a nice gesture a go fund me account or maybe start a lesbian hooker charity. Team up with Subaru or something.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,177
    Lionel, I like that you're looking at this in a positive manner. My Range Rover has given me an education in British wiring and electricals that I could have never received in a book or classroom.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Its a '08 outback - I am just calling it a trunk lid - you are right it is probably technically the "hatch" lid. Still a POS.

    And to be clear the car ran great for about 5 years- had great dealer experiences. Then while the wheels didn't literally fall off - everything else did.

    Has your exhaust shroud started making a god-awful racket? I could tell when my wife was coming home from work - when she left from work.

    Nothing a little spot welding in the driveway couldn't fix - but again it had 60,000 km on it at the time. Why should a car with 40,000 miles need me to be welding its bits back together. These were not hard miles either.

    Oh and check the lines running to your wind shield washer - ours had a little kink in it that was causing a slow leak into one of the sills - would have eventually rotted out the corner of the windshield and caused a major structural weakness should it ever be in an accident - the windshield is critical to passenger safety and where this pool of fluid was would have caused a weakened attachment to the frame.

    I really, really, really want to replace it with an AWD Sienna - but the missus - who to be fair bought the thing and drives it every day - doesn't want to be a mini-van mom. So, I will grit my teeth and fix the issues as they arise and be thankful for what I have.

    So - stay tuned to this space for when Hutz Esq rebuilds an automotive engine for the first time in 30 years- it's inevitable really. My brother - the actual real live (but unfortunately now -retired) mechanic with the lift and shop in his back yard- will not touch it. Says he put up with Subarus when he was in the business because Subaru owners would pay the premium he wanted for the aggravation (the word suckers was used) - but now that he doesn't have to he isn't. Fair enough 40 years in the business he probably earned the right to leave his bro out in the wilderness on this one.
    Our 2005 Outback had dash rattles, coating coming off of steering wheel and drivers inner door handle. Dash rattle never went away after 2 dealer repairs under warranty.
    I had to replace rear wheel bearing out of pocket, because I just missed out on the warranty extension bu 9 months. Then we dumped $2,850 into new head gaskets.

    I wish all I had was hatch wiring, rattly muffler and a kinked hose....

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,177
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    lesbian hooker charity.
    Toys for Twats
    or
    Make-A-Lick Foundation?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    14,616
    watch out for snakes

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I agree of course. The outback is a sliding door from being a minivan anyway. No real practical beneficial difference that I can discern.
    I think Mazda made one of these... it was basically a small car with sliding rear doors. Maybe the Mazda 5? Can't remember... but rented one. It was brilliant.

    However, in life one should pick ones battles. Suggesting a lack of intelligence on her part is a battle I would lose.
    Blame the internet?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,068
    This thread confirms my long term game of convincing the wife to sell her 2013 outback for a built 05 4runner. I actually liked it with the 6spd even though engine was a dog but no way was I dealing with that thing after 80,000mi. Plus the runner is fun as shit to wheel.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,674
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I will never get the Subaru fan base.

    Our '08 outback was leaking oil at 60,000 km- I am pretty sure a lot of them are leaking on the boat over.
    The boat over from Indiana?

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The boat over from Indiana?
    See and all this time I was swearing at stupid, lazy incompetent Japanese people ... when I should have been swearing at incompetent, stupid lazy Americans?

    Well that will save time... I already have years of practice. Thanks for that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •