Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

`04/`05 Maggot/Minion Season Documentary Independent Filmmaking Project

I have a proposal for the maggots/minions:

I have an old Sony CCD-TR54 Hi8 camcorder that's been gathering dust on my shelf for a few years. Being more of a still photog than a cinematographer, I never really use the thing.

Which is a shame. So instead of selling it for $50, I say we get together and as a collective, make a documentary film of our exploits this winter, passing it from one of us to another with the tape/tapes, and soliciting a volunteer (Slim? Tippster? 13? Itai? Evil E? Anyone else?) with the equipment and the knowhow to take the results at the end of the year, edit them, and produce a short (30 min?) film. If as good/funny as I bet this would be, maybe TGR could put it out as a DVD extra to accompany next year's movie.

So if people are interested, I could start things off by buying a fresh tape, filming the antics this Saturday at Squaw's opening, and then on Monday, I'll package the thing up and mail it to the next person, who can keep it for as long as they want, and then mail it off to someone else, et cetera all season.

I think this could end up being really cool - a low brow yet soulful documentary (Cletus? Evil E?) of the best parts of our seasons. Imagine a film showing what I hope is killer powder skiing, insane off-slope antics, road trips, you get the picture. Plus, all of us will have had a hand in making it. Example - if you know a maggot who lives in Alta and they are about to get pounded, well, mail it to them in time for the storm. Then, after the storm, send it off to someone else in Colorado as it rolls through there. Then on to Minnesota.....I could care less what happens to the actual camera, so filming in storm conditions is not a concern.

Ideas? Suggestions? Shut the fuck ups?

Paging LPH...
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

The idea is pretty sweet, but whos going to have the time to devout energy to editing it plus the right equimpment to digitize 8mm.
    Beautiful, soulful idea though. One camera, storm chasing, sent by mail through the collective.

I think it's a great idea. And a great way to preserve what we've created here. logistics, schmistics. How incredible would it be to be able to look back at the characters, lines, gear, and maggots we've known. don't know if tgr would put it on or not, but it would be awesome to have a maggoted soulskier dvd for all who wanted it, regardless.

awesome thread LM.
    scroll to "Buy DVD", very bottom of page http://bhandf.com/bhandf%202008/longform.htm I do not work for Bill, just dig his work.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. (It) is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. . .There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so. . .people won't feel insecure around you. . . -Williamson

I know there are a bunch of us with our own video cams too. I'm hoping to replace mine in the near future and hope to film a reasonable amount (to to figure out how to carry it without killing it again).
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Thumbs up

Great Idea!! Maybe it can make its way to Utah Dec 15-20, Jackson Hole, say Feb 4-14th, and much in between, before and after.

Needed: DTM, Powho and Bum Z going huge at Alta!! Hell, Ho already is dropping shit!

Can snowboarders be in it too?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Thumbs up

If it makes it to the Mini, I have a nice, portable tripod we can bring. I was just going to post something asking someone of they had a video camera for the Mini, since I'd love to get something together for an school viewing, it's like someone read my mind... I will be willing to help out with the filming at the Mini and if we get lots of fresh [....] while we're there, my friend and I will be going big, or at least trying to for the camera, although prolly nothing like many Utards, but you never know.

Great idea for a project, I see this becoming something that we will all be very glad we did.

Edit: I agree with iskibc, I think we could very easily make a feature length film out of it, but maybe break it into segments by theme. Have a Sinners-esque segment, with deep, dreamy storm shots, a park segment, big mountain lines and huge hucks, etc, etc... So many things can be done with this, I drool over the possibilities.
    Last edited by glademaster; 10-27-2004 at 06:12 PM.

Thumbs up

I think it's a great idea and support it 100%, but it does sound like a lot of work for the person who would be doing the editing and putting the clips together at the end. I think a 30 minute film would be too short considering all the locales that are represented here on this board. You could easily put together a 1-2 hour film documenting all the huge storms, road trips, summits, etc. of the collective.

I have my own Hi8 (which I'm keeping) that I can do some EC stuff with.

I'd be willing to do some filming in LCC.

Mail belivery tends to be unreliable in Alta, especially during storm cycles, so that would have to be kept in mind as far as shipment goes.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Glad to see there is some support for this. I think we could at the very least end up with piles of amazing/cool footage to be assembled at some later date.

If I had the equipment, I woul gladly perform the editing. Maybe I can find something up here to do it with....

If this happens, I'll ask Huckasoreass if he would volunteer to do the voiceover/narration - it's been far too long since his voice has graced a ski film. I bet if we wrote something like a script for the final product, he wouldn't mind reading it into a mic...

This is a great idea. If you could get Huck to do the voiceover that would be very cool

Great idea... If you want some uber extreme midwestern action, give it me...

Lane, waaaay cool.

Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

Thumbs up

Totally kick ass...

The mail-around idea is kick-ass. Perhaps with some savvy editing, we could end up with a Banff Film Festival entry on our hands. (Or maybe not...)

Here is a thought. Most digital camera's have action video mode for about 1 minute of footage. It would be easier to load up to a seperate server, and you wouldn't have to worry about compressing it. Much easier to edit as well. Not to mention digital camera's don't set as heavy in your pack. And the video footage most of those camera's shoot is fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ.Brk
    And the video footage most of those camera's shoot is fine quality.
    I don't agree.
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Beaver
    I don't agree.

OK. You have a point. The better ones shoot good quality, granted they are more expensive. Many people have them. We can share.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear
    The mail-around idea is kick-ass. Perhaps with some savvy editing, we could end up with a Banff Film Festival entry on our hands. (Or maybe not...)
    A round robin self portrait hairball documentary of high altitude kapoofy face shots and debauchery?

Thumbs up

We batted around the idea of a collective video a year or two ago. It didn't happen but got lots of interest.

What I like about this idea is that it'd all be on film. That'd really make this project different and lots more soulful. I can't do any shooting until January, but I'd be happy to help with shooting, digitizing the film, and editing.

Sweet idea. Similar thoughts have been tossed around in the past and I'd love to see something get off the ground. I've got a pretty standard video camcorder that I plan on using extensively this winter so if your camera doesn't make it's way to the east coast, I'll try my best to get some quality digi footage to contribute to the final product.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and ready for my closeup),
    d.
    edit: lots of replies snuck in ahead of me. If film is key, I say we east coasters make a serious effort to form a mini and contribute en masse.

I think what we need is someone who can edit it, I'll send a Mini DV tape of footy from AK. I'd totally edit it but I don't have any equipment what I'm saying is this will work if someone steps up!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I will be a camera carrying fool at both summits. I can do some editing, and can create DVD's.

Maybe each person can patre down the best clips from their own video, and then somone can weave the good stuff together. The most time consuming part is sitting watching clips to determine quality.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch