Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powstash
    This idea is double thumbs up!!
    Silverton footie?

Ah the possibilities are endless....
    We will make this happen. Shall we document the First Annual Silverton Dildo Party and Prayer for Cosmic Guidance?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Such a sweet idea. So it's going to be at Squaw on Saturday?
    It's heartbreaking to see a chick who's too anorexic.

2+ cams would be a better idea, not to mention one would act as a backup in the event of a catastrophic failure of the single cam. That would pretty much doom the project.

That being said: WSD mentioned a EC Mini, etc. That's a great way to go too. Localized minis - a taste of different terrain and a wider variety of people getting filmed....There are definitely some folks I can think of whom I'd like to see ski - especially on their home mountains - but you can get that AND a host of other people if it's organized to get everyone together for a day or 2 of filming...

Yeah, it'd be GREAT to have the cam make its' way to where it's dumping, but - for example....You just never know what you're gonna get on the EC / Mid-Atlantic. 2'-3' on one day, (ok, not inthe Mid-Atlantic ) bulletproof 2 days later....It doesn't need to be film of ONLY epic days (those will happen anyways, to be sure), but it'd be cool just to see everyone skiing in their "average" conditions, whether that's good or bad.

edit: Has anyone considered the possibility that Fed-Ex / UPS might be interested in helping defray the cost of shipping this stuff around? Give 'em kudos & a promo blurb on the vid. Hrm?
    Last edited by EPSkis; 10-28-2004 at 11:56 AM.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

So here's my latest thoughts:

1. Let's stick with the one camera idea, at least to make one film with it. The multuiple camera/footage submission idea is excellent, but should be a different project leading to a different result (or bonus footy, as someone suggested). If someone wants to lead that, go for it!

2. Eric (Evil E) has lots of filmmaking experience, and is knowledgeable in the ways of moving imagery. He has suggested a production schedule. EPSkis (and others) have suggested that the camera make it to all the minis and the summit, as a bare minimum. I like this idea, but I also like the spontenaity of it going from one person to another to follow storms, in-between storms fun, etc. And hell yeah it should be used for apres-ski drinking, shenanigans. What would be better than filming a "unsmart thing done" in the making?!?

Inevitably, this project will not be 100% fair (there aren't enough days in a season to get it to everyone), but it will still work out to something cool based on the inherent coolness of the people who participate in the project and make up this community. The free-form nature of the camera's travels are an integral part of the original idea....

3. That said, let's work on a production schedule based on minis and summits as a rough framework. Can anyone point me to a list of these? Are they on the calendar portion of the TGR UBB system? I can use this as a starting point.
    Last edited by Lane Meyer; 10-28-2004 at 11:56 AM.

The Calendar on TGR is a great place to lay out the production schedule, I think. That way, everyone knows when/where the camera needs to be for the important dates.

(ps- your sig cracks me up every time.)
    It's idomatic, beatch.

The funny thing about my sig is that it is an actual quote from a story I heard on NPR a few weeks ago about employees of the state of Louisiana who are so horribly obses that they were selected to have state-funded stomach stapling surgery in an attempt to see if reducing their weight would save the state money in the end in paying their health benefits. Weird.

Quick question - Now that we have the poll thread going, are we all switching over to one thread or the other to keep all this info in one place?

Another thing I was thinking of is... If we pass it around, when should we wrap it up? I, for one, like to shoot the summer skiing around here in June and July. If we go into the summer, editing won't even get started until well into August or September, so it doesn't sound realistic that a finished product could be finished by the end of the summer.

Either way - it has been mentioned that it would be cool to piggy-back it on a TGR DVD or something. What about this: Once we get something together we talk to TGR about allowing us to play it before or after their film at next year's showings, or have our own little showing tour. Bonus double feature at your local film house! Assuming we have it put together by then...
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

EC is definitely temperamental...end of Jan or mid-Feb would be the best times to get footage around these parts.

I think I'll post up an "EC mini" thread to see what dates people around here are thinkin' (loosely).

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

I killed the other thread. Attached is a Word document with all the text from everyone's posts....

Pink flamingos, trolls and garden gnomes have been done. What other portable chunk of Americana would do?
    An inflatible doll?
    Plastic bambi?
    Scuba mask?
    Jello mold?
    Fruitcake? (Some friends have a ritual of passing a fruitcake around, the thing is about 20 years old now and looks fresh from the bakery).
    A hostess product like a package of Twinkies or DingDongs?
    A loaf of bread?
    Can of soup?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Do I get a special prize for having the last post in a killed thread?

As for continuity, how about just making sure that a PM sticker appears somewhere in your segment? Subtle but noticable.

SaAaH (and if you don't start that EC mini thread soon, snowsprite, I will),
    d.

Done Gin!

And it occurs to me that w/ all the minis and maxis and whatever is being planned...there are going to be a lot of stickies on the top. I don't mind this, but should we have a "Summit" board and would everyone check it?

I'm gunna ask ONS to make the EC one a sticky. (too soon though?)

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by gincognito
    if you don't start that EC mini thread soon, snowsprite, I will),
    d.
    She did. U still haven't posted, slacker.

Personally, I think this is a good way to get it started. We GOTTA have a bunch of individual footage too, but if the schedule can be set NOW for any of the Summits or local Mini's, that should make it much easier to get dates set for the Mag-cam travels. (It does need to be named, btw.(Maggy?))
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    Done Gin!

And it occurs to me that w/ all the minis and maxis and whatever is being planned...there are going to be a lot of stickies on the top. I don't mind this, but should we have a "Summit" board and would everyone check it?

I'm gunna ask ONS to make the EC one a sticky. (too soon though?)

Sprite
    I don't think it's too soon ~ This far out, there shouldn't be any excuses for not making it. Plus, it'll be nice to have something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis
    I don't think it's too soon ~ This far out, there shouldn't be any excuses for not making it. Plus, it'll be nice to have something to look forward to.
    Agreed

10 letters agreed

What a great idea! Thanks Lane - how generous!

I don't have anything to contribute to the effort, but just wanted to say I think it's a geat idea.

I haven't decided btw squaw and KW for saturday. If it's squaw, do you guys have a meeting time/place?
    -b
    Powder. It gives you the freedom to be retarded. (S. Morrison)

mmmmmm.... what an avator

i'll be having Euro footage for sure.

and i might send it to the responsible person by the mystic ways of this interweb i have heard of....
    And ill be putting out another "plague production" this year too.

*shameless self promotion following*
    if you want to see my editing skills etc.
    the 03/04 movie can be found at:

http://hosting.the-edg.net/hostme/ 56mb BIG & schmoov version thanx edg for hosting it
    http://www.surfingbiber.mynetcologne...son0304net.avi 17mb web version
    You'll need this codec to watch it
    http://www.xvid.org/
    click on the latest codec exe and download it. Not the source code No worries it is open source and spy ware free (it's the free version of divx)
    Edit: Ok if it will be the one camera thing i guess i can't contribute to this for geographic/postal reasons......
    Last edited by subtle plague; 10-28-2004 at 04:24 PM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Can those of us who have a camera send you footy?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I love the idea and would definately like to shoot some footy.

Ill be storm chasing around the west from the end of dec to early feb, so I could get a hold of the camera during then I'd love to shoot some stuff, and then pass it along during my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    What about this: Once we get something together we talk to TGR about allowing us to play it before or after their film at next year's showings, or have our own little showing tour. Bonus double feature at your local film house! Assuming we have it put together by then...
    Don't put anyone in an awkward postion, now. That's asking a lot. Not that I'm speaking for them at all, but whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog
    ... during my travels.
    Hey, does what I pm'd you sound okay?

I can film the EC mini with my cam. Plus any other number of EC days if people actually want to ski with my gaper ass.

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis
    2+ cams would be a better idea, not to mention one would act as a backup in the event of a catastrophic failure of the single cam. That would pretty much doom the project.

That being said: WSD mentioned a EC Mini, etc. That's a great way to go too. Localized minis - a taste of different terrain and a wider variety of people getting filmed....There are definitely some folks I can think of whom I'd like to see ski - especially on their home mountains - but you can get that AND a host of other people if it's organized to get everyone together for a day or 2 of filming...

Yeah, it'd be GREAT to have the cam make its' way to where it's dumping, but - for example....You just never know what you're gonna get on the EC / Mid-Atlantic. 2'-3' on one day, (ok, not inthe Mid-Atlantic ) bulletproof 2 days later....It doesn't need to be film of ONLY epic days (those will happen anyways, to be sure), but it'd be cool just to see everyone skiing in their "average" conditions, whether that's good or bad.

edit: Has anyone considered the possibility that Fed-Ex / UPS might be interested in helping defray the cost of shipping this stuff around? Give 'em kudos & a promo blurb on the vid. Hrm?
    I will cover that one. Hopefully we will get a good dump this year. Plus we got iceman in our hood.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Lane, incredible idea mang. A few more ideas to help shape the tracking for ya. Each person that gets the camera should send their "full" tape to one location or use seperate tapes for each shoot. That way not to loose or accidentally tape over any tapes moving around with the camera. Big ups for you generosity giving up your camera. Maybe send a "logbook" or something each person that has the camera can drop a few lines down about the footage that they take. It will be a monumental task I am sure to edit this down.

NICE. and looking foward to calling dibs on the camera for a pow session in CO.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap