Canon 10-22 vs. Tokina 11-16

Anyone out there have experience with both of these lenses?

I got to play with a Canon 10-22 last week and was instantly hooked on UWA glass. It seems the Tokina is very popular, perhaps in part because it is hard to find right now. From what I've read the Tokina is a little sharper at the edges and might have a slight edge in IQ.

I like the idea of the Tokina being 2.8 as I think I'll find myself using this lens on stormy days but I'm wondering if I'll wish I could go all the way to 10mm instead of 11mm, or if I'd even notice the 1mm difference.

Then there's the new Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM coming out that was just announced last week. 8mm sounds pretty wild but I suspect the Canon and Tokina will still have it beat in IQ.

Thoughts?

yeah, wide angle glass is a lot of fun. I bought a 17-40mmF4L a few months ago and have been hooked on it ever since.

Not sure about the sigma or tokina.. never really considered non-canon lenses..

Quote Originally Posted by Altmanator View Post
    Then there's the new Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM coming out that was just announced last week. 8mm sounds pretty wild but I suspect the Canon and Tokina will still have it beat in IQ.

Thoughts?
    Hey! I obviously haven´t tried the Sig 8-16, but I have some experience shooting with the 12-24 (full frame version), and it is pretty sharp when stopped down, in addition to it having a very fast AF. I´m one of those who´ve been lucky with Sigma QC, heh.

If I were to buy one or the other today, though, I´d get the Tokina 11-16 no question.

Ive got the 10-22 on my 7d and my buddy shoots the 11-16 on his D90. The short answer is will you need the stop? If not the 10-22 blows the tokina out of the water for versatility imho. 22mm is usable for much more than landscape, where as 16mm is still really fucking wide. Do you shoot in low light? Tokina. If not, Canon.

I had the 12-24 a few years back. It was surprisingly bad in the corners. I don't know if I just got a bad copy or what. Well built, and cheaper, but if you're price range is around $600 I'd definitely go for the 11-16. That extra stop of light could help at some point.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Anyone shot with the new Sigma 10-20? There is a F3.5 and a F4 version. The 3.5 is about $200 more.

Also, has anyone found the CA on any of these to be significant? I've read that below F5.6 sometimes it's much more pronounced.

The tok 12-24 is a great, great lens for the $$... rivals nikon's version in sharpness, color, contrast and BUILD Quality... I was skeptical, but after having one lens in my left hand, one in my right-- it was easy to see. I'm referring to the vI.. I imagine the vII is just as good. Altmano- if you see that 11-16 2.8 in stock, grab it. I looked/ waited for 3-4 weeks before I got the 12-24 instead.

Pointed- do you ever use the 12-24 for skiing?

Bio-smear- I've got the Sigma 10-20 f/4 lens... for 99% of the pictures I take with it, I love it. There is definitely some CA on the outer edges when you shoot at 10 or 11mm, but other than those extremes, I rarely see anything that makes me regret purchasing it last summer.

I used my Canon 10-22 on my 40D before upgrading to my 5D2. I LOVED that lens. Very versatile as noted above. Sharp througout. A tad bit of distortion on the edges wide open, but still a great buy. FWIW, I sold it for what I paid for it new, used. Holds its value very well.

Check out photography-on-the.net and look at the 10-22 thread in the Lens section. Great UWA!

Now, if I could just find a UWA for my 5D2!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregger View Post
    I used my Canon 10-22 on my 40D before upgrading to my 5D2. I LOVED that lens. Very versatile as noted above. Sharp througout. A tad bit of distortion on the edges wide open, but still a great buy. FWIW, I sold it for what I paid for it new, used. Holds its value very well.

Check out photography-on-the.net and look at the 10-22 thread in the Lens section. Great UWA!

Now, if I could just find a UWA for my 5D2!
    12-24 Sig, or Nikkor 14-24 with a mount converter.

Took the plunge and picked up a Tokina 11-16. Got it for a pretty good price on FM, a price that I'm sure I could sell it for if I don't dig it. I'll let you know what I think of it once I've shot with it for a few days and maybe do a few test shots between it and the 10-22 that I can borrow.

I only got to shoot that 10-22 one storm day but it got me hooked on UWA. Here are a couple shots from that day I like, a little UWA stoke.

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    12-24 Sig, or Nikkor 14-24 with a mount converter.
    That Sigma has gotten pretty poor reviews on POTN. I looks at it a while back. Slow and soft focus/ distortion have been the major complaints.

smmokan- I haven't used it for skiing yet- been injured and am sitting out this season. I've shot a ton of photos with it however. Something in particular you are wondering about?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregger View Post
    That Sigma has gotten pretty poor reviews on POTN. I looks at it a while back. Slow and soft focus/ distortion have been the major complaints.
    I mentioned it in a reply above: it NEEDS stopping down - 12mm@f/11 is pretty damn sweet. It´s the only FF lens that goes down to 12mm, so if you need 12mm, you need that lens. Not fast by any means, except AF (it´s a UWA, though, nothing else should be expected).

If money wasn´t an issue, though, I´d probably get a D700 with a 14-24 permanently attached..