Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Anyone in Washington that is interested in supporting trips like this, Forest works for AAI in Bellingham as a guide. I took my first Avy level 1 class with them this past December. Forest is a funny guy that seriously knows his stuff and went far beyond basic level 1 safety and snow science when we were in the field.

The pictures are simply jaw-dropping. thanks for sharing and next time, GET IT PUBLISHED!

Can't believe I missed this. Amazing work.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

You guys rock....period. Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Incredible work. I found myself imagining lines and airs in almost every photo. Some insanely cool terrain. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Just saw this one. Nice documentation. Looks like a great adventure.

Sweet pics Man. Awesome trip. Definitely motivational. Thanks for that.

I don't know why, but when I first saw the splitboarder, I was like, "this can't end well."

My feet hurt just from reading that. Epic dude.
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

Can't say anything other than that this is incredibly inspiring. Way to get after a big goal, and congrats on the good luck with weather and snow. Keep up the good work.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

A privilege. +1 for publication in Ski Journal. PM Gunder.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Nice work bros.

I'm feeling a bit worked from a fairly normal backcountry ski day. Reading this makes me feel even more inadequate. But my god those are inspiring pics and some amazing mountains. Thanks for the motivation.

There are many ways to put your mark on this life and you did it
    Few of us would even think to accomplish something like what you did, yet alone, to go out and do it and document it so well. I hope I see your TR's in ski magazines in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Two weeks without this at the front page is two too many.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

bump for awesomeness

This is one TR I will read again and again and again. I can only imagine how good that first meal tasted.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Once again Congrats to Jason and Forrest.

As for my turning around it had little to do with the splitboard.

Here is my version of the Pickets traverse
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

Kyle - your version of why you turned around during the Pickets trip was different than I gleaned from Forest and Jason's accounts. Those are spooky decisions to make out there and after that slide I'm sure it was hard to feel completely zero'd in to make the decision, especially with the long trip out.

Forest has been out on some more cool tours: http://forestmcbrian.com/
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    Kyle - your version of why you turned around during the Pickets trip was different than I gleaned from Forest and Jason's accounts.
    Not really true since Forest's TR doesn't even mention that Kyle was there. I think Kyle aptly addresses this in the thread on splitboard.com...

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8582

Hello, fellow splitboarders. Many of you may have seen Jason’s trip report from our recent trip to the Pickets Range. Because I bailed on the complete task, I initially did not want to post my own trip report, as I didn’t feel it was appropriate. However, after further reflection upon my participation in this journey, I felt it was more necessary, especially in light of the following statement from Jason’s story:

“Kyle finds his splitboard the wrong tool for the job – it is like riding a mountain bike alongside a road bike on the highway. Each section of hard snow, ice, avy debris has him stymied. This traverse is not a place for a boarder, and he knows it. Our ski edges gain purchase where his simply can’t.”

Jason is a good friend and talented photographer, and I am sure he meant only to protect me with these comments. It’s true that parts of the journey were more difficult because of equiptment—ski crampons, for example, would have made all the difference. However, I feel it would be a disservice to the splitboarding community for this to stand as the single reason I did not complete the journey, and truly, my choice of sliding tool was really a small factor in weighing judgment as to whether or not to continue. All in all, a difference in interpretation of the snowpack (and perhaps, risk threshold as well) was the greatest motivating factor in my decision to turn around, as you will see from my report above.
    Last edited by jesski; 03-26-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Forest is spelled with one R, thanks Platinum Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jesski View Post
    Not really true since Forrest's TR doesn't even mention that Kyle was there. I think Kyle aptly addresses this in the thread on splitboard.com...

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8582
    I wasn't knocking Kyle's decision or the accounts of it - sounds to me like he made a well reasoned call given how deep they were in and the demonstrated potential consequences. I didn't read the splitboard.com post since I've never visited that site and don't splitboard. Forest is spelled with one R, we had a short discussion about this trip and he didn't make clear to me why Kyle went back.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

i checked out from this place for 9 weeks; this is the only thing I really missed.

holy shit, FKNA amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Unemployed View Post
    If someone has advice on publishing, I'd love to here. I'm fairly new to it, as I mentioned above...and could use the money since I've been out of work for 9 months. Living on Ramen now and I lost a few hundred dollars of camera gear on this trip.
    Rule #1, don't put your best shots on internet message boards before submitting.

I'd love to get you dialed in on submitting to Powder. Drop me a line when you get a chance: derek at powder dot com.

Stunning and a great read, thanks for the bump. Some how I missed this the first go around. HOF!
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Incredible TR! Pickets are amazing! ever hit the Enchantments?

More great stuff

thank you for sharing this grand adventure. i am humbled by your photo tour. please keep taking pictures and telling your story, if not for money then just because you have a rare, true gift. the power of the natural beauty and your simple narrative are compelling. in this age of war, famine, disaster, etc. it is pure soul food to see your love and devotion to our grand mother earth.