Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Weekend project idea - rod case for vehicle

I was thinking of going to the hardware store this weekend and getting a larger diameter PVC pipe around 9.5 feet long to mount to my Yakima bars that will hold a few fully assembled fly rods for short trips.

I know there are companies out there that make this kind of thing, but I am more interested in building my own.

Anyone else ever do something like this?

Ideas? Tips? Suggestions?
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

I see those all the time around here. Never made one cuz I drive a truck. If you figure it out let us know the process.

I've been meaning to rig something in my truck so rods don't have to gat tossed around on top of all the other shit i have in there.

consider a seat for the reel, this could be carved from a block of styrofoam and wedged into the pvc pipe, thus eliminating some of the bouncing and beating that will take place on the rough roads, as some of the best fishing spots are not accessed on paved roads

I use an interior rack in my van that can hold complete rod/reel combos

Yeah, back when I had an Explorer I had a homemade rig to hold full rods on the ceiling inside the cab, but now I have a Subaru Forester (with a huge sunroof) and they don't quite fit.

I like the idea of carved styrofoam for the reels; I was trying to think of something for this. I also plan to use those neoprene reel booties on the reels too.

I'll be sure to take pictures as the process moves along. I am also going to look into some sort of u-bolt that will go over the pipe and then attach to the little Yakima bar clip thingy-ma-jigs to hold it down on the Yakima bars.

Obviously, this tube will require an awesome collection of fishing related stickers too.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

What about length? I was thinking of going with 9'6". I don't own any rods over 9ft.

Maybe I should go 10 feet just to be safe?

quite a few people cruise around here with a similar set up, usually spinners though.
    connected to racks with cord, I like your idea better with the u-bolts.

with the reel on the diameter of the pipe is going to have to be pretty big

I'd take the rod end and reel with the neoprene cover down to the hardware store and try to find a snug fit, then you could cap the end and be good, although I would worry and would want another mechanism to secure the cap end (velcro, bungee?) bring your biggest setup.

do you have a ski box on top? I've screwed around with a couple of ideas, but you do have to break the rod down to at least half.

having rods ready to go is key and often leads to a pissed off buddy as I land the first fish while he's still dicking around with nots etc.

as far as 10 foot goes, don't you want a nice new 10' monster, I know I do for fishing the flats

and if you've got the tube then you're going to need to fill it...right (no wife that's an olde rod, these aren't the droids you're looking for)

good luck

Not something home made, but I own a great PVC rod-holder that hold my quiver (without reels)...

It is telescoping which you may not need, but essentially has holes at six inch increments to slide the smaller pipe further into the larger pipe and a button pin thingy to lock it into the desired length. It also has a hinged door that attaches to the capped end, to fully open the storage pipe. It secures closed/opens via a buckle riveted on. The buckle is great cause you can also get a small inexpensive lock and your rod holder is a little more secure.

Ok, so I went to the hardware store and couldn't find any PVC bigger than 4 inch diameter. Kinda defeats the purpose, I guess.

What do you guys think of these things?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...026&hasJS=true

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    I guess I don't understand why 4" diameter isn't big enough. Seems you could get a couple of rods in there, even pack it with 1" diameter tubes to hold seperate rods. Also, instead of u-bolts, why not simply set it in the tray of a bike rack and strap it down with those gizmos that hold the wheels to the rack? This of course assumes that you've got a bike rack on your car.
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

I've seen ones around here where people get one of those small briefcase style drybox with foam on the inside(for camera's I think) to protect the reels and then attach 3 or 4 long tubes of black pvc to it. Never seen one up close so I don't know exactly how it all goes together but it looks nice.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Steepdeepnlong View Post
    I guess I don't understand why 4" diameter isn't big enough. Seems you could get a couple of rods in there, even pack it with 1" diameter tubes to hold seperate rods. Also, instead of u-bolts, why not simply set it in the tray of a bike rack and strap it down with those gizmos that hold the wheels to the rack? This of course assumes that you've got a bike rack on your car.
    Hellz yah....I think I am gonna try to rig something like this up in my bike racks for this summer. What a great, simple, and cheap idea. Already have the PVC...I wouldn't use more than 2" diameter pvc...4" pvc seems wayyyyyy to big imho. With that much diameter you could probably fit 10 rods in a tube???

Yeah, I have a bike rack and thought about mounting it to that.

I wanted larger diameter to keep reels attached. My thought was, if I was going to only store rods in it (without reels), what is the difference between that and having them broken down in their tubes.

I was looking to transport multiple fully rigged rods from spot to spot with more protection on top of the car.

In the past, when just going from spot to spot, I have just clamped them into my ski rack. It works pretty well, but the rod tips go way past the back of the car that way.

I am continuing to look into different options here.

if you guys do this don't forget to affix a nose cone on the front and fins on the back!

would be fucking hilarious to ride around with a giant missile strapped to the top of the car!
    I like chicks who ride. Especially if they're cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tick View Post
    if you guys do this don't forget to affix a nose cone on the front and fins on the back!

would be fucking hilarious to ride around with a giant missile strapped to the top of the car!
    pure awesomeness.

72-I don't think you would want to enclose your entire rod and reel into the tube. It seems like it would get bounced back and forth and could break the tip of your rod. I was thinking more of a system like in a drift boat, but with some sort of attachment at the end of the tube to keep your rod and reel from sliding out, or moving around (like two screws screwed into a coupler-so they don't go through the original tube, then use a voile ski strap to keep the rod and reel in place.

I helped a buddy build a rod carrier a few years ago. Sorry no pics though. We took a plano tackle box and drilled 4-2" holes, evenly spaced, 1/2" from the top edge with a hole saw. We then affixed 10' PVC via threaded couplers and washers. That was affixed to his rack on his topper with u-bolts. It worked awesome. You could lock the Plano box as well. Make sure the Plano box is attached so the hinges are on the bottom so the lid stays open when accessing the rods.

Here it is, hope it's not too late
    Saw this up at Alyeska a couple weeks ago and remembered this thread
    this looks neat and clean, the tubes here in Kodiak are all for spinners and don't
    have this reel box unit
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

btw -sweet day of skiing

That thing looks burly.

That thing is awesome. Where might I find that reel end piece?

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    That thing looks burly.
    "built for Alaskan loads on Alaskan roads"
    -local AK trailer manufacturer jingle

-marine supply or electrical supply shops might have that reel end piece
    Last edited by DeathVan; 04-02-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks! I am still looking for the right combination of materials to make something like this.

Plus, I have a nice collection of stickers waiting for the right tube as well.

I was thinking, if I find/build something like this, I will paint it black, rather than keeping it in the basic PVC white.

a little fish silhouette (like the WW2 fighterplanes) on the tube for each fish caught would be killer

I'll look out for that end piece as well, could probably sell these to a few folks

I might buy one.

I have tried a few ways with PVC, but nothing was real great. I am actually going to bite the bullet and buy a titan rod tube made by Bode Outfitters here in CO $395 gets you a ten foot system with three locking tubes. Streamer, Nymph, Dry always rigged any questions. Boyah!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Here it is, hope it's not too late
    Saw this up at Alyeska a couple weeks ago and remembered this thread
    this looks neat and clean, the tubes here in Kodiak are all for spinners and don't
    have this reel box unit
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

btw -sweet day of skiing
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    That thing is awesome. Where might I find that reel end piece?
    Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I might buy one.

What kind of $$ would you pay for one of these? Looks like it would be pretty simple for me to set up a mold and make a few out of fiberglass.