Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reel End Piece

All we need is the reel end piece and we're in. I've been searching for a while. Any info?

Quote Originally Posted by Death Cookie View Post
    All we need is the reel end piece and we're in. I've been searching for a while. Any info?
    Like I said, pretty sure I could make up a bunch of these out of fiberglass. I just need to get a few people to chime in on what they would pay so that i can make sure it will be worth my time and affordable to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Like I said, pretty sure I could make up a bunch of these out of fiberglass. I just need to get a few people to chime in on what they would pay so that i can make sure it will be worth my time and affordable to you guys.
    I'd take at least 2 if I could get them in the $25.00/per range.
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

It looks like that thing could be some type of meter housing and the pipe and coupling look like standard PVC plumbing stock. Or do you think it is custom molded PVC?

Yeah, I'd be on something like this in a heart beat for 25 bucks.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Anyone find out what that end piece is? I have searched through google and came up blank.
    on the send bus to gnar town

Quote Originally Posted by adipose View Post
    I'd take at least 2 if I could get them in the $25.00/per range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    It looks like that thing could be some type of meter housing and the pipe and coupling look like standard PVC plumbing stock. Or do you think it is custom molded PVC?

Yeah, I'd be on something like this in a heart beat for 25 bucks.
    $25/ea is a little lower then what I was thinking....

For $25, what do you expect it to do?

• water/dust tight?
    • padded?
    • include the coupling?

I'm going to guess that a hinge and the hasp is going to run me about $10.

Not expecting much for $25, heck I could even buy and mount the hardware myself while adding the PVC piping. I understand $25 is a bit of a sucker punch. Here's the full deal for $200.00 http://www.sportube.com/pages/rack_mounted.php
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

that sporttube is reel nice....but $200 is too much

the white PVC means that it is plumbing related
    I've been searching plumbing supply sites for hinged end caps to no end
    (it may be related to wells or septic systems??)

I don't have much in the way of resources here (ie plumber supply stores)
    maybe someone can take that picture down to a shop and see what they say

krp8128- thanks for the offer to build these, but they are available somewhere, it's just in the finding

I would bet that's a locking monitoring well cap/casing cover of some sort. See if that turns up any google results for anyone
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Somebody has to know what that part is and where to find. I would be interested in the part as well if it could be purchased from a traditional supply partner. I searched Google and did not find anything.

Can someone start a thread in the Padded Room and see if someone has an answer?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

^^^^[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191517"]What pipe fitting is this?[/ame]

Done.

this link has some upclose pix of the sportube doublehaul (minor spam alert).

http://www.backcountryracks.com/spor...-rod-case.html
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Is that gasketed or does it just have the lip around the seam?

Is that gasketed or does it just have the lip around the seam?
    Why? You worried about your reel getting wet?

If you are worried about road dirt, just wrap a rag around it.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Why? You worried about your reel getting wet?

If you are worried about road dirt, just wrap a rag around it.
    Was worried about the road dirt, and deciding how complicated/cheap I can make one for.

What you're probably looking for is some sort of hinged electrical junction box with pvc conduit suited to your needs. Not hard to find, you just need to be in the right section of the store. NEMA enclosures should be weatherproof enough.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    It looks like that thing could be some type of meter housing and the pipe and coupling look like standard PVC plumbing stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    What you're probably looking for is some sort of hinged electrical junction box with pvc conduit suited to your needs. Not hard to find, you just need to be in the right section of the store. NEMA enclosures should be weatherproof enough.
    Must find.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

Square NEMA enclosures aren't cheap (from what I have seen), I can't imagine this would be anywhere close $25. I'll stop in at an electrical supply house tomorrow and see what they think.

Aren't most PVC electrical fittings gray?

I don't think it actually exist.

Here's an idea....

Buy this...modify appropriately (coupling/extension/paint).

I've thought about taking one of these:

fixing it to a certain length and cutting off the end and making it so it hinges closed and locks with hasp then bolting it to the thule bars. Might be worth the effort if I could find a used one cheap enough.

Square NEMA enclosures aren't cheap (from what I have seen), I can't imagine this would be anywhere close $25. I'll stop in at an electrical supply house tomorrow and see what they think.

Aren't most PVC electrical fittings gray?
    Yes, electrical pvc is grey. That pipe fitting is totally a custom deal. However something like this + some conduit + a hinge and you're done for $50.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVO View Post
    I've thought about taking one of these:

fixing it to a certain length and cutting off the end and making it so it hinges closed and locks with hasp then bolting it to the thule bars. Might be worth the effort if I could find a used one cheap enough.
    that exact product already exists from the same company.

sportube double haul
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    that exact product already exists from the same company.

sportube double haul

Yeah, I know. But that's almost $200. I was thinking I could find a used sportube for under $50 and add hinges and hasp/lock and I am under $75.

A buddy and I made one of these tubes form pvc in highschool, it looked less than professional. It was just 2" pvc with pipe insulation inside. We found some random fittings and the reels just kinda hung down and were covered by a sort of sock we made. We used a screw in pvc cap with a thru rod and a luggage lock to keep it secure even though it would have been easy to rip the whole thing off of the roof. I think you could make a really good one out of some smaller pieces of pvc running into a pelican case or something of that nature. if any of you are entrepreneurs you could probably make and sell the fittings and reel boxes to glue onto pvc and connect to roof racks.