Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do pros set DIN?

I'm talking downhill racers, big mountain skiers, etc. Is there a chart that gets more precise and deals more with speeds and forces? Is it just a guessing game?

If your binding releases when you don't want it to, crank it up? Or if a lost ski means really bad, crank it?

Something I've wondered, given that the DH race types especially are in a bit of a lose/lose scenario - I wouldn't really want to go through the 100km prerelease a couple of times to dial my DIN, but I also like my knees...

im sure a bit of it is just knowing...like if your going 80mph you know your gonna need a higher din. That and most of those guys have been racing since just out of diapers os its a bit of a progression. as they grow they have ot up the din as they get older and by the time they are on the DH they have just progressed to their current din. That and crashing at 80mph i doubt the last thing they are thinking is crap i hope my din isnt set to high. Im sure thats the same for all those guys. Hugo probably upped his as he progressively went bigger and faster.

As for a chart im pretty sure there is some sort of one somewhere as that is how the set rental binding din isnt it? by height and weight and skier ability or something like that.

if you crash hard enough, a ski will release at 16 or 18 or whatever.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    with a screwdriver, generally a #3 pozidrive or a #3 flathead.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

in soviet russia DIN sets you!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I just screwed steel plates to my skis and boots, and welded them together

Yeah, there's a chart, looks like this:

Choose One. You are a pro badass mutha and you like to:
    [x] win with my skis on
    [ ] fail and crash a lot because I'm too big of a gaping pussy to crank my DIN to it's max because this is my career and I don't want to risk hurting my lil acl'z when I am 10 seconds behind the leader who cranks their fucking DIN until the springs explode if and when they do crash. really? are you fucking seriously considering this fucked question? and if you are, then your DIN is too low.

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112009"]Get These[/ame], crank 'em to 30, and let it all hang out.

Losers. You KNOW how to set the DIN when you get sent THE chart. Haven't been sent THE chart? You don't ski well enough, stick to the "shop chart".
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Often people will set their din 1-2 higher in the back than in the front.

"Lock-in or Unload" is what an ex-pro racer once told me...

Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    if you crash hard enough, a ski will release at 16 or 18 or whatever.
    my acl tear was a release at 17... and I had the toe height snug enough to tear the afd.

That was enough of that shit for me. I don't think I ever went more than 13 after that.

Use the same method as tightening specs for carbon ... tighten until something cracks and then back it off a quarter turn.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Just like everyone else, 1 leg at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

When I released at 18 i was pissed because i thought i might been able to recover if i had stayed in (SG hip check at 60), but then i realized how much my ski bent before the bindings released, so it might have been for the best that i came out.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    When I released at 18 i was pissed because i thought i might been able to recover if i had stayed in (SG hip check at 60), but then i realized how much my ski bent before the bindings released, so it might have been for the best that i came out.
    Fuck. It sounds like you're bindings are set perfectly, are you a Pro?

Or maybe, over time, you turned up DINs until they suit the way you ski. Just like everyone else.

(Sarcasm not aimed at you Nick, just the retard OP & Toiletduck (who should know better) )
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Just like everyone else, 1 leg at a time
    Thats what I did. I kept inching the setting up one winter when the conditions were often hard snow. Then in the spring slush I had a nice slow tib/fib spiral fracture, a rod put in, a total of eight surgeries and three weeks in the hospital. Good times! I ski with my din around 11 now, down from 14.

They don't fuck around they go right to....
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

^I went with the spinal tap method as well.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

I would think that pros set their DIN depending on the situation?
    Bottom it out to charge comps, a bit easier when filming and a lot easier in the beginning of the season or when hamming it up for tourists with their buddies in the spring slush.

Every experienced skier knows you dont use the same DIN all the time. Im guessing the pros have figured that out as well.

-peace
    /r

OP, do you use a chart to set your DIN???

I just turn mine up a notch whenever they pre-release until I find the right balance of releasing in a crash and staying on when needed. I would bet most pros do the same.

They get together a consortium of German engineers, and "set" a massive standards specification for all sorts of registered engineering applications.

yesturday I was talking to a medical guy on out the GS course & I asked him WTF was that thing he had straped to his pack that looks like a big caulking gun ?

to remove skis from bindings when the racer crashes ... on closer examination 2 arms hold the ski while a plunger works the release