FS or FT Toyota Matrix 34K for Subaru Wagon and thoughts???

I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix with only 34K on it- works flawlessly, gets good mileage (as low as 28 in the snow around town, and as high as 42 w/ out the roof rack). Blue Book is about $8,500. The only issue is we're expecting a child in June and already have a dog and it seems the cargo space is going to be rather small.

I'm thinking of selling it and getting a Legacy/Outback to basically double the cargo space, but to do this I'd be looking at older models with quite a bit more mileage (70-100K). Being that I will likely not have to do anything to the Matrix mechanically for several years, I'm wondering how good of an idea this is- should I just make good use of the rocket box and live with the smaller space?

Getting some PMs about the Matrix.

More interested in peoples thoughts on a subaru with @100K on it. There must be 100s of owners on this site alone.

Can I expect major repairs around 100K to 140K or so(clutch, brakes, timing belt)? Never owned an automatic- any reason to look at subaru automatics? Can I expect 200k + like all my toyota trucks?
    Last edited by gunniride; 02-23-2010 at 08:50 AM.

keep the matrix: cheaper to run daily (better mpg), less repairs (lower mileage). when you need more space for gear, box, rack, hitch mount rack (all removable for daily use)

Not interested in the trade, but I just want to say, Matrix=sweet.

I'm at close to 80k on my 07, tires and brakes are the only thing I've had to do. Hell the brakes lasted until 70k. average 35 in the summer, 29 with the snows on and those numbers are with a roof rack, thats with an auto. Non-human cargo space is hudge.

Pretty sluggish off the line and the AC kinds sucks, my only complaints, to me neither of those are really an issue.

If gas prices truly spike again, you should have no problem getting a good price for that car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    keep the matrix: cheaper to run daily (better mpg), less repairs (lower mileage). when you need more space for gear, box, rack, hitch mount rack (all removable for daily use)
    Dude, you're not helping me out here...

I did what you're thinking about doing, except with a Vibe. Keep the Matrix, or trade it for an AWD model. I love my Subie, but there are more personalities than I can count. Both me and my wife have 2000 Outback Ltds. Nice, but there is a LOT of give with the take. Ours have 67 & 77k on them respectively.

I'd rather have the Toys with AWD, since it a fairly rare occasion that the Legendary Suby AWD comes into play.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Keep the car, it's the cheaper option and spend a little $$ on a roof box. You'll save $$ on gas and repairs and have a car you know the history on not buying someone else's potential disaster.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Roof box = way to go.

Is the matrix 4 wheel drive? That would draw me to a subi, but if it already is 4 wheel drive keep the matrix and add a rooftop box. Then again, if youre not in an area where a 4x4 is useful then that wont matter to you. Lower miles is always the best option.

I'd keep the Matrix and get a box if you have to. I've had a few Soobs with up to 100k and never had major repairs, although 100k range is starting to push it.

With one kid you can put a car seat in the middle of the rear - might be worth making sure you can pull that off, especially with a bulkier rear facing seat you'll use for awhile. If you don't have the option to mount in the middle, you should check leg room behind drivers and pass seats.
    bodies be all up on my behind

To answer your question about 100k+ Subies.

Yes there are some things that will need to be fixed. Timing belt is one that you should make sure has been done before you get the car. Even if it's not bad, it will be soon and it's kinda expensive on the newer cars. I'm not sure about the clutch but I believe they recommend it be changed around that time.

Just FYI In my family and friends circle there are 6 100k+ subies and 3 200k+. If taken care of they will last forever. My parents bought me one with 107k miles on it for $3k. It now has 210k miles on it and not more than $2k in repairs/parts over the last 5 years (that includes expendable things like tires).

Just look for a car with a 2.5L or less engine and avoid the 3.0 H6 like the plague.

I would keep the Matrix unless you can get a Suby with lower milage. My 1996 outback has 160k and still runs strong despite some loss in gas milage. Normal upkeep and repairs and I'll be driving this thing 250k+ (knock on wood)...Suby + roof rack + trailer= well accommodated family vacations.

Only reason I say keep the Matrix is because trading a 34k car for something 100k seems like you'd be taking a big loss (especially with timing belt, clutch, ect repairs usually done around 100k)....But I would own a Subaru over a Matrix anyday....

Thanks for all the advice. With the reliability of a Toyota, plus the low miles, I should be on the better side of $ by keeping it. I guess playing with the cargo space and a baby seat (with the 2/3 seat folded down), I could get an idea of what I can expect to pack in there.

Already have a roof rack and rocket box, so I guess I'll just try using it for something other than a shit ton of skis.

Sorry Hick....

Small trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by gunniride View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. With the reliability of a Toyota, plus the low miles, I should be on the better side of $ by keeping it. I guess playing with the cargo space and a baby seat (with the 2/3 seat folded down), I could get an idea of what I can expect to pack in there.

Already have a roof rack and rocket box, so I guess I'll just try using it for something other than a shit ton of skis.

Sorry Hick....
    I don't blame ya, my vote in your situation would be to keep the Toyota, but I'm biased and wanted your Matrix. The Corrola's starting to rack up the miles. Good luck with the kiddo, and if you decide it's to small (the car) let me know.

We have a 2009 Corolla and a 2001 Subaru Forester. The Corolla is impeccably made, gets incredible fuel economy, is cheap to insure, and service is inexpensive. The Subaru has expensive parts, an insurance bill 2X the Corolla despite being eight years older, and so-so fuel economy.

But, on it's Blizzaks, the Scoob is unstoppable in the snow. With a roof box, it's carried four ski mountaineers and their gear up some hideous roads in horrible weather. Despite high parts and service prices, it's been very reliable and averages <$1500 in service and repairs per year.

The Corolla is also on premium snow tires, and we try to take it whenever possible. The fuel economy alone has us choosing it as much as we can.

My subie with 130k miles (98 Outback Legacy) shat the bed in a huge way today. Broken timing belt, maybe the whole engine fucked. I've yet to see a subie go 200,000 miles without something major, seems like they always blow head-gaskets or something. It was on the way home from a ~30" powder day, so not feeling too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I did what you're thinking about doing, except with a Vibe. Keep the Matrix, or trade it for an AWD model. I love my Subie, but there are more personalities than I can count. Both me and my wife have 2000 Outback Ltds. Nice, but there is a LOT of give with the take. Ours have 67 & 77k on them respectively.

I'd rather have the Toys with AWD, since it a fairly rare occasion that the Legendary Suby AWD comes into play.
    Guy lives in Gunnison. It snows there till 4th of July. BS if Subaru AWD doesn't come into play.

All, I can say is if you get a Suby with the 2.5 L 4 cyl make sure the previous owner has completed the proper maint. especially the timing belt or you can plan on a new motor in the near future. I have had two 2.2 L and they are very forgiving and powerful with manual trans. AT in the 2.2 sucks for power. I have had a 3.0 L 6 cyl and it is kick ass. I have not been stopped by any snow in my Subaru.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    My subie with 130k miles (98 Outback Legacy) shat the bed in a huge way today. Broken timing belt, maybe the whole engine fucked. I've yet to see a subie go 200,000 miles without something major, seems like they always blow head-gaskets or something. It was on the way home from a ~30" powder day, so not feeling too bad...
    complete BS above.
    i've yet to see a subie not get 220,000 miles. there were gasket issues with the 99-02(?) models. Once fixed, no problem.
    the engine parts are NOT expensive, as mentioned above.
    all cars need the timing belt changed at a certain point, and will shit the floor w/o getting it done. for most subies, that's at 90 grand.
    i'm also highly suspect about the insurance claim above.

but really it depends where you live, and how important the AWD is.

I have a '98 Outback w/ 147k on it, and I had a Scion xa with a roof box. I have 3 kids in car seats and a 100lb bull mastiff. We managed a week's camping gear with the 3 kids and the dog using a roof box on the Scion, and your matrix is bigger.

That said, love my scooby-ru....no longer have the Scion (mazda5 now).
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan