Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can't afford a babysitter?

Today, I saw something amazing. Before today, the crazies thing I had seen was someone with a rope around their toddler (or lease), and pulling on it to control the toddlers speed.

Well today I saw someone with a baby on their back!! I was about to get off the chair when I saw the person ski by, so I go up to the top lift attendant and say "DID SOMEONE JUST SKI BY WITH A BABY ON THEIR BACK???!!!" and the liftee was like "yeah, they are trying to get the little guy accustomed to skiing"

that is a baaad idea. I thought that was illegal.

someone was doing it earlier this year at alta... and it was a big powder day.

Legal in JH. Coombs used to shred with his kid. I have taken my kid on the mtn for some cruisy riding. He was about one fifth of the weight of a typical camera pack. Kept it slow and it was cool. I would say as long as you are well within your range it is fine. It is not much different than riding a bike stroller in certain areas. If you are a duck and OC then it is bad.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

We've had this discussion here not too long ago.

OMG. Kids are outside spending time with their parents. What a tragedy.
    I have the El Nino blues.

my aunt and uncle has my baby cousin XC skiing with them when she was <1 yr old. It was in a stroller with skis for wheels, but still.

I wish my parents had taken me skiing that early
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I just try and keep the airs under 30 feet when i've got junior on my back. But its cool cause I put a whole bunch of towels around him in case of an impact, just like jamie pierre. Safety meetings in the trees can be awkward though when all my bros figure out I brought my kid.

This used to be really common at bridger, I havent seen it as much though these days.

hopefully no backslappin
    Nothing is impossible, you are only limited by fear, and even that can be overcome. -Seth Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I just try and keep the airs under 30 feet when i've got junior on my back.
    Why stop there, at +30 they're softer than a spine protector.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I just had my first child this last summer. My wife asked me if I was going to carry her on my back to introduce her to skiing.

No. If I want her to have fun in the snow, we'll go sledding, and play like kids play. She can go skiing when she's actually old enough to do it. I just can't imagine what benefit the child gets from riding being in a backpack as opposed to sitting in a sled. Thankfully, my local resort allows sleds, toboggans, bikes, whateverthefuck at the base.

Cross-country skiing to the supermarket with my kid on my back does, however, make tons of sense.

I didn't even want to go skiing my first time. I remember it. It was my 3rd birthday. I had been sledding all day and when I came in, my parents said-

"We're going to take you skiing."
    "What's skiing?"
    "It's like sledding, but you stand up on skis and ride a chair to the top."
    (insert image of person sitting in magic recliner that goes to the top.)
    "Can I bring my sled?"
    "No."
    "Can I just go back outside?"
    "Trust me, you'll like it."

I did like it. They were right, but I also skied myself.

Rooster Guest
    Watch "Steep". I don't see a problem with it. Just don't fall. JONG.

It's probably safer than consuming 15 bottles of diet Dr. Pepper.

I didn't do it when Joey was young enough, but wish I had.
    He would have loved it.

Regarding safety, I'm not talking about going lightning-fast down diamonds, though he would have loved that too.

Even if you're right and it is a stupid idea, so what if he can't afford a babysitter? None of us are rich, we've all made sacrifices and done stupid things so we can go skiing. You don't know the person's situation. Stop being so goddamn critical. The guy loves to ski and brings his kid with him. That's pretty cool if you ask me.

It's better than holding junior up by the armpits with him skiing between your legs, then losing control, then dropping him, then tripping over him, which I saw last weekend.

That marked the first time I heard audible gasps while riding a chair over the bunny slope.
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSpotted... View Post
    It's better than holding junior up by the armpits with him skiing between your legs, then losing control, then dropping him, then tripping over him, which I saw last weekend.

That marked the first time I heard audible gasps while riding a chair over the bunny slope.
    I laughed at the second part.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    This used to be really common at bridger, I havent seen it as much though these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpskier View Post
    I laughed at the second part.
    You probably laughed at this, too?... I know I did.

fwiw... I x-country skied with baby on board. It was great for all involved... getting outside, exercise for Dad and fun for baby. She skis on her own, now, too!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Even on any slope, I would consider this beyond dangerous. It doesn't really matter if the kid likes it, even if you stick to the groomers, you could still have a collision with someone and fall. A soft landing could really bruise a toddler up...

I would say let the kids stick to sledding. Introduce them to skiing when they can stand up on the skis on their own, maintaining control.

I'd say it's pretty fine if you're a rock solid skier on an easy slope with NO other traffic.

But, there's snowboarders out there man, those fuckers'll kill you and your kid without even stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by NorEasterSkier View Post
    Even on any slope, I would consider this beyond dangerous. It doesn't really matter if the kid likes it, even if you stick to the groomers, you could still have a collision with someone and fall. A soft landing could really bruise a toddler up...

I would say let the kids stick to sledding. Introduce them to skiing when they can stand up on the skis on their own, maintaining control.

You could stick them in a padded room until they're 30 too! But then they might fall and get rug burns . My God, is there any hope for complete and total safety for our children? Will we ever see the day?

Seriously!? I'm gonna go with strapping a kid in a car seat in LA being more dangerous. At some point, you've got to realize that life has risk! I'll take the risk of an injury to my kid that will heal quickly versus the life long effects of sitting them in front of a gaming console day in/day out.

No babysitter required here.

Too damn easy to catch an edge on a groomer or have somebody turn into you on a run. Why take the chance ?
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin Panda View Post
    Today, I saw something amazing. Before today, the crazies thing I had seen was someone with a rope around their toddler (or lease), and pulling on it to control the toddlers speed.
    This is how the young ones learn to be extra sick.

As far as a backpack and kids go, to each their own. If it is something you are comfortable doing fine, if not then don't, but don't judge those who do. Hiking in Yosemite can be just as dangerous as skiing with the rockfall, tourists, and horses on the trail.

I would do that, although he kid on the back of the guy at Alta looked old enough to work there
    Hello darkness my old friend

A little less safe:
    Attachment 74394