Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670163912.849752.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	436647
    XCD fun

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mrs P’s Salomon Profil boots are worn out. Anyone have a pair of size 42 2/3 in the closet for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Mrs P’s Salomon Profil boots are worn out. Anyone have a pair of size 42 2/3 in the closet for sale?
    No way! I just donated a pair to the local used gear store. When I go back over there if they’re still there I’ll see if I can get them back. Is that like a Men’s 9 or so? I wear a 43.5ish 27.5 mondo and these were slightly too small for me. But, they’re pretty old albeit functional.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    No way! I just donated a pair to the local used gear store. When I go back over there if they’re still there I’ll see if I can get them back. Is that like a Men’s 9 or so? I wear a 43.5ish 27.5 mondo and these were slightly too small for me. But, they’re pretty old albeit functional.
    Around a men’s 9-9 1/2 sounds about right. Euro 42 is too small on her and 42 2/3 is just right.

Something like these.

Name:	Image1670250557.032570.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	278.5 KB 
ID:	436758

Salomon has moved to NNN but all her skis have SNS Profil bindings.

I want to get into nordic. Should I do skate skiing or classic? Since I do backcountry classic looks a lot more peaceful and fun. No one likes skating in skis.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    I want to get into nordic. Should I do skate skiing or classic? Since I do backcountry classic looks a lot more peaceful and fun. No one likes skating in skis.
    Start at post #307 in this very thread.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Start at post #307 in this very thread.
    Thanks! I went through about 5 pages before giving up and asking.

Well it’s kind of what people said, classic is easier to find used gear and just get out there, and you don’t necessarily need groomed trails. It’s fancy walking.

HLN-specific content:

Nordic is about the most reliable winter activity here. Once the track is set at Mac Pass, it tends to hold until spring. Since they groom for skate, and classic, both are options at the pass. It’s a bitch of a place to learn to skate, though. Long off-camber climbs to get up to the rolling terrain. When the golf course has snow, it’s not a bad spot to learn, but a trip to West Yellowstone is your best option if you choose skate.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    HLN-specific content:

Nordic is about the most reliable winter activity here. Once the track is set at Mac Pass, it tends to hold until spring. Since they groom for skate, and classic, both are options at the pass. It’s a bitch of a place to learn to skate, though. Long off-camber climbs to get up to the rolling terrain. When the golf course has snow, it’s not a bad spot to learn, but a trip to West Yellowstone is your best option if you choose skate.
    Yeah seems like the best exercise close to town without a fat bike which is why I have been getting interested. Plus the fitness would be great for BC.

Edit: SOLD

Name:  skate1 (2).jpg
Views: 350
Size:  55.5 KB Name:  skate2 (2).jpg
Views: 360
Size:  55.8 KB Name:  skate3 (2).jpg
Views: 366
Size:  77.2 KB

Won these at a Christmas work party a few years ago, never took the plunge to mount them up and learn to skate. I don't know dick about skate skis, but Solly has them listed with a weight range between 164-198 lbs. 192 cm Yellow (Universal/compact snow conditions).
    Last edited by MarsB; 12-06-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Do you like to wear spandex?

20km of freshly groomed skate this morning - all to myself. Conditions were too good to get pictures. Will have to try again another day this week.

From what i seen going to ski swaps for alot of years at least around here I think its got much harder to find used gear than it was in the past, it looks to me like there is just less of it to the point where the alpine ski club and the XC ski club have combined their swaps maybe its different in your neck of the woods ?

it doesnt necessarily mean you find the right ski/ right flex/ right binding/ right size boot and if yer new at it you don't know,

I seen a roomy come home with a nice looking upper end setup except they were classic boots and skate skis

might have to buy the gear new and pay list ... oh the humanity
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Been on the lookout for used gear for a while...both classic (or BC-xc) for the wife and I and skate for myself and it has been rough. Even new gear is limited stock.

Had 2 real nice pairs of skis in my hand at a used shop in Oregon in August but thought they were priced a bit too high. Now I regret not buying them.

Just ordered a bunch of lower-end classic gear from that The House PSA sale (Rossi Evo XT 60s, a few boot options, and some cheap poles). I'd like higher end skate gear for myself, but for kicking around on FS roads and whatever else occasional XC my wife thinks we are going to do, these should work out.

I still feel like I paid way more than I should have, but most of the used gear I have seen is either beat to shit or way overpriced.

When I got into classic I bought the cheapest boots, skis, and poles I could find at REI. I still use them today as they work well enough for me. I do wish I had some metal edged backcountry skis for going off trail, but I don't do that enough to justify a purchase.

Skate I went with some 'training' skis that are not nearly as fast or as cambered as the more expensive race versions, but as long as I keep them waxed then the main limiting factor is my coordination and fitness level. Boots I got a previous year model that were a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I can keep those around for longer.

This was all years ago though, so things may have changed. Local clubs around here put on ski swaps in the fall, and some gear starts going on sale as early as February.

I'd love to get out on some nicer skate skis some day so I can see what I'm missing, but maybe I'm better off not knowing.

I bought cheap skate gear to get started and it served me well, but I was unable to find that next step up used. I think guys and gals simply use it until it’s trash. Bought the bullet and got boots and skis this year. So far so good.

Name:	Image1670300055.804677.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	436887
    Perfect midwinter conditions on December 4th. Crazy.

Yep. I haven't been bringing my phone out but have been in awe so far.

Oh ya, skate skiers be like that sometimes.

Jealous, man that is tight, those tracks look bomb proof. I like trying to stay in the tracks on my skate skis going downhill for as long as I can hang on, it’s scary good times going into sharp corners at like 20mph!
    It’s still bike season back east, soon come hopefully.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    From what i seen going to ski swaps for alot of years at least around here I think its got much harder to find used gear than it was in the past, it looks to me like there is just less of it to the point where the alpine ski club and the XC ski club have combined their swaps maybe its different in your neck of the woods ?
    From what I've heard, XC gear was in particularly high demand during the pandemic. The fact is that there are only a few manufacturers making a relatively a small amount of equipment (comparative to the rest of the outdoor sports industry), and subject to the same supply chain issues as every one else.
    Montani Semper Liberi

The ski swaps I went to this year were grim. Clapped out gear for high prices. Play it Again Sports nearest you is not a bad bet. At least their prices are lower, for the same worn out gear.