Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    petit train du nord, used to be a train to tremblant round trip that would stop at all the little hills for a quarter before they built the stupid highway.

now it’s your normal NE rail to trail with a lot of lakes, rivers, cottonheads, etc. goes forever and some of the sections are pretty nice, and it’s one of the only free spaces to get out in the laurentians. fucking crowded on the weekend.
    Ah, so Quebec (on the far side of the River) is part of New England (NE) now?

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Where is that? Looks choice.
    I was back up at Green Woodlands today, saw the man himself, Bob Green, grooming with a snowmobile. Too thin for the cat tillers, snow coming though! If you don’t know the story on Bob Green, he’s awesome, I’ll just leave it at that!

https://www.greenwoodlandsfoundation.org/
    Perfect blue-sky day, 32* and fast snow. I really think Nordic is my new jam, especially on this low snow season.
    Attachment 443065

One of the warming huts, fully stocked, all for free!
    Attachment 443066
    Been there a number of times. Incredible place. Dog friendly.

Just went down a Green Woodlands Strava rabbit hole. Y’all need to see this ski from a couple of years ago from Simi Hamilton. It insane how fast World Cup skiers are, and to do it for this duration?!?!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4980865468
    crab in my shoe mouth

I just ran into Simi’s FIL at a party last weekend. He and Sophie are enjoying Basalt these days but still came back to VT for the holidays.

I've got new skate skis, boots, bindings on the way. Brand new nice stuff will be a big step up from my thrift shop set up with combi boots. I ordered the boots and skis from bobleisure.com (German retailer?) after seeing the 4 page thread here on TGR verifying it's legit; but they had no bindings. Ordered the bindings from a shop in Portland, OR. The stuff from Germany is scheduled to get here a day sooner than Oregon?

Rosie Brennan and Julie Kern got on the podium this AM. Well Done Ladies.

going nordic = going ghay?

Finally starting to snow back east, more K opening daily, still kinda thin in spots, but generally very good skiing. It’s dumping right now and we’re looking at another 8-10 tonight!
    From today at Woodstock Nordic
    Smelled the wood stove from a ways off, so skied over to the cabin and sat by the stove for a few minutes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1674435691.229281.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	444059

Name:	Image1674435730.344833.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	444060

Name:	Image1674435873.038178.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	444062
    crab in my shoe mouth

sweet
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Rosie Brennan and Julie Kern got on the podium this AM. Well Done Ladies.
    Hell yes.

Anyone have recs for a good midweight skate ski mitten? I have a lingering hand injury so currently have to keep my middle and index fingers buddy taped together while skiing. My Flylow oven mitts are too bulky for my pole straps and also too toasty. Could do split finger down the middle as well but mainly want something that keeps me warm but not too hot in 15-25 degree temps (my hands don’t run particularly cold)
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

My wife skis in Swix lobster gloves. keeps her plenty warm while XC skiing and she runs very cold.

I think her current pair is the women’s version of these

https://www.rei.com/product/158707/s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I get my light XC gloves at Home Depot for about $20
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Lots of lobster gloves. Hestra’s has a removeable wool liner and is warmer, the Jessie Diggins model from Swix has much better dexterity. Dahlie has mittens and lobsters that work well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Lots of lobster gloves. Hestra’s has a removeable wool liner and is warmer, the Jessie Diggins model from Swix has much better dexterity. Dahlie has mittens and lobsters that work well.
    Damn - don’t show my wife those Jessie gloves with the embroidered snowflakes or we will have a few more pairs laying around.

Cool thanks, the Swix lobster ones look pretty good for the price
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

recs on keeping the lungs in working order for extended (weeks) single digit workouts?

buff would probably not be enjoyable but may work?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wool mask? Or something like this: https://www.bouldernordic.com/airtri...ir-mask-4.html

Never heard of lung issues even skiing below -30C. But certainly exposed face skin gets challenged. For aerobic activities not at work, I prefer a nice long wool scarf that can be adjusted as needed. A buff wouldn’t be enough insulation. Moisture from either breath or nose is the harder part to manage, below -20C everything ices up after a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    recs on keeping the lungs in working order for extended (weeks) single digit workouts?

FWIW I've had was more trouble with my feet at cold temps than lungs. I do have exercise induced asthma so typically take an inhaler puff at the beginning of a ski and am fine.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

There are studies showing you should avoid doing frequent max. aerobic exertion when colder than -15C (5F). Here's one:

https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2020/0...ty%20Images%29

While doing high-level aerobic activities during these colder temps, you should consider using a thin buff/scarf pulled over your mouth, at least part of the time -- and try to breathe in through your nose as much as possible.

Years ago, I competed in numerous skimo and snowshoe races when the temps were below -15C. I had a bad feeling in my lungs during the beginnings of those races, but it "got better" during the race, so I continued -- but I now regret it, because I think it damaged my lungs. Within a few years of these races, I noticed a decrease in my aerobic capacity and I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma -- I don't think it's a coincidence.

Again, this is for continuous high-level aerobic winter activity, not downhill skiing or your typical tour, where you can stop or slow down when necessary.

The time is now! Finally broke the new skate rockets out for their maiden voyage. Zach picked me the perfect pair at Caldwell Sport/West Hill. Freaking things glow on the snow. More snow coming tomorrow night, bring it!

Name:	Image1674585895.308886.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	444340
    crab in my shoe mouth

Oh shit bro ... you're upside down!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    The time is now! Finally broke the new skate rockets out for their maiden voyage. Zach picked me the perfect pair at Caldwell Sport/West Hill. Freaking things glow on the snow. More snow coming tomorrow night, bring it!

Name:	Image1674585895.308886.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	444340
    Those just look fast sitting there.

Anyone got a line on a good deal on some 191-192 mid-range skate skis? 6'2/195lb so likely a stiff for models that come in medium and stiff.

I'm coming back to nordic and not trying to spend a ton of money...just doing it for fun/fitness but I appreciate a nice ski when it comes to skating.

I think I finally found myself a pair of boots that fits well, but the only pair of skis I could find locally in my size was a Salomon RS7 and I'd like to be at least a step above that.

This seems like it would be great: https://www.gorhambike.com/product/f...m-412543-1.htm
    But that's a medium and they don't have the stiff in stock in 191.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Anyone have recs for a good midweight skate ski mitten? I have a lingering hand injury so currently have to keep my middle and index fingers buddy taped together while skiing. My Flylow oven mitts are too bulky for my pole straps and also too toasty. Could do split finger down the middle as well but mainly want something that keeps me warm but not too hot in 15-25 degree temps (my hands don’t run particularly cold)
    Just stumbled across these if you wanted to go the mitt route.
    https://www.skiessentials.com/armada...en-s-mitt.html
    Montani Semper Liberi