Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Yeah covid affected supply chains for all kinds of new products so i imagine that also means XC gear

but I was specificaly talking about a trend i've noticed for USED gear in the last 25 yrs of going to xc ski swaps there just seems to be less of the stuff every year

I've heard people say they are just gona buy something at the ski swap like its real easy and I'm saying its not easy matching up used gear also there is less of it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    From what I've heard, XC gear was in particularly high demand during the pandemic. The fact is that there are only a few manufacturers making a relatively a small amount of equipment (comparative to the rest of the outdoor sports industry), and subject to the same supply chain issues as every one else.
    I also heard in multiple shops that there was a huge fire that destroyed Fischer's biggest factory in fall of 2020...

Then they rebuilt that factory even bigger in 2021...but it was in Ukraine. I think there were also some other big facilities in Ukraine and Russia. They are not necessarily in hostile zones, but obviously making skis isn't necessarily the #1 priority on the minds of the people in those areas.

This supposedly destroyed the middle of the market. Racers still got their orders of top-end skis that manufacturers kept at home in places like Austria, and you could get low end stuff from china (but they had COVID supply chain issues)...but everything else saw backorders and long lead times.

^^^ Definitely was a factor last year…not so much for this season. Local ski shop is up 33% on ski packages from pre-Covid. People are just doing outdoor sports and cross country skiing is one of them, so they’re just isn’t used stuff around.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

small tip on xc boots

zipper fail on salomon xc ski boots, the zip separates and it appears to be from where the zip crosses/ rubs against one of the slightly protruding lace hooks under the zipper I have seen a few users temp fix with ductape and buy new boots next season

It only happened once to me but I have seen a few failures so I have since taken to NOT dragging the zip slider over that lace hook when i do up the boot, you might want to take note

Okay Maggot Nord Dorks - someone please school me or point me to a resource for understanding skate wax. I took a pair of new skis in to the shop this morning because a friend instructed me to have them “hot boxed” which I understand to be an enclosure that promotes deep wax penetration. They charged me nearly the cost of the skis!?! Then, for my rock skis, it was like 25 or 30 bucks for waxing with red? I thought skate skis just got glide wax!?! - signed Naive Ignorant Nordic Newbie Jong

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    small tip on xc boots

zipper fail on salomon xc ski boots, the zip appears to separate right where the zip crosses/ rubs against one of the slightly protruding lace hooks under the zipper I have seen a few users temp fix with ductape and buy new boots next season

It only happened once to me but I have seen a few failures so I have since taken to NOT dragging the zip slider over that lace hook when i do up the boot, you might want to take note
    Where were you 5 years ago to correct my ways proactively? My zipper blew out yesterday and I'm on the Gorilla tape train until ski season is over.

yeah hot boxing has usualy been a plywood box lined with aluminium foil with some incandesant bulbs/ fixtures screwed to the top for gentle heat, I've never bother to do it or have it done,

the hot box is also good for warming day old pizza

maybe you wana get into doing your own ski waxing, you need 3 colors and a real ski iron, i recommend getting a real ski iron and the reason is the temp control is better than you get on a shitty old clothes iron so you are less likely to bubble/ fack opp your base cuz bubbling a base is way easier than with waxing alpine skis , sometimes ski clubs or stores will do a waxing clinic which is a good thing

what you will probably notice on brand new skate skis is the wax will wear off pretty quick and the bases are whitish after only a 2 hr sesh, so the more you wax the more it builds up & the less it will wear off
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-06-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Where were you 5 years ago to correct my ways proactively? My zipper blew out yesterday and I'm on the Gorilla tape train until ski season is over.
    bummer, I bet you can see where it was hitting that hook ever time you used the zipper

i don't think there is any way to have that zip replaced

Instead of using the hippie chrome what you might do is get some boot cozyies

Any XC gear equivalent to telemark Pyrenees or Chain Reaction?
    A lot of XC ski gear is manufactured in Ukraine/Eastern Europe, guessing production is down as is the euro.
    Stumbled across to overseas shops but they don’t look overly international shipping driven.

https://www.ekosport.eu/4-687-cross-country-ski.html
    https://polder.se/

some domestic online shops
    http://www.xcskishop.com/
    https://nordicskater.com/

Guessing the Midwest is the hot bed for Nordic.

Anyone have more links that aren’t big box stores with token inventory? (REI and whatnot)
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah hot boxing has usualy been a plywood box lined with aluminium foil with some incandesant bulbs/ fixtures screwed to the top for gentle heat, I've never bother to do it or have it done,

the hot box is also good for warming day old pizza

maybe you wana get into doing your own ski waxing, you need 3 colors and a real ski iron, i recommend getting a real ski iron and the reason is the temp control is better than you get on a shitty old clothes iron so you are less likely to bubble/ fack opp your base cuz bubbling a base is way easier than with waxing alpine skis , sometimes ski clubs or stores will do a waxing clinic which is a good thing

what you will probably notice on brand new skate skis is the wax will wear off pretty quick and the bases are whitish after only a 2 hr sesh, so the more you wax the more it builds up & the less it will wear off
    Thanks mang.

I wax me own skis, with a shitty house iron. BUT, I think I will take your advice and buy a good iron this Xmas season. AND, try and take a clinic.

Also found a pair of Classic skis today with the little carpet patch, so I'm like a quintiple threat these days, I can suck at about any way a man might try and slide.

Ater years of the shitty irons I bought a Toko with the led-temperature readout and I have never regretted buying the best iron, also great for re-gluing climbing skins

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    A lot of XC ski gear is manufactured in Ukraine/Eastern Europe, guessing production is down as is the euro.
    Stumbled across to overseas shops but they don’t look overly international shipping driven.

https://www.ekosport.eu/4-687-cross-country-ski.html
    https://polder.se/

some domestic online shops
    http://www.xcskishop.com/
    https://nordicskater.com/

Guessing the Midwest is the hot bed for Nordic.

Anyone have more links that aren’t big box stores with token inventory? (REI and whatnot)
    Also check out

akers-ski.com

gearwest.com

bouldernordic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    I've ordered XC gear from SnowInn (based in Spain) and Varuste.net (based in Finland). Some companies (e.g. Salomon) won't allow delivery from Europe to the US.

Other places in the US: Pioneer Midwest, Gear West, Boulder Nordic Sport. Or support your local shop (if you have one).

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Okay Maggot Nord Dorks - someone please school me or point me to a resource for understanding skate wax. I took a pair of new skis in to the shop this morning because a friend instructed me to have them “hot boxed” which I understand to be an enclosure that promotes deep wax penetration. They charged me nearly the cost of the skis!?! Then, for my rock skis, it was like 25 or 30 bucks for waxing with red? I thought skate skis just got glide wax!?! - signed Naive Ignorant Nordic Newbie Jong
    Hot boxing- just wax ‘‘em after every use for the first while and you will be fine. …. Or put some warm condition wax on but don’t scrape. Throw them in your buddy’s dry sauna for a for a bit. Not yours ‘cause it will smell.

Just warm enough to keep the wax soft. Leave for a few hours.

Ya and wax your own skis Jong!

Kiddin- but seriously an iron and a couple three waxes and you are good to go. The more you wax the better your skis will skate.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Sorry for all the dumb beginner questions but the people at play it again sports were pretty much useless. I was looking for a classic ski and came across these which were interesting. Couldn't find any boots of course. They seem to be SNS which is not ideal but are 210cm which according to google is the length I need for my height (6'3'') . They seem in good shape other than the bumper on one of them is kind of sloppy/fucked.

Will these work or should I return them and find something nnn or a better ski? I am not sure if I can find a new bumper.

Rossignol caribou ar 210 with solomon sns profil equip. $70

Name:  IMG_0578.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  100.7 KB

I'm certainly no expert but it's my understanding nordic ski length should be based on your weight to engage the fish scales/skin when standing on the ski. Those will probably be just fine until you get more experience at what you want to do, classic, skate or nordic touring.

The main issue will be boots, even Salomon is moving away from SNS now so the selection is limited. If you can find some boots that work then those will be fine for casual touring.

Those will be fine, just pull off those sns and put some Rottafella NNN-BCs on there so you can have some boot choices. When you get ready for your next pair, you'll be set for boots & bindings.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Those will be fine, just pull off those sns and put some Rottafella NNN-BCs on there so you can have some boot choices. When you get ready for your next pair, you'll be set for boots & bindings.
    They seem really light. Length checked out for my height and weight. Is it easy to switch bindings? Was $70 too much?

I just switched over a pair that were SNS Profil to NNN. Believe it or not, on the pair I mounted I was able to mostly use the same holes. The only trick is you need to buy the binding plate and the bindings. All of it together was maybe $75 to $80. But, I found it locally, might be able to find a better deal on the tronz.

What lowspark said. I would recommend NNN-BC vs NNN at your size, especially if you are venturing off the groomed.
    Montani Semper Liberi

What lowspark said. I would recommend NNN-BC vs NNN at your size, especially if you are venturing off the groomed.
    I haven’t ever actually xc skied before. I should probably find some shitty used sns boots on eBay first.

Good luck.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Anyone tried Rossignol’s Compact Touring skis? Just scored a pair of the Evo R Skins. I think I’ll be okay in the XL 196’s although I do sit right at the minimum weight.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    ....I do sit right at the minimum weight....
    your gear will add some weight .
    unless you plan on skiing in lycra ....
    YMMV

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson