Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    ^^
    That looks tasty, but you guys need snow.

3 hours of lift served followed by 2 hours of nordic. While gummy’d. Awesome day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1613866283.454771.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	363993

Name:	Image1613866304.056696.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	363994

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

oh yeah!

how many miles do you guys usually do in a couple of hours of classic? internet says 7-10k/hr is a recreational speed but that seems a little fast to me.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

10km/hr for classic is a nice sweat if the wax and trackset are paired right.

ok, i gotta work on getting good. i go out to have a good time but to me that means seeing as much as possible too.

i guess in the long run i just want to an old dude that still gets after it.

Name:	IMG_3751.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	364137

Skate skiing is fun and certainly helps with balance on the alpine planks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFCB4D62-5EA6-491A-A028-1A4DED9AA6E0.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	364.9 KB 
ID:	364139  

going nordic = going ghay?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    3 hours of lift served followed by 2 hours of nordic.
    Woah. Can I touch you?

Name:	IMG_4608.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	364146
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Woah. Can I touch you?

Name:	IMG_4608.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	364146
    Wow, that's rare to not see the snowshoe tracks right in the middle of the groomed track.

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	365033

nice urban ski with a sunset and full moon.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post

Niiice. I hope she doesn’t peace out on us too fast.
    27° 18°

Hours mean nothing in nordic. It’s all about the Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post

Cool! I used to work in one of the buildings in that background
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

that’s cool! it’s a great lunch spot for the motivated downtown power athlete. i’d love to work down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Going ghey (nordic) is a good way to stay alive when the avy danger is high, or when the touring conditions just plain suck. That's what I like about it.
    Also good to stay away from the ski areas when conditions there suck.

Getting out in the snow, far from the madding crowd, be it track, hills, or simply forest ... sounds pretty good right now.

Is that ^^^ the answer to the thread's query? I'll leave it to the eye of the beholder, but regardless there are some very good skiers in that vid, and they make the downhill on those skinny's look easy. That requires skills, and they take time to develop. But even if you're snow-challenged you can mimic a tele turn pretty well on rollerblades: Advance the outside "ski", sink down on the trailing "ski" on its front wheel, complete the turn, then rise and switch leads.

Find a quiet stretch of road with a slope you're comfortable with, slalom through the lane markers, skate back up, repeat. Good workout.
    Last edited by fomofo; 02-28-2021 at 01:34 PM.

fomofo - this is the nordic thread. those guys are on relatively heavy boots and metal edged skis.

This guy from APU is nordic skiing.

I coached at Stratton Mountain School when Andy was an athlete there. He was pretty good on the skinny skis. I still skate on my Jibskates.

Moar

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    fomofo - this is the nordic thread. those guys are on relatively heavy boots and metal edged skis.
    I guess my definition of Nordic is a little looser than yours, but regardless, all those skiers in the clips above have skills that would make Liam Neeson green with envy.

Good stuff.

So today daughter is in jackrabbits for an hour this afternoon. My wife works the night shift, so she goes early up to the tracks. Reports back that the 5cm that fell last night hasn't yet been groomed. So I throw a bit of liquid wax onto the gromet's classic skis and pass the brush over them a few times. I also gave mom and my skate skis a hot wax last night, predicting the new snow and today's conditions. Must have done something right as we glided smooth through the trails. I'm fairly certain my base prep efforts keeps me out of the Tammy Wynette thread during much of the winter.

Most everyone else we ran into were a bit frustrated with the fresh snow - not that the kids cared too much. Only about half the parents actually go for a ski while the young ones have their session. One of the dads that does take the opportunity for a sprint during the lessons comes over to me at the end of the hour and asks that most simple of questions - how do we wax for XC given the sticky conditions? I asked when was the last time he waxed his skis, answer was when he bought them at the start of winter! I told him at that point any wax would be better than the dry bases he was torturing himself on. Tried to give a 2min explanation of waxing for classic and skate, hot and liquid wax, and brushing for texture. His eyes glazed by the time I got to snow temp and age/structure and how this changes the wax you use.

Only a couple more jackrabbit sessions for this year, might bring the genny and the wax kit up to the trailhead and do a little clinic. It really takes the enjoyment out of the experience when that snow grabs the skis and turns them into boat anchors, especially for the newbies. Maybe also give away tealight paraffin pucks to keep in the pocket for fishscale touchups when new snow turns evil.

In the year 1206 Norway is raged by civil war. The King's illegitimate infant son, Håkon Håkonsson, which half the kingdom wants killed off, is guarded in secrecy by two men. A story which changed the course of the country's history.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4738360
    https://www.kanopy.com/product/last-king
    https://www.amazon.com/Last-King-Eng.../dp/B01H4LM8OS

So true BCmtnHound, and having crappy bases promotes crappy technique. I run into folks that think it's a waste of time to wax often because....well you scrape it all off so why bother or they don't have the time. I have tried to explain as you did with either the glazed-eye or a defensive response. I don't bother anymore. Btw, do you do a base prep wax as well? I do when going between different temperature waxes or when the snow is older, dirtier or popular 'biler road juants. The reason I ask is that prep wax helps well with glide and protects your bases from sticks and pinecones having their way with your bases.

^^^^I forgot to add that I use the Toko DLC black wax for the prep. It's also pretty cheap and easy

I'm sure there is a youtoobe of DIY brain surgery, certainly ski waxing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yup, 1,000s of them. The Midwest seems to be the geographical hotspot in the US. Have no experience with brain surgery so I've never vetted world Utube shitaqua.

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Yup, 1,000s of them. The Midwest seems to be the geographical hotspot in the US. Have no experience with brain surgery so I've never vetted world Utube shitaqua.
    well its also the bible belt so very possibly many failed DIY brain surgeries ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know