Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Ghey b00tseks
    Also RIP Gripen :'(
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The coolest place I ever went on xc was Bryce Canyon National Park. Nobody there! Hoodoos look surreal with snow. Can't ski down into canyon, apparently the cliffs are prone to mud slides in winter, but you have a National Park all to your self. I went there on a passing lark and ended up staying a couple of days. Red Rock and Snow is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    ^ herd

i recently spperated sum rbs skkng w sum bears at nigght, grlz may have ben thier, no beer was hurt.

you have not lived until you have broken a rib off the spine! exquisite!

(bag on nordic/be on the ground panting and giving up/not ghey)
    I feel your pain. I never knew I could fear a sneeze.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    The coolest place I ever went on xc was Bryce Canyon National Park. Nobody there! Hoodoos look surreal with snow. Can't ski down into canyon, apparently the cliffs are prone to mud slides in winter, but you have a National Park all to your self. I went there on a passing lark and ended up staying a couple of days. Red Rock and Snow is stunning.
    2nd... was there in the winter solo once. Incredible experience.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Stuck in the Midwest for the season, taking care of my 93 y/o Mom. Ate some gummy’s and went Nordic skiing. Had a blast. Glass half full. Mom having kidney surgery tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611785316.321294.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	360046

Name:	Image1611785338.617158.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	360047

https://www.bluehillstrail.com
    near Bruce WI

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Stuck in the Midwest for the season, taking care of my 93 y/o Mom. Ate some gummy’s and went Nordic skiing. Had a blast. Glass half full. Mom having kidney surgery tomorrow, fingers crossed.

https://www.bluehillstrail.com
    near Bruce WI

Will cross ours too!

Was out last night, skating under a nearly full moon. Enjoyed fresh corduroy and -8C temps. Had a cow moose share the trail for a moment, and had an great grey owl buzz me. About 12km and 250m elevation.

Wishing you and your mother the best tomorrow Harry!

Best wishes for your Mom, Harry.

Gummies+Nordic= nirvana.

Hoping for a clear night for the upcoming full moon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

That looks tasty!!

Way to get after it.

Name:  27657304_1690013921090341_6592105378459925971.jpeg
Views: 2384
Size:  58.6 KB
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I’ve made fun of nordic skiing over the years for sure but do enjoy my time on the misery sticks. Looks like the nordic nerds thread was deleted??

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Was out last night, skating under a nearly full moon. Enjoyed fresh corduroy and -8C temps. Had a cow moose share the trail for a moment, and had an great grey owl buzz me. About 12km and 250m elevation.

Wishing you and your mother the best tomorrow Harry!
    I have a fear about coming down one of the hills at speed, at night with a fading headlamp, and running into a moose. I know they’re out there...

no

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Gummies+Nordic= nirvana.
    Truth. I’ve been stressed over this situation. Getting in several hours of aerobic work and letting my mind drift free was just what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    Looks like the nordic nerds thread was deleted?
    Yeah, I could not find that thread so I bumped this one.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Nordic snowboarding anyone?

Rockin the triple entendres

Skoocher
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    I have a fear about coming down one of the hills at speed, at night with a fading headlamp, and running into a moose. I know they’re out there...
    While running into the swamp donkey on a steep corner is possible, my experience is hitting that little chink of ice or soft spot in the corduroy sending me flying through the moonlight into the rhubarb is a far more likely occurrence. The cow last night did not sink into the snowpack at all - at the least there could have been the possibility of ducking right under her belly.

I picked up some pearl izumi tights for skate skiing and biking in cold weather recently. While I doubt they've made me faster, I definitely look faster and much cooler in my tights! If they came in red, I'd probably be as fast as Jessie Diggins.

Good luck to your mom, Harry

Best to your mom, Harry.

I miss nordic skiing, wish I lived somewhere it was readily available close by. I have to drive too far (if I'm gonna drive that far I may as well ride a lift) and the only place to regularly ski anything groomed are expensive touring centers.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Best to your mom, Harry.

I miss nordic skiing, wish I lived somewhere it was readily available close by. I have to drive too far (if I'm gonna drive that far I may as well ride a lift) and the only place to regularly ski anything groomed are expensive touring centers.
    my thoughts exactly, eldora charges way too much for their grooming frequency/quality and everywhere else is too far. I do enjoy it when we get enough snow for them to groom in town, but that hasn't really happened this year yet...

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    my thoughts exactly, eldora charges way too much for their grooming frequency/quality and everywhere else is too far. I do enjoy it when we get enough snow for them to groom in town, but that hasn't really happened this year yet...
    yep. CU South is fun skiing when there's enough snow.

I've always been envious of places like Anchorage, which (supposedly, I've not skied them) has an extensive in town network of lighted trails. If i could go for a 45 minute or an hour spin on the long skinnies as a regular thing, my life and fitness would be much better.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Our skis hills are still closed due to the lockdown but the nordic trails are open. Finally got enough snow for them to open, been a very snow free year here. I'm usually cross country skiing solo. I love when the sun is streaming through the trees, maybe (hopefully) it's snowing, it's so quiet and peaceful. And with any good descents it goes from quiet bliss to real excitement. Love it.

Thing is, after a few years of getting out maybe 8 times a winter, I absolutely suck going down hill. I have zero confidence, and if the trail going down has curves that I can't see around I generally chicken out and walk.

For alpine skiing, I've been on stiff-as-fuck Moment M1's for over a decade. I'm a decent alpine skier, nothing really scares except unexpected ice. I can handle steep stuff with confidence.

I wonder if my stiff downhill skis have sort of taught me some bad habits that are carrying over. I just can't adapt to my xc skis.

My skis are a touch short for my height and definitely not a match for my (heavy) weight so that could be part of it. My plan was to get better appropriately sized skis this year but I've had zero luck finding something that isn't out of my price range.

In the mean time, does anyone have any advice for someone who is sketchy AF going down hills? I ski the same places every season, and at first I'm walking down most hills, and after a few sessions I get marginally better, but nowhere near where I want to be. My confidence always resets itself to zero every fall.

Best wishes for your Mom's successful and speedy recover from renal surgery. UPJ surgery or something else?

If you're that close to Cable and Hayward, check out the CAMBA area trails. I've only ridden them on a bike, but they sure do look like fun in the winter too.

Also, IF you head a little east, stop in Merrill and get a beer or 'tree at the old WPA DNR building at Sawmill brewing. It's the town I kind of grew up in.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Thing is, after a few years of getting out maybe 8 times a winter, I absolutely suck going down hill.
    I just can't adapt to my xc skis.
    My skis are a touch short for my height and definitely not a match for my (heavy) weight so that could be part of it. My plan was to get better appropriately sized skis this year but I've had zero luck finding something that isn't out of my price range.
    Everything changed when I went to a real shop and was sized appropriately with the right skis. Just like alpine, XC technology changes. For example, Mrs. Plug is now on the 1 model below top of the line Salomon skate boots, and they are as stiff as her old Scarpa T3s tele boots, (maybe stiffer), and weigh a lot less than her old skate boots. Just like alpine, the front of your skis needs to stay planted and activated in the turn, and if you out weigh them, you loose the tips.
    Just to help in the meantime, watch how WC skate skiers turn downhill. The turn radius of the skis is way to large to carve, so they skate w/ the outside leg and step w/ the inside.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    Agree...I've always thought Eldora could attract tons more people (esp based on their location) and in the end make more money if it wasn't so freaking expensive for their nordic passes, but that place specializes in moronic management so....