Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Nohow just did an impressive 48+ mile nordic crossing of Yellowstone on a classic set up.......there's lots of potential in Utah and surrounding areas for some pretty huge nordic days through the mountains.

I want to do Monte Cristo to Curtis Flat to Ant Flat loop (60 miles) in a day this winter, if I manage to get out enough to get the needed endurance.

There's also Soapstone to Strawberry to Soldier Summit (60 miles-14,000ft climbing).
    Mirror Lake Hway (30miles 5,500ft climbing)
    Monte Cristo to Bear Lake (60 approx miles)
    Provo Canyon to Park City (billions of vert)
    Scofield to Joe's Reservoir has been on my mind...- 50 miles....
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Crust skiing is super fun, but fickle to find perfect conditions.

Check out this guys site.

It isn't so much that it is ghey, but the SnowRoadies have a way of bringing 'Fruit of the Loom' factor into it if'n you know what I mean.

Yeah, crust cruising fukkin rocks! When I lived in Flag it was easy to find good zones due to the climate.... I ski a lot of the groomed snowmobile trails and dig! I never see the SnowRoadie snobs on the 'biler groomed trails. It is almost like groomed BC skiing...ok, that is ghey! There are 100's of miles of snowmobile trails and it is basically akin to long mtb rides with about 2-5x the workout! I look forward to it as much as regular skiing. There is no workout trip like it, or at least what I have tried.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Scofield to Joe's Reservoir has been on my mind...- 50 miles....
    Lots of potential.

Check out Grey's River Valley south of Jackson. Cabins along the way.

Forgot to mention Nebo Scenic Loop too.

Lots of potential.

Check out Grey's River Valley south of Jackson. Cabins along the way.

Forgot to mention Nebo Scenic Loop too.
    Hey!

Are any of the Wasatch crust cruises you mention good in the spring? I am passing through in March and what you describe sounds like neat-o funness, or at least a portion of one...that is hella vert on the SiSSyStix!!
    Our CC up here is primarily a spring thing, so I am assuming it might be good then?

Note that I'm no talking about a groomed skate ski track rather a foot of untracked pow on a lake that has consolidated to maybe 8" enough to hold a skate skier, when its just right you can skate ski for many kms with no tracks or borders ... very cool !

http://crust.outlookalaska.com/Skiing2012/

more or less like this ^^ I supose but lakes are flat as piss on a plate

ah yeah well Lake Windermere is machine groomed, the usual 2 x classic tracks & groomed for skate in the middle. Weekends the lake gets busier with fishing / ATVs / sleds / random red necking.
    Its still a cool thing to have in town. No-one goes out at night so with MTB lights the place is yours, also new years morning no-one else was out save a couple kids skating near the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    I've been banished to Nordic skis until March and I've been enjoying it far more then I thought I would.
    Protect the dome!

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Hey!

Are any of the Wasatch crust cruises you mention good in the spring? I am passing through in March and what you describe sounds like neat-o funness, or at least a portion of one...that is hella vert on the SiSSyStix!!
    Our CC up here is primarily a spring thing, so I am assuming it might be good then?
    Wasatch isn't that great for crust. Uinta's are ok, but we just have small windows for that, not to mention not a lot of suitable terrain. The Uinta's are the place, in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    A friend introduced me to skate skiing. Required a little lube at first, but I found it pleasantly invigorating. Turned out to be a seriously good workout AND I can wear tights and still fit in. Bonus. Am I ghay now?
    No but you have nodick
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Protect the dome!
    I know, I've been thinking about that. I got quite the scolding the other day when I skied up the biggest hill I could find and came down in a tuck. I would die in a helmet XCing.... just need to not be dumb I guess.

On a related note, I have two awesome 500 lumens MTB lights, one a Leyzne and one a Serfas.... do they make attachment for a head mount or something?
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Crust skiing is super fun, but fickle to find perfect conditions.

Check out this guys site.

This looks goooooood.

yes, 3-pins can be mounted on XC skis- as long as the hole pattern in the 3-pins will still fit on the surface width of the XC ski. XC skis are much easier to remount than downhill.
    it's been too long since i've been XC skiing- we have decent trails behind our house, but it's been a while since anyone's gone down them on a snowmachine. i get frustrated classic skiing through chunks or deep snow. and our trails are just a little too narrow for skating. would love to skijor with the dog more often, but skate skiing is much easier for skijoring than classic. sigh.. i need to motivate!

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    On a related note, I have two awesome 500 lumens MTB lights, one a Leyzne and one a Serfas.... do they make attachment for a head mount or something?
    not sure.... I have Aye-ups w' head lamp straps, extension lead keeps the battery in my pocket & warm. Most of the guys I ride with have Niteriders & they have head lamp straps also. Surely you can find / figure something out (?).

It's all skiing. We've just gotten a little carried away with the specialization of the equipment.

I loved the question about mounting three pins on XC gear. That's where it started before NNN, SNS, etc.

Watch some of the stuff Scandanavians can do on skinny skis. It's really amazing to watch someone in terrain park on XC skis.
    I never let my schooling interfere with my education.

I did classic a lot when I lived in the midwest a long time ago--wood skis, pine tar on the bottoms, wool clothes--the whole deal. More recently I've tried skating--hell, there's no low gear. In classic you can shuffle, stride, kick--whatever speed you're in shape for. In skate it's pretty much all out. Definitely a work out.

Went again yesterday ... now purchasing skis, boots, poles. Hook, line, sinker. Awesome.
    More importantly, have you told your family? I know they may not all approve, but you shouldn't shut them out of your life. They may surprise you.
    Sent from my Timex Sinclair using TGR Forums

Get out of my head man!!

Trying to conceal the purchase, but considering getting the kids into it if I can ever get them out of the dance studio (their mother's interest). Then again, mom wants a new coat, so maybe we can call it good, good.

Wasatch isn't that great for crust. Uinta's are ok, but we just have small windows for that, not to mention not a lot of suitable terrain. The Uinta's are the place, in the spring.
    Coo. We can get an early crust up in the high meadows when a HP system parks itself over us accompanied by an inversion. It was looking that was going to happen but luckily it might not. I'd rather have the fresh! But even when it may appear to be bad(HP for days with no new), there is actually fun to be had doing somehing different. A lot of the 'biler groomed roads cruise by big open meadows. Is the shadow of the Wasatch PC or? Do you do much Nordic skiing in teh PC zone?

Bumping this thread because I just got back from the first skate of the season and as usual, it kicked my ever loving ass. Damn that sport is hard.

Got out on the Birkie for training today, have skied every day this week, legs feel like rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

here in ct where theres hardly ever enough snow for an AT setup some rossi bc 70s with nnn bc bindings have become my favorite skis. Great for low angle tele turns. I certainly dont look pretty doing it but nordic skiing is at least radder than snowshoeing and a great way to move around the bc quick

My beater fisher crowns see the most action of all my sticks. Now that there's a proper winter pack @ 420m, walking the dog, little one learning the skis or in the chariot, or just out to take in some air all from the front door. But today was sled virgin 40cm pow to skin track base, a couple hours of skinning then back down through the chute and sled out. Oh, and finish shovelling the drive - lol. No xc tonight.

Kedar is comfortable with his sexuality.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

^ herd

i recently spperated sum rbs skkng w sum bears at nigght, grlz may have ben thier, no beer was hurt.

you have not lived until you have broken a rib off the spine! exquisite!

(bag on nordic/be on the ground panting and giving up/not ghey)