Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Steeps are shit your pants fun on 200cm skinny skis with no edges.
    i can't ski for crap on skinny skis and soft boots...some people can kill it....if you are droppin waterfalls and boofing off double cliff drops with em, id say... not ghey.

Went again yesterday ... now purchasing skis, boots, poles. Hook, line, sinker. Awesome.

I've been getting out at night on my classic gear. I have a course across the street from me. A friend just gave me some skate gear and hope to learn how soon. I wouldn't take it over pow, but for an after work workout it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Went again yesterday ... now purchasing skis, boots, poles. Hook, line, sinker. Awesome.
    Just did the same, yesterday was first day out and today was second. Only two falls so far. Downhill is some scary shit, and I've learned when it gets wild, just fall sideways. Binders don't release and that can get ugly.

It is a great workout and definitely lets you take in the scenery in a different way. I gotta keep practicing those downhills. As Trackhead said early in this thread, it will improve your alpine/AT skiing, nordic quickly shows the flaws in your balance!
    Last edited by UrMomsKneePads; 12-31-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".

Want to get back into this as well now that we have the baby. I have a couple pairs of old Fischer classic skis with the ancient Solomon bindings on them and I have a pair of SNS Profil boots I picked up super cheap. I just somehow need to get divigirl boots and then get appropriate bindings mounted on the two pairs of skis. Can you re-mount these types of skis easily?
    Actually, can you mount a standard 3-pin on an XC ski?
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Not sure of the 3 pin compatibility, but you can remount the skis slightly forward, back, or maybe on the line if using binders with a different hole pattern. I'm sure an Olympic racer would notice the difference in performance, but most of our jong asses would not.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".

Just got a set-up for the wife and I. Have a track at the nearby golf course which makes it accessible. Definitely need to work on my technique, but it isn't that hard per se. Definitely need to focus going downhill and have to figure out that whole skate technique.

if it weren't for xc skiing I'd probably weight 350 pounds and do nothing but play video games. Or offed myself by now.

Joining the XC skiing team is the best thing that ever happened to me as a person.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Just got a set-up for the wife and I. Have a track at the nearby golf course which makes it accessible. Definitely need to work on my technique, but it isn't that hard per se. Definitely need to focus going downhill and have to figure out that whole skate technique.
    Scary downhills aside, I used to think XC wasn't very hard... until I went out with someone who was actually good. HOly shite its actually very technical if you want to be good.
    Evening workouts, night skiing with the MTB lights is super fun.

Alpine > Nordic > a fucking treadmill.

You're working out in the snow...Not ghay at all. Bonus, your alpine boards will seem super fat the next time you strap them on.

had a killer sesh at Grafton Ponds in VT the other day, skate skiing and alpine skiing have the same feeling, square hips and whatnot.
    i think mastering the V2 was the hardest thing i've ever done on skis.
    i love it!
    Last edited by buttahflake; 12-31-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

XC = Therese Johaug, and she alone can make Cross Country not Ghey.

I just signed up for another Alley Loop in CB!
    "Hurry up and finish your wine so we can go get us some milkshakes"

If you think the downhills are spicy on skate gear, try classic race gear. Aint no ankle cuff for support during those step turns.

I took up classic and skate last year. The exercise is great and definitely makes skiing locked heel much easier. My alpine technique improved dramatically with the addition of nordic skiing. I think it adds to being a more complete skier. Even started looking at spring skinning a bit differently... why use skins when I can skate? And skating the spring crust makes for most of the running terrain being covered with snow.

rugged touring ftw. waxless, metal edge, nnnbc. 4wd for the feet. go anywhere at all times. tele or parallel turns. learn balance. adventure skiing. can't wait for morning

rog

XC would seem to make you strong cuz at the local 24 hr challenge last spring the tele & at skiers with an xc background were very well represented and were definately the equal of AT only skiers

theonly skier to do 30,000ft by fair means was an ex cross country ski racer/coach

I've been banished to Nordic skis until March and I've been enjoying it far more then I thought I would.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Going ghey (nordic) is a good way to stay alive when the avy danger is high, or when the touring conditions just plain suck. That's what I like about it.

And, as others have said, spending a bunch of time on 44mm wide skis with fruit boots certainly improves your downhill skiing.

And these days, it seems ski touring folks wear more lycra than nordic folks. WTF? Who's ghey?

I'm looking to buy my first set of skate skis. I picked up a classic set up,for cheap, the other day to use on the golf course at lunch. Beats getting fat.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first set of skate skis. I picked up a classic set up,for cheap, the other day to use on the golf course at lunch. Beats getting fat.
    Nohow just did an impressive 48+ mile nordic crossing of Yellowstone on a classic set up.......there's lots of potential in Utah and surrounding areas for some pretty huge nordic days through the mountains.

I want to do Monte Cristo to Curtis Flat to Ant Flat loop (60 miles) in a day this winter, if I manage to get out enough to get the needed endurance.

There's also Soapstone to Strawberry to Soldier Summit (60 miles-14,000ft climbing).
    Mirror Lake Hway (30miles 5,500ft climbing)
    Monte Cristo to Bear Lake (60 approx miles)
    Provo Canyon to Park City (billions of vert)

from yesterday at Grafton Ponds in VT.
    fresh grind on my old weapons, went with the 'fir tree' pattern, new robot at the shop does a great job on skate skis.
    top shack, long haul up, fast as hell down.
    crab in my shoe mouth

If you are looking for a 'BC' skate skiing experience, find FS roads that snowmachiners use. If they don't have an actual groomer (many local sled clubs groom), the sleds themselves can make a fine surface for skating.

skate skiing on lakes in certain conditions where the snow has settled and hardened enough to hold a skate ski is pretty cool

Lake Windermere was groomed a couple days ago - not sure how long it is this year, ~11km maybe? At some point they also clear / groom a big ice skating loop. Pretty cool to have just down the street!

Crust skiing is super fun, but fickle to find perfect conditions.

Check out this guys site.