Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Avalanche at Bridger Bowl????

I was in the Bozeman ER, picking up some gear that had wound up there. E/R nurse was called about a slide O/B at Bridger.

A bit later one of my guys who is an EMT-P for the local service texted me that a slide was being reported near Saddle Peak, any info out there?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Just got word of the same. Heard saddle went about an hour+ ago. Then just heard a friend on S&R got called out...

Hope everyone is alright... ++++++vibes++++++

Saddle Peak. Sounds big.....2nd hand from patrol friend is 8' crown and VERY wide.

third hand from telemarc via his fiancee on facebook:
    Marc called and said there's a good chance that no one's buried. Apparently the guy that set it off was standing at the top, about to put his skis on, and he fell over and triggered it. Search crew hasn't had any beacon strikes, so it's just a waiting game 'til the end of the day to see if there's anyone unaccounted for.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

"Apparently the guy that set it off was standing at the top, about to put his skis on, and he fell over and triggered it."

Someone's god was watching over them this morning, damn.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

8' crown?! Wow.

Really hoping that this serves as one of those rare lessons that doesn't have consequences.

Good luck to S&R and BB patrol (I know they're out there searching for people too).

As I said before, really hope this didn't injure anyone and hopefully people will start to respect this giant just outside the boundary a bit more.

8 FOOT?! or 8inch?

Regardless, hope everyone is alright. Goes to show that some people are just absolute morons in the backcountry though!

That mountain has been very kind to its skiers and riders so far, its only a matter of time until something goes really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    My buddy drove up there and took a photo:

you can't link into your gmail acct. here's a couple a friend just sent me:

big fkn slide for sure!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

damnnnnnn.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Natural slides all over the east side of the Bridgers the last few days. Hope this wakes up some of the brain dead skiers up there!

Thanks for the pics fez.

sweet baby jesus! thanks much for the early pics fez! Hope no one got caught
    ~ThaddeusMT

[All your mountains are belong to us]
    http://www.oronaut.com

That looks BIG with a lot of bad consequences down low...

Hope everyone is safe. I'm not familiar with the area, is it just outside the boundary of BB?

those crowns definitely look more like 8 ft than 8 in...

It also builds on my trust of "skier compaction"

The area is just south of the BB boundary line. It is super easy to access from the top of the new slushmans lift. this is good and bad as any joker can take a 15-30 min walk and be on top of that area. The crown is significant as the top of the slope appears to have a lot of wind loading. That area is sketchy as hell to start something like that in, as there are very few options of how to get out

hope all are well - thanks for the photos fez!

Quote Originally Posted by COpow View Post
    That looks BIG with a lot of bad consequences down low...

Hope everyone is safe. I'm not familiar with the area, is it just outside the boundary of BB?
    you can see traverses entering the area from the right side of the pic

Anyone who is skiing saddle peak when there is deep slab instability is without a clue. Ie at any point this season. This is the most consequential slackcountry anywhere outside of Europe. This thing has probably erased 100 plus tracks. And notice how the thing zippered over the "safe" line down the ridge. Giving Bozeman locals this thing is like giving a child a handgun. Bozeman locals are as green as could be as they just got open gates two years ago. May there be no one in that thing and a lot of respect learned. The Bridgers are sketchy due to the slip fault that runs all the way through them thus creating that mid slop cliff band. As well there are big time ravine terrain traps, particularily on the west side. The beast has finally let out a roar!

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    you can't link into your gmail acct. here's a couple a friend just sent me:

big fkn slide for sure!
    Looks like there is still freshies on the lookers left of this frame. Sweet!

Who wants to bet it gets skied tomorrow?

Wow, that's a fucking hudge slide. Really hoping no one got caught, sure reinforces my decision to NOT ski Saddle despite all the bragging of deep untracked in the Grizzly.

3 inches of moisture fell in less than 24 hours only 2-3 days ago. On top of three layers, one being on the ground. Every possible red flag was flying. As well there were massive slides up and down the Bridgers on the same aspects. ranging from 2 to 6 feet. And skier compaction has no effect on a ground layer consisting of 8 inches of sugar. Poor decision making and lack of experience by anyone deciding to ski that under these circumstances. That was a coastal snowfall on top of a continental snowpack. duh

not getting the response you're hoping for jc? keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Anyone who is skiing saddle peak when there is deep slab instability is without a clue. Ie at any point this season. This is the most consequential slackcountry anywhere outside of Europe. This thing has probably erased 100 plus tracks. And notice how the thing zippered over the "safe" line down the ridge. Giving Bozeman locals this thing is like giving a child a handgun. Bozeman locals are as green as could be as they just got open gates two years ago. May there be no one in that thing and a lot of respect learned. The Bridgers are sketchy due to the slip fault that runs all the way through them thus creating that mid slop cliff band. As well there are big time ravine terrain traps, particularily on the west side. The beast has finally let out a roar!
    Who rides the West side?

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    3 inches of moisture fell in less than 24 hours only 2-3 days ago. On top of three layers, one being on the ground. Every possible red flag was flying. As well there were massive slides up and down the Bridgers on the same aspects. ranging from 2 to 6 feet. And skier compaction has no effect on a ground layer consisting of 8 inches of sugar. Poor decision making and lack of experience by anyone deciding to ski that under these circumstances. That was a coastal snowfall on top of a continental snowpack. duh
    We call that an upside sponge cake where I come from. Hoping no one was in there.

That is def sketch when it crosses the ridge line like that. There would have been NO WAY out of that big bad toad.

Think it would have gone if someone entered on the high ridge line? My guess is yes but just curious as to others thoughts.

I was in Valdez once and we triggered a slide about that size the second trip down the slope that slid. Last run of the day actually on the mellowest terrain of the trip. The guide had it fracture on him on the ridgeline and it propagated across both sides of ridgeline about 72" deep and around 250' across. I was in the PZ down low and watched it all. Scary stuff.