Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary

TR: bc and dead slope in harriman state park

who: self, NICCACRATES
    what: some unskied lines and dead resort runs
    when: 2.12.10
    where: harriman state park/silver mine resort
    why: cause the metro area caught dump and work could get fucked.
    how: machine power to the lot, human power the rest of the way.

this day wasnt the intended day. it was a backup plan if this southeast face wasnt holding enough snow.

which it wasnt. yeh it looks soft but theres a ton of scree under those leaves in the tall grass.
    so we stopped to check out harriman while waiting for a report from ringwood.
    we dont really care about base so theres plenty of snow here.

and off we go...

the low angle stuff was so much fun the stoke factor got amped a bit higher than it should have. i skied up an erratic and decided to go for the double stager.

dry docked hard on the second part and got faceplanted into the ground. sorry, no scorpion pic.

so i guess base matters a little.

ringwood was pretty much the same as what we were already on so we saw no point in leaving. instead, we hopped over to the defunct silvermine lake area. thanks to GRAVITYLOVER for reminding me about this spot.

finding pow where the sledders cant go.

bonus: while scouting out a potential spot in the palisades we found some turkeys had beat us to it.

i ended the day with quite a large core shot which is part of the fun and makes these ntm coombas officially mine. not the steepest or the deepest but the fun factor was undeniable. getting to ski local lines is like smoking homegrown, drinking homebrew or banging your neighbor; even when its shit it still makes you happy. and happy is the biggest factor in making a day.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

A for effort.

Your low tide ambition makes my legs nervous
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Awesome. You slayed my childhood backyard. Go find the schunemunk ski jump next dump that hits the southrern part of ny.

My brother and I were reminiscing about bushwacking, kicker building, and core shots in the hudson valley the other day.

Anothe r great one would be a conquest of mt. Beacon.

One more, storm king or roundtop.

Damn!!!!

I recognize that harriman line. well done.

I'll bet the trees on bear mountain (where they're re-routing the AT to) are awesome right now. I was checking it out a little last Tuesday before the "blizzard.."

You guys are killing it! I wish I had a more open mind when I lived there, so many possibilities besides Huntah and Bellarye...

What SPC said about old beacon ski hill on Beacon Mtn. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl You can see the ski trails from I84. I rocked my old hardtail MTB down those a time or two. Never toured there but hole-E-shit it would be epic, NW facing with a couple of feet of fresh!!!! Then there's Fishkill Ridge, Shawanagunk Ridge (further down from the climbing routes), Tymor Mountain, Clove Mountain, Stissing Mountain in Pine Plains, Alander in Mt Washinton SP, the Southern Berks... Yeah, midweek pass at huntah + young chilleren made me lazy and killed my imagination...

Thanks Nihiles and friends... Keep getten after it and bringing the STOKE!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Awesome. I learned to ski at 2 years old at Silvermine. Thanks for the memories!!

cool. I road bike by there a lot in warm weather, and always said I should do what you did. If you do a car shuttle, it may be easier to hike in from the top of the road along the ridge and ski down, left turn out of the parking lot facing the road. I'm pretty sure, at that point, you're on the Appalachian trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    cool. I road bike by there a lot in warm weather, and always said I should do what you did. If you do a car shuttle, it may be easier to hike in from the top of the road along the ridge and ski down, left turn out of the parking lot facing the road. I'm pretty sure, at that point, you're on the Appalachian trail.
    one of us (probably me) is wrong about recognizing that line then.. the line I see is nowhere near the AT, but close to Suffern.

Wow. Cool tr, I thought it was Harriman state park south of west yellowstone mt. There is also a defunct ski area a few miles away. Small world!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Harriman State Park in Idaho? I drove through that once.. and live about 400 yards from Harriman State Park in New York. Got a chuckle out of that one. Traveled 2000 miles to go to Harriman..

S.P.C. pm me. i want to join you and your brother! lets go build something together.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Thanks Nihiles and friends... Keep getten after it and bringing the STOKE!
    yup. i hiked breakneck for the first time this fall and def saw the possibilities of the hills in the area. could you imagine an epic dump that makes the breakneck trail skiable?!?

Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    Awesome. I learned to ski at 2 years old at Silvermine. Thanks for the memories!!
    youre welcome

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I recognize that harriman line. well done.

I'll bet the trees on bear mountain (where they're re-routing the AT to) are awesome right now. I was checking it out a little last Tuesday before the "blizzard.."
    STEVE: i know you know the line pictured without snow but not so sure you know the harriman line. we pulled into a parking area near sebago, skinned (and significantly widened) an xc trail then bushwacked when we found some vertical to get our lines. we followed the topos not trail markers but i dont recall the AT being nearby. tried to look on google maps but oddly enough it doesnt show the AT? i would have expected goog to include that.

BENNY: are you talking about car shuttling silver mine resort? why? we skinned it initially, skied 3/4 down and booted 90% back up. the sledders have packed a path for easy booting.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Harriman State Park in Idaho? I drove through that once.. and live about 400 yards from Harriman State Park in New York. Got a chuckle out of that one. Traveled 2000 miles to go to Harriman..
    Yep, that's the one. And i was puzzled cuz my recollection is that it is flat as a pancake. The old ski area is just north of that, where the road splits to go to West or west to Ennis. Used to be a dirtbag bar at the base of it, which looked closed last time i went by...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nice double stager to shit buffet! I am impressed at your get-after-it-ness, and not suprised in the least... You coming to the house this weekend? I heard all those freshies up there are talkin' smack!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

You're welcome. After yesterdays 7+" and a bit more that looks to be headed this way early next week Silvermine ought to be in pretty good shape. I think I know where I want to go on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by nihiles View Post
    STEVE: i know you know the line pictured without snow but not so sure you know the harriman line. we pulled into a parking area near sebago, skinned (and significantly widened) an xc trail then bushwacked when we found some vertical to get our lines. we followed the topos not trail markers but i dont recall the AT being nearby. tried to look on google maps but oddly enough it doesnt show the AT? i would have expected goog to include that.
    yeah, don't expect google maps to have hiking trails; not even the AT. I'm sure you already know this, but the best trail maps for this area are sold by the NY/NJ trail conference - you can buy them at their office in Mahwah. Having said that, if you parked at Sebago, you might have gone near the AT depending on the direction you went. I don't think Sebago beach, however, is near the AT. I'd have to check my maps to be sure..

BTW I do a lot of trail running in Harriman in the summertime, if you or anyone else is interested.

-steve

^^ Running = bad
    Riding = GOOD

nihiles, its cool you hit that spot. the first pic you show there is the cut for the natural gas line to nyc- it cuts all the way through harriman and has a number of skiable parts. when i hiked up silvermine 2 summers ago i saw wild turkeys as well. next time bring the weber for skinning, field dressing and grilling........

silvermine and the gas line cut are at polar opposites of the park. given the direction of the gas line from the little bit ive hiked i dont see how it goes to nyc but im too busy trying to clear tomorrows work schedule to go play on google maps.

STEVE: yeh i have the trail conference maps. not that i expected google to have the harriman trails but why not the AT and PCT?! hiker highways!

i think there are multiple gas lines that cut through harriman fwiw.
    Last edited by lemmycaution; 02-17-2010 at 09:48 PM.

schunnemunk, hudson highlands (breakneck) and also-storm king state park are good ideas. schunnemunk is over 1200' vert but access is tough. never heard of the ski jump tho.

i told nihiles where the jump is, but my directions to get him there were pretty bad. we would always stare at it from the short bus window on the way home from school and finally skied it sometime in highschool. definitely a trip!

i think they blasted the in run out of the mountain which created a chute. the lip of the jump is a stonewall. it's really overgrown but a pretty fun ski regardless. rock skis would be good for sure. from there i would keep going up to the top to the monoliths and jump off stuff. lots of cliffs to flats on the train tracks too. then ski down to dolly's house, knock on the door and hope they don't come out with a shotgun. tell them i sent you and they will treat you good and maybe you will get to eat to some of the best antipasta of your life.

i am going to shut up about dumb shit in NY now.

Good tr Jay! Like the double stager. A for effort for sure!!
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

yea, i'd only checked out the p'kill so far (i was there after all),but yea, serious effort and way to find the fresh+the gnar in an unexpected place.
    double-stage sickness indeed.
    dude has the guts

yeah, don't expect google maps to have hiking trails; not even the AT. I'm sure you already know this, but the best trail maps for this area are sold by the NY/NJ trail conference - you can buy them at their office in Mahwah. Having said that, if you parked at Sebago, you might have gone near the AT depending on the direction you went. I don't think Sebago beach, however, is near the AT. I'd have to check my maps to be sure..

BTW I do a lot of trail running in Harriman in the summertime, if you or anyone else is interested.

-steve
    The AT doesn't come very close to Sebago. I crosses the NY State Thruway at Arden Rd. and runs North along Lake Tiorati and crosses 7 Lakes Dr around Silver Mine.
    These are my old stomping grounds! I used to live in Southfields and there's a pedestrian bridge across the T-way into Harriman. Road and mountain biked and ran all over the area from '82 to around '02. Used to burn in a nice XC track when there was a decent snowfall until the a-hole snowshoers f'd it up! Snowshoeing in 6"! Do they?
    As far as I know, mountain biking is still illegal in Harriman but that never stopped me! Saw some wacky shit in that park while mountain biking near the parking lot at Rt. 17 and Arden Rd. I think they used to call that spot pickle park. Jesus! Get a room already!!!
    Link to a good map of the entire AT...
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...active_Map.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Dude, you seriously go after it like no other. Your stoke=HUDGE
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.