Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    If AWD isn't the key here take a good look at the Volvo C30 R Design. Under the skin (same platform MS3, C30 and Euro Focus) it is the same car as the MS3 but the ride is FAR superior and the torque out of the T5 motor is inspiring. There are so many suspension and brake upgrades available and there is almost no torque steer unlike the MS3. I am in love with mine so will be biased towards it. With the DTSC it does just fine in the snow with the right rubber and the insurance is SO much lower than either the WRX or MS3. If you want to eliminate torque steer and have it be really really good in the snow add a Quaife LSD and it is unstoppable. They are also easily available under $30k new.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 02-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.

KLJLNSGFDPUIOAPIOJHAQPUIREHGQPUNEGFQIPUENDQUISNEDQ UIWNDOFIQUEIOWGFPQIUEDFPQUISHDPFQIUSHEWGFDQIPUSHED AUINQREQUIGFPUIENGQPSIJDNGF;AJHFVIHERALNOIHEWLJFDS LGKGSKJND;KSDNFMZFD;KLAJHRDKJNAGFD;AKMNEWT;QKJ VHS;QJHWREPIQJHUIEWOJHDS;BYROKLF

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ^^^...but you can mod the hell out of both of them, then hang around parking lots in Orange County and talk about how cool and modded out your car is, then drive of and not know shit about how to actually drive a performance car.
    He's right. The only clear answer is an audi TT. You will fit in much better when cruising west hollywood. You can tell the bois that you are a real racecar driver.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Alright all jokes aside about modding, I have a serious question about it. I went in today to drive an outback sport 5 door and a WRX 5 door. I like the WRX more, but the insurance is 150 dollars more a month. They are the exact same cars, except the WRX is turbocharged. Could I not just turbocharge the engine on the outback and save a bunch of money?
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Try and find an 09 outback XT which has the turbo engine.

There's more to it than just adding a turbo. You need an intercooler, intake, different exhaust and so on and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    Try and find an 09 outback XT which has the turbo engine.
    I'll look into that, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    There's more to it than just adding a turbo. You need an intercooler, intake, different exhaust and so on and so on.
    But if done correctly, it will work?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    But if done correctly, it will work?
    Yes. Need to add what he said as well as injectors and fuel control. It's not worth it.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Well, I initially save 5,000 dollars by purchasing the outback instead of the WRX. Then, I save thousands of dollars over the years from insurance. How's it not worth it? Could one of you all give me an estimate to how much it would cost to buy all the parts and get it installed? Also, if someone could list all the parts needed, I would really appreciate it

Look around on the NASIOC forums for detailed info like that and to see if it's even possible. There are a bunch of things I didn't mention like the ecu is probably different and is the new software even available or applicable to that motor/tranny and is there a place to mount the intercooler.

edit - I think you'll find the info you need here [ame="http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50"]Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain - NASIOC[/ame]
    Last edited by gravitylover; 02-20-2010 at 04:49 PM.

you could do a whole engine swap, but just get an '09XT as said and get aftermarket cat-back exhaust & a "chip" and you'll have STi power in a sleeper package.

you'll spend more than 5K on adding a turbo...

I'm looking for the 09 outback XT, but can't find any for sale. Are they really rare?

I'm looking for the 09 outback XT, but can't find any for sale. Are they really rare?
    Most dealerships had 1 or 2 (max) when I bought mine a year ago, so it'll be damn near impossible now.

If you buy a normally aspirated car and install your own turbo (a monumental undertaking) then you've just thrown most of your warranty out the window, so why buy a new car (with a warranty) in the first place?

Asking for a parts list and a total cost estimate for this, on a skiing website, makes you sound like you're already in over your head or you're trolling.
    vapor lock - bitch.

Alright, so what is the best way (if there is any way) to have a car that is fast and fun to drive without a really high insurance rate? Sorry for all the Noobish questions, but I (obviously) don't know anythhing about this topic

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    you'll spend more than 5K on adding a turbo...
    No, you will not. Plus, you could swap a slightly used STI engine in that thing pronto for not a whole lot more, and that's boatloads awesomer. The main concern however, and I'm not sure if it's been addressed, is that major engine modifications will void that part of the warrantee.

If you can't find the Outback XT, there was a turbo'd Forester version too. Same motor?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Alright, so what is the best way (if there is any way) to have a car that is fast and fun to drive without a really high insurance rate? Sorry for all the Noobish questions, but I (obviously) don't know anythhing about this topic
    Like I said, Volvo C30 R Design. If you really want to save on the ins. don't get the R and just bump the suspension after you get it. 50,000 miles all scheduled services included in purchase too. Fast? Yeah!!! I make the ricer boys and GTI's feel stupid all the time.

You will also have one of the most rare mass produced cars on the continent. Since they started selling them here late '07 there are less than 10,000 between the States, Canada and Mexico. It also came out tops in the crash test ratings for '09 for small hatchbacks.

Stop being 18 years old or stop having a shitty insurance policy.

All other things being equal, if you get a slower car that costs less to insure, and then want to make it faster, you're going to spend a bunch of money to do that.

Speed costs money, one way or another.

gravitylover: All the 2010 C30 models are turbo, as I understand it, so I don't know why they'd be "cheaper" to insure, especially if he's sweating the difference between the WRX and the Outback turbo.
    vapor lock - bitch.

What about a Volvo cross country or Audi Allroad? Or just an Audi quattro wagon? Higher maintenance costs though.

Stability and Traction control are a big factor. Try getting a quote on a Mini with and without and you'll see that the difference can be close to 20%/yr. I also have two extra airbags that don't exist in other cars, in the front seats side bolsters, that also bring it down a bit. Bottom line is the ins. on my 08 C30 is nearly 15% less than on my 06 Outback. Same policy and the same two drivers listed and my car is in and out of NYC 5 days a week which actually added almost $200/6months.

Volvo safety FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk View Post

gravitylover: All the 2010 C30 models are turbo, as I understand it, so I don't know why they'd be "cheaper" to insure, especially if he's sweating the difference between the WRX and the Outback turbo.

Thread should have ended when you compare fun factor of 4wd to Fwd. Subie more fun hands down.

Alright I'm taking a look at all the cars that you all suggested, and I appreciate the help. I think my most likely choice right now is the outback sport. Say I bought that, what are the best ways to make it more powerful/fun to drive under lets say, 2000 dollars?

Well, I initially save 5,000 dollars by purchasing the outback instead of the WRX. Then, I save thousands of dollars over the years from insurance. How's it not worth it? Could one of you all give me an estimate to how much it would cost to buy all the parts and get it installed? Also, if someone could list all the parts needed, I would really appreciate it
    Listen to yourself here - is the extra zip in your car worth that many thousands of dollars and additional hassles to you? Think about all the other ways you could spend that money or get the speed fix at a lower cost.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Spec B