Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why aren't there any Canadian ski companies?

I was trying to think of any skis made in Canada and I came up empty.

That doesn't make sense....

capital (whistler)

some Bro skis where made in french canada for a while.

boomtown skis (nelson)

libtech.

http://exoticskis.com/exoticskis/

Ski Types:

Capital Custom Skis
    Canada

http://www.capitalskis.com/

[RESEARCH...] [Add a review...] [Mfr comments...] [Send Comment...] [MFR. LIST...]
    Manufacturer
    Comments:

Ski Types: Backcountry, Big Mountain, Custom Construction, Custom Graphics, Powder

Probably defunct in 2009. Website no longer exists....no word about them anywhere...Rest in peace......

Created by Greg Funk in Pemberton, Canada since around 2005, (they like 'em WIDE) 110mm-162mm underfoot. Custom work and graphics if you want. Plenty of great softsnow models with different geometries to choose from. $1000-$1250 CAD. Maple/Ash or Maple/Aspen cores. Loyal following of users. For 2008 they came out with innovations such as:

"The most progressive ski yet, brought to you by the fine folks at Capital. Featuring sidecut under foot, reverse cut in the front end and in the rear, a low camber throughout and long drawn out powder tips and tails. Built to be playful and loose feeling but still able to lay down a carve on a groomer and stomp a cliff at speed. Low taper in the main body makes for a balanced ski well suited to trickery and switching it up, but the taper in the tail end results in a ski that can still charge powder and big mountain terrain. - Designed by Greg Funk and Dave Treadway."

Carpathian Ski Company
    Canada and USA

http://www.interestingproductions.biz

[RESEARCH...] [Add a review...] [Mfr comments...] [Send Comment...] [MFR. LIST...]
    Manufacturer
    Comments:

"Welcome to Carpathian Skis Company's little corner of the internet! The site needs some work, I am on it! We are a new ski manufacturer with base camps in Smithers, BC and Girdwood, Alaska. This is our second year in operation and things are going great. Last season was a real blast as I build and tested these skis in dynamic conditions. I basically sponsored myself as I travelled to my hometown in Alaska and competing in three world championship events. At the same time I sponsored my friends and we filmed a ski movie called 'North to Alaska.' HERE Right now I am plugging away in the shop filling orders and tweaking designs. Looking for the perfect big mountain rocket sled! Last year I was loving the Big Dippers with the zero camber/zero sidecut combo. Unbelievable in the pow and surprisingly bomber and nimble on the hard stuff considering the dimensions. 142tip-129tail. The tail just sets right into the snow and with no sidecut to pull you around, these things track like nothing else! I am working on a pair of 210cm long skis with the same dimensional concept, maybe just call them the Rocket Sleds?"

Ski Types:

A tiny, passionate garage operation by the folks behind "Interesting Productions" with some 210cm fat skis ("Boss Ravens") and other big-mountain designs. Film maker too.

$500 for men's skis, $400 for lady's skis.

3446 4th Ave.
    Smithers, B.C.,
    VOJ 2N3
    250-877-2073
    Colier Composites
    Canada

Crown Skis
    Canada

http://www.crownskis.com

Manufacturer
    Comments:

"Crown Skis Ltd. is a start-up ski manufacturing company based in Vancouver, B.C. Crown Skis is dedicated to triple bottom line business practices and manufacturing a fully sustainable line of high performance freeride skis for people who identify themselves as skiers. To the people at Crown Skis, fully sustainable means a pair of skis that is made with a small carbon footprint; non-toxic and non-petrochemical based components and is recovered and recycled by the manufacturer. Crown Skis also aims to establish a unique brand and community committed to a shared passion for skiing and transforming the ski industry towards a path of sustainability. Crown Skis engages and empowers the ecologically enlightened skier to minimize the environmental impact of indulging their passion for skiing. "

"For the 2008/2009 winter, we have put together an innovative program: the Crown Skis Beta 1.0 Program. We built 30 pairs of a single high-performance freeride model, which we then sold to a crew of Beta Testers, at our material cost. In addition to allowing us to conduct a full pre-production run, the program will provide us with invaluable performance feedback from our testers to help us fine-tune our designs. Ultimately, the Beta Program brings us one step closer to our goal of production. The Crown Beta ski is 184cm, 138-102-117. We gave it ample sidecut for groomer carving fun, a pin-tail shape combined with a large shovel and mini-rocker for floatability and variable snow performance. It's the only ski we need from Cypress to Whistler, Baker and the BC Interior! "

Ski Types: Freeride

Brand-new company in 2009 beta testing their skis for the 2010. Sustainable, low-carbon-footprint, "non-toxic", resource-recovery and recycling "eco-friendly" manufacturing process. Their first test ski is 138-102-117 @ 184cm. Watch their site for more developments.

For updates, watch their blog at: (small intro video available to see the beta skis)

http://crownskis.com/index.php?optio...mojo&Itemid=27

Decosse Custom Skis
    Canada

http://www.decossecustoms.com/

Manufacturer
    Comments:

Ski Types: All Mountain, Big Mountain, Custom Construction, Freestyle

A new company for 2008. Sheldon DeCosse makes kiteboards, skis and snowboards. Sheldon makes a big mountain model, park & pipe and and an all-mountain model. Each can be ordered in 3 different flexes, or custom-made to your specs. Passionate, limited-production shop. Great pictures of speed-flying freestyle!

DeCosse Customs
    624 McDonald Road, Cranbrook,
    B.C. V1C-6V9 CANADA
    250-426-5787 voice

G3 (Genuine Guide Gear) Skis
    Canada

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/

Manufacturer
    Comments:

Ski Types: All Mountain, Alpinist-Climber, Backcountry, Big Mountain, Freeride, Powder, Telemark

Serious following of devoted users of G3 skis. Some asymmetric designs. Lightweight models, female-specific models. Seriously good website for big-mountain backcountry adventurers (skins, probes, gear...etc.) Check it out. Definitely "mountain guide" mindset. Designs rumored to be related works of Nanny Tua (friend of Paul Parker - engineer at Movement skis).
    Kootenay Powdersticks
    Canada

http://www.boomtownsports.com/powderstick.html

Manufacturer
    Comments:

"The Kootenay Powdersticks – A dream ski designed by the owner of Boomtown Sports Inc. and long time powder pig, Dale Arsenault. The totally unique sticks are not only sweet in the powder but carve up the groomers too. Please read the testimonials of fanatic skiers who love them. They come in two sizes, 163cm. and 173cm. They are fat with a maple wood core, same wood used in skateboards, light and strong. Their lightness will spoil you. They have twin tips for doing tricks and keep the tails from crossing in the bumps. A stiffer tip handles well at high speed and carves through crud. A softer, narrower tail stays in the bumps better and releases you from your turn sooner allowing you to get into the next turn quicker making them great in the trees. Their progressive sidecut means you can stay centered and you don't have to lean back in the powder. A forgiving ski thats easy to turn but not overly shaped so you can still go straight. You'll fall in love. The tip is 120mm, waist 92mm, and tail 104mm. Their weight and even flex make them also a great touring or telemark ski. They come with a one year warranty. Order your dream ski today."

Ski Types: All Mountain, Park-Pipe, Powder

Boomtown sports is now making Kootenay PeakSticks and ParkSticks skis too, in addition to its flagship PowderSticks. $400 CDN. Maple wood cores. Possibly called "K3" long ago, but the name was abandoned due to conflicts with a "larger" ski company with a similar name.

http://www.priorskis.com/

Manufacturer
    Comments: How long has Prior been making skis?
    Prior built the first prototypes in 2002 and continued to put them through testing here in Whistler and on the demo tour of the northwest throughout the 0304 season before the Prior 'Original' went on the market in the fall of 2004.
    Can you tell me more about your factory in Whistler?
    The Prior factory is specifically designed to handle small runs of high quality snowboards and skis. Our equipment is some of the most modern available. We produce a limited number of snowboards and skis to ensure that the integrity of our product is maintained.
    When you visit Whistler, please contact us to reserve a spot on one of our free factory tours.
    Are all your boards made at your factory in Whistler, Canada?
    Yes - Prior is the only ski and snowboard factory in Whistler.
    Where do you ship skis to?
    Just about anywhere. We have more than 10 years experience shipping to Prior customers from all over the world.
    What is your warranty policy?
    New Prior snowboards and skis come with a one-year warranty against defects in quality and workmanship. For more information please go to warranty .
    Does Prior make any skis for kids?
    Not at the present time, but it is something we are considering for the future.
    Do you rent skis?
    Yes. We have a full set of demo skis at the Prior factory/store in Whistler.
    Prior also does demo tours around Western Canada and the NW States. Check out our demo schedule online to see when we'll be at a resort in your area.
    Where should I position the bindings on the ski when having them mounted?
    The centre of the mounting position is marked on the left sidewall of each ski to help guide you See the 'specs' section for each ski model on the website.
    If you wish to adjust the position of the binding slightly forward or back depending on your skiing style, you should discuss this with the ski technician who is mounting your bindings.
    Are graphite bases faster?
    Industry information says yes. Graphite reduces friction at moderate temperatures, thus increasing speed. In cold conditions and warm conditions this effect is negated.
    To ensure speed it is likely more important keep your base in good condition and wax regularly.
    What kinds of custom options are available?
    All customers can choose between various topsheet and base graphics as seen on webpage for each model.
    Two fiberglass options are also available - for more details click on construction.
    Do you have any used, factory seconds, or 'last years' skis for sale at discount prices?
    Yes. Please go to used & demo skis for up-to-date product listings.

Ski Types: All Mountain, Big Mountain, Freeride, Freestyle, Powder
    Handcrafted in Whistler, British Columbia. Originally a snowboard maker, now turning out skis. Midfat freeride ski, powder ski and an all-mountain freeride ski designed for females. Great topsheet/bottom graphic selection designer on the website.
    Raccoon Skis
    Canada

http://www.raccoonskis.com

Manufacturer
    Comments:

"A pair of RACCOON skis, it's the fusion of the audacity of passionate Quebecers and their relation with that nature around them, producing exceptional skis born out of the will to do things differently: to create your own skis and to ski with them. For many it was unrealistic, but for RACCOON it was the ultimate challenge. With years of hard work, we did succeed in designing a ski living up to our expectations. In the winter of 2009, the first usable RACCOON ski made its appearance at the 24 hours of Tremblant. A dream was becoming true... For every pair of skis sold, Tree Canada will plant a tree." - Website February 2010

Ski Types: All Mountain, Freeride, Freestyle

New ski company for 2010 (on-line January 22, 2010) based in Quebec, Canada making skis from Quebec wood. Partnered with Carl Grenier (cofounder of Zoom Media...Canada's largest lifestyle media company), they bring the first Quebec ski to market with testing during 2010.

Prior skis dhuh!
    Just fucking point it and shut up

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    libtech.
    Made "near Canada" in Sequim, WA.

i skied the crown skis couple days ago. there was a demo tent in whitewater. the "all mountain" ski they had was nice (something like 97mm in the waist), i liked them a lot, damp, lively, very fun to ski, not too stiff but not a soft ski either. maybe the best ski i´ve skied in this "category" (personal preference of course, and it had been a long time since i had been on a ski like that).

i didn´t like their fatter ski much at all, okay the snow wasn´t good but it acted weirdly.

Prior arent just skis made in Canada, they are very good skis made in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by gregorymaz View Post
    Prior arent just skis made in Canada, they are very good skis made in Canada
    I can vouch for that. I just demoed the Prior Overlord and Husume and was very impressed. The overlord was chosen for Editor's choice in both Backcountry Magazine and Outside Magazine over the Lhasa and Lotus.

Karhu is made in Quebec I believe.

holy fuck, whistler shout-out to PRIOR ..

and G3 in Vancouver makessplendid backcountry skis & gear.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

G3 skis based in Canada, not made here, also Boomtown skis, based in Nelson, but made in China.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I was going to mention some shitass company called Bro was making skis in the Saguenay but then the owner dude couldn't get laid or avoid bomb threats or something and ran away to build skis in a trailer park. Apparently he preferred nosy blue hairs to hot french chickies, or so the story goes.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Karhu is made in Quebec I believe.
    Didn't K2 move the production to China? And now they have killed the brand (apart from the XCD fishscale skis).

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Didn't K2 move the production to China? And now they have killed the brand (apart from the XCD fishscale skis).
    I was under that impression too. I thought Karhu was basically copying skis from others (ie: LINE and k2 now) and now is basically getting dropped and is moved by K2 to over the Pacific production like so many other models

Carpathian has a long thread on here with a lot of stoke titled 'Can I ski with you?"

Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Made "near Canada" in Sequim, WA.
    yes, the skiing hotbed of sequim.

I think its a fair question, esp. if defined as made in Canada. Given our place in the world pantheon of skiing, both competitive and 'venue' wise, its crazy that we don't have more Canadian ski manufacturers. Some good boutique companies have been mentioned (capital, prior, the new guys from Crown) but it's limited. I mean, fucking Slovakia has Elan, doesn't it? WTF?

My guess it is another example of the Canadian tradition of a resource extraction economy. Cut trees down, send them away to companies in other countries, buy back the shit they make out of the wood. Crazy.

And, no, you just cannot count those joke skis from Boomtown! They had one run printed 'Boomtwon' by the Chinese factory, which must be collectors items by now. Fantastic! Unless things have recently changed, they are just cranked out of some random chinese snowboard factory and the entire design piece from this end has consisted of choosing dimensions and asking for flames on the topsheet. A buddy of mine asked the proprietor years ago "what's the construction" and he said "wood core." And my pal said, ya, but what? Sandwich? Torsion box? Cap" And the dude said, "ummmm, wood core." And my other buddy said, "Maybe they're parquet?"

Karhu hasn't made skis in Canada in a while, and they weren't "copying" Line or K2. The Prophet and the Jak Team were the same skis. Came out at the same time.

Kootenay Powdersticks immediately came to mind. mtnlion already mentioned them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Powdersticks are the aforementioned and justifiably maligned BoomtWon skis. If that is the height of Canadian ski manufacturing ("Hey, dude at random chinese snowboard factory, can you make me some skis about yea wide with, like, about this much sidecut? Oh, and put some cool flames on the top. And please spell the name of my used-sporting-goods store wrong while your at it.") then we are more fucked than I realized.

FYI, G3 was made in Vancouver until the 09 season. Now made in China, designed in Vancouver. Kind of like arc-teryx, though some AT stuff is still made in Vancouver (the AC2 packs and more complicated jackets like the Sidewinder).
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I probably have this wrong, but I thought I remember hearing or reading that g3 skis and movement skis were nearly the same (slightly different woods used) and were made in the same place and it was somewhere exotic and unlikely and obscure like tunisia or something.

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    FYI, G3 was made in Vancouver until the 09 season. Now made in China, designed in Vancouver. Kind of like arc-teryx, though some AT stuff is still made in Vancouver (the AC2 packs and more complicated jackets like the Sidewinder).
    G3 Had their skis made in Movement's Tunisian factory until last year when they moved to China.
    Last edited by Wetdog; 02-15-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    G3 did not make skis in Canada. They were made in Tunisia now China.

The closest thing to a full scale production run of skis made in Canada is the old 4frnt's made by Option snowboards in Vancouver. I can't recall off the top of my head what season it was, the first year for the Eric's ski I think.