Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 300 workout

300 workout

Has anyone tried it? I've been working for a really long time on 5x5 compound lift sets to get bigger, and want to switch up my workout some. Would this be a good alternative? Better than p90x?
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur

Isn't it basically X-fit? From what I've experienced w/ x-fit... its one of the best programs I've tried, of many, for tone, leaning out, and improving entire body muscle density.

Are you sure you mean the 300 workout?

The 300 "workout" that I'm aware of was intended to be a one off fitness test, not a daily workout routine.

The guys who created the 300 workout do post their daily routine though, so that's a good place to start.
    http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    Are you sure you mean the 300 workout?

The 300 "workout" that I'm aware of was intended to be a one off fitness test, not a daily workout routine.

The guys who created the 300 workout do post their daily routine though, so that's a good place to start.
    http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php
    One point of note though, their daily workout will run you 4-6 hours easy. So if you don't have that kind of time, crossfit workout of the day might be a better alternative. Trust me, if I had that kind of time, I'd be all over the gym jones workout, those guys are monsters.

And yes, the "300" is a timed test, which will wreck you.
    "No avy training but I've watched K2 so many times I think I know what to look for." -JoeStrummer

The 300 workout can be worked in with the rest of the Crossfit WoD. And it is a beast of a workout. Include it with the others into a cycle of workouts
    Decisions Decisions

25 pull-ups
    50 deadlifts at 135 pounds
    50 push-ups
    50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
    50 "floor wipers"
    50 "clean and press" at 36 pounds
    25 more pull-ups -- for a total of 300 reps

That's the 300 workout. I just tried it. It is unbelievably hard... You do each exercise to the full rep without stopping, with no breaks until the end

I did it, and it works. I did it 4x a week, until my sholders and back started to bother me. Great workout. I would say do it 2x a week with some cardio.

If you can do 25 pull ups you're fit.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    I did it 4x a week, until my sholders and back started to bother me.
    Stuff like is absolutely not designed to be done repeatedly in a short time frame. That's just crazy.

The people that did the movie did it for 8-10 weeks 3 times a week

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    That sounds horrendously boring.

How's that sound any more boring than a regular workout routine?

I suppose it's not compared to most people's gym routines, but I repeat workouts every couple months at most.

That workout sounds badass, and a great way to get it done pronto.

Question, what are floor sweepers? Im sure from my days of swimming at NCAA'S I know what these are under a different term.

And how do you clean and press 36 pounds? Am I being a retard right now but cleans and stuff usually roll in 5 pound denominations right?

Either way Im wallowing away here with an achilles tear and losing all fitness pretty much across the board. Tris are going to be in shape from crutchin around, but otherwise Im losing everything. I want a workout thats going to give results fast. I dont need to look like the dude in 300 per say, but itd be nice not to look like a really tall high school kid in my mid 20's.

Once I get back on my feet of course.
    Live Free or Die

The 36 pound clean and press is with a standard "1 pood" kettlebell.

Floorwiper: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQLtfH9clx4"]YouTube- 300 floor wiper exercise[/ame]

Ok so I definately wasnt doing floor wipers in swim training. 50 in rapid sucession looks hard....
    Live Free or Die

They are all realllllyyy hard... The 25 pullups at the end are just about impossible though

Did you even READ Gym Jones' website at all before starting? They didn't do the 300 every week. In fact, only some of them even did it at all. It was supposed to be a test, and if they did it at all it was a rarity. Mark Twight stated so pretty clearly.

Here you go, some "knowledge" for you: http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php

Their whole entire point is to not repeat workouts, so way to kind of kill their name in that regard.
    "No avy training but I've watched K2 so many times I think I know what to look for." -JoeStrummer

My bad... Didn't read that, just read info off of random pages on google. Still, it hits all of your body, what is wrong with repeating it?

Id say once every 3 weeks is plenty as a workout. There are a ton of other Crossfit WoD (workout of the day) to mix in, 3 or 4x a week. Just throw the 300 in as another one of those. If I did 50 floor sweeps 4x a week Id jump off a bridge
    Decisions Decisions

Still, it hits all of your body, what is wrong with repeating it?
    The guiding principle of cross fit, gym jones, even p90x is essentially muscular confusion. When you repeat movement patterns, your muscles adapt and the movements become easier. Not to mention you psychologically adapt when you know what's coming (familiarity makes it less foreboding, in theory). Then the sequence is more randomized, muscle memory is minimized, muscle fiber recruitment is enhanced, and both physical and psychological stamina are improved.

OK, this all makes sense to make and I appreciate the advice. However, what if I can't quite do the workout yet, I am up for some serious soreness and work, and for one month will keep doing this workout to get really cut/increase the exercises involved... then I switch over to a normal workout?

then I switch over to a normal workout?
    Once the philosophy of muscular confusion is adopted into your workouts, it becomes your new "normal" and other methods aren't as effective.
    Another approach is to think about supersetting (i.e. make a circuit out of of) compound exercises.

Another thing they seemed to stress is doing complete range of motion reps, and only counting those reps, but you can do whatever "extra" movements it takes to get that rep.

This workout was one of the things that inspired Tony Horton and crew to develop P90X. I have done the X and a couple of other workouts from the Beachbody crew. I can tell you that they do work.

- sam
    Courage + believe = life. Life is not about how many breaths you take. It's what you do with those breaths