man, that's pretty hard to read.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Wow. That keeps things in perspective.

No doubt P1.

Wow, tough read. I have to admit, I had not idea about the 2002 qualifying accident at all.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

recommended reading:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ski-Die-Bill-Johnson-Story/dp/1578602483"]Amazon.com: Ski to Die: The Bill Johnson Story (9781578602483): Jennifer Woodlief: Books[/ame]

recommended viewing:

Anyone remember the Bill Johnson Story made for TV movie?

Best made-for-tv-movie evah.

That recovery in the vid clip was miraculous. Really too bad that Bill couldn't have come back and it's a pity to see where he is now. Didn't know about his crash in 2002. Damn, the guy was a hero of mine in the early 80's.

great man, ski hero, sad story.

Ride the red sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    great man, ski hero, sad story.
    well..... 1 out of 3 ain't bad

Such a sad story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Remember that great recovery. Life certainly is dealt out differently to some of us.

This sort of thing happens to a lot of pro football players especially from 25 years ago when they didn't make the kind of money they do now. What he accomplished was huge back then. I think the author of the article spun it in a sad way. He seems happy and the fact that he loves to see others wearing his gold medal and the joy it brings them shows that he knows the secret to happiness despite his financial and physical shortcomings. As a society we have forgotten many great athletes and artists until their demise or near demise and that to me is the saddest thing. I think the community that he grew up in should have a Bill Johnson fund raiser day once a year to give something back to him.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Well put ^^^.

Guessing the town he grew up in is just trying to get by. If you hear of a fundraiser tho, i'd be in.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Had the pleasure and privilege to ski with Bill Johnson a couple of days before his crash at Big Mountain.

Humbling to see him ski the trees in Big Timber in one shot, clearing the two roads without skipping a beat, in his race suit and on GS skis in waist deep pow, the first time he'd ever been in there.

Take people as I find them and he was a great bloke.

I didn't find it sad, overall, because of this comment:
    Johnson remains eccentric, stubborn and competitive. He's funny, sharp-witted, and undeniably his own man.

I generally dislike most angles John 'the cueball' Canzano writes from in his opinion articles. This was a good one, though. Being from Oregon, I hear snippets about Bill Johnson every now and then. Also, being a person who has had to forgo a lot of activities this year in order to recover from numerous injuries while also battling a debilitating arthritic condition, I can somewhat relate to Bill's plight. Somewhat. I think the saddest thing is how the ski organizations he was involved with in the past have essentially turned their back on him. I wish Mr. Johnson nothing but the best in his future.

I actually envy Bill a bit too. I would love to have a trailer in Zigzag!

Sounds kinda like the Jimmy Heuga story. Billy Kidd goes on to greatness, Heuga gets MS.

Daughter with Billy Kidd and Jimmy Heuga about 6 years ago.

In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Super sad, surprised they left out the fact that his first child drowned in a hot tub in crested butte.