Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Just to voice my experience of this ad campaign:
    I've never used an ad blocker. I'm using one now. I'll probably keep using it now that I've gone to the trouble to install it.

Edit to be clear: I'm using an ad blocker because of the Oakley ads. These are the only ads that have ever annoyed me enough to do something about it, over the course of many years of wasting too much of my time on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    and I dont like my ski clothes made from poor Vietnamese children.
    i hope they just use the good parts. and why can't they be made of rich Vietnamese?

See Powdermag.com forums circa October 2003.

Not trying to draw a lot of parallels, just pointing out that if you piss off enough of the core membership - they'll leave, and they tend to take the worthwhile pieces of the community with them.

holeeeeeee shit those ads are the most annoying things i've ever witnessed here. maybe if the x acxtually worked to stop the fucking things it wouldnt be so bad but every time i hit the x it starts back up again. sure they may pay u loot to run ads but those go waayyyyy beyond just being ads. they are intrusive, annoying and wont go the fuck away. i've nevr purchaseed any oakley shit cause its too expensive and now ive got another reason to never purchase them. and they def take away from the my experience here cause i have to leave this site just to get away from that stupid shit. wake the fuck up tgr and get some integrity. your excuse for running them tgr420 is pure fucking weak sauce.

I thought for sure i had some sort of adware and have been trying for two weeks to get rid of those ads.

I find it difficult to try and sensor TGR since they so willingly host so much ridiculous content for this community, but I will add my support for their removal. I also will continue my dislike for Oakley products, due largely to my disdain for their company image.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Ad blocker is great. But be advised that a lot of people probably browse from work. And a lot of companies do not allow user rights to install 3rd party software. So it's not really fair to tell people they should do that and shut up.
    I love a lot of the Oakley shit. But this ad campaign is fucking TERRIBLE. Oakley should be demanding their money back from whatever shit ad agency came up with this crap. And the dumb fuck at Oakley who approved it needs to be fired. I don't think that this ad campaign points to any demographic. Shows how out of touch Oakley is becoming with it's user base.
    I wonder what these high profile athletes think about having their likeness used so terribly? My next pair of goggles is going to be Smith. If for nothing else a replacement lens doesn't cost nearly as much as an entire goggle system.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    i hope they just use the good parts. and why can't they be made of rich Vietnamese?
    The rich Vietnamese "disappeared" after the atheist commies took over.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    See Powdermag.com forums circa October 2003.

Not trying to draw a lot of parallels, just pointing out that if you piss off enough of the core membership - they'll leave, and they tend to take the worthwhile pieces of the community with them.
    This is not at at that level. This is very annoying, but not a destructive betrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by TGR420 View Post
    I think the Oakley stuff is funny, but that is my opinion. Obviously some people don't like it.
    You appear to be in a distinctly small minority

But surely you admit that its NSFW audio presence makes your site one to be avoided while one systems where one may not run an adblocker which accounts for a lot of your site traffic and that and ad that encourages people to install adblockers lowers your click volume long term and hurts your revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

This thread is win. Personally I think the ads are quite effective. Effective at slimming Oakley's consumer base, anyway.

I mute my computer when on TGR as I refuse to click on the ad to shut it up. I have 3 pair of Oakley goggles yet their target demographic is 12 year olds with learning disabilities
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

if it's not safe for work, just don't get on tgr while you're at work.
    Live To Ski!

Listen dude. Mellow out. It's an internet ad. I moved it to ask TGR where it belongs. Call it censorship or whatever you want. We try and provide a cool place here. It costs money to run. We need to do things that enable us to run this. The main forum is for stoke. I move things around constantly in there to the place they belong. Seriously, this place is about shredding and stoke. I am sorry this ad makes you so angry, but it is what it is. Censorship would be me banning you and deleting the thread. We try and be pretty cool around here. Obviously you think I am an idiot, which is fine because I probably am. Hopefully this day becomes more positive than it started.
    Peace,
    tj
    No way, everyone knows you're cool as shit.

Here's the positive solution: Oakley does what's best for you and them and us and puts together a decent ad for you to run.

Bro, it's that easy. They're losing business, you're getting hassled....we're getting hassled (by the ads).

It's just a big pile of bullshit and all that needs to happen is to replace the ads.

This took me 5 minutes....
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/a...1&d=1265574224

This site is currently a fantastic deal for all of us. We currently get stoke of movie and magazine quality on a daily basis from most areas where good skiing is happening. Snowful mentioned feeling guilty about not having to pay for it. Unfortunately, a paid membership forum probably wouldn't work here, but might, who knows. There probably are some folk that would pay to be sponsors of there own stoke however. I would pay a yearly fee to be able to run my own campaigns in threads I start. I imagine companies like Salomon might do the same for their blogging athletes. Something like channels that exist seamlessly within the forums.
    Just a thought, because I would rather be a part of a solution than the squeaky wheel. And I do want TGR to succeed, as i am addicted moreso than most.

I really do not think they are NSFW, which I apologize if they are. They beep the ahole in that quote. I tend to think the definition of NSFW is not that, but I could be wrong.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    And it shows.

I tend to think the definition of NSFW is not that, but I could be wrong.
    T, your office isn't your standard work environment.

I have hated those ads from the start.
    However I love the smith ones and have even clicked on them a time or 2.
    OAKLEY needs a new marketing director!
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    I have hated those ads from the start.
    However I love the smith ones and have even clicked on them a time or 2.
    OAKLEY needs a new marketing director!
    heh, I clicked on the Mark Carter one. Now, I don't have any ads though. Adthwart plus Google = fast as fuck and no ads.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    The guys at TGR have been outstanding. But now things are changing, and not for the better.
    Wow, calm down a little. It's their site and nobody is forcing you to be here.
    Go get some sunshine and it'll all be good.

I hope they get replaced with a HUDGE Tanner Hall ad!

I really do not think they are NSFW, which I apologize if they are. They beep the ahole in that quote. I tend to think the definition of NSFW is not that, but I could be wrong.
    I was showing my 9-year old son the different pictures on "McConkeys" people had posted when the "Nipple Comment" came on. NSFW AND NSFK.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    ... and I dont like my ski clothes made from poor Vietnamese children.
    Silence of the Lambs II: Sewing in Saigon? (Edit - Powdork beat me to it.)

The ads are bad. Really bad. Everyone involved should want to make them go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sometimes I think you guys are some of the smartest people on the web, other times I wonder if you were shaken as babies.

I gotta agree: those ads are fucking stupid. They are so fucking annoying that they garnered a very rare spot on the I-hate-your-fucking-lame-advertising-so-bad-that-I-will-never-ever-buy-your-product list.

EDIT: Just to add that forum is awesome - I visit it waaay more than I should and it is a pretty fucking sad and ridiculous concept that users would have to install software on their machines in order to not be completely fucking annoyed by the obtrusive advertising that is on here.

Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

All this huffing and puffing over an ad on and internet message board? Where is the perspective? Powdork I can't stop laughing at how serious your initial post is.

Now that I have an ad blocker installed, I'll never have to look at Oakley's ads again.

Or any other company's ads, for that matter. Nice job, Oakley!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.