Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    It's the second time I've seen a thread moved. someone posted an nsfw pic in a coming to Kirkwood thread. He was then chastised for showing inappropriate content w/o proper nsfw tags. While Seth was blurting out something about his nipples.

Nice place to try to hide this thread TGR.... weaksauce.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

Meh........I dunno.....but I keep my work PC muted for this reason....meh

Quote Originally Posted by TGR420 View Post
    These ads are on almost every action sports site out there, not just TGR.

"Just because your friends are all jumping off a bridge..."

Listen dude. Mellow out. It's an internet ad. I moved it to ask TGR where it belongs. Call it censorship or whatever you want. We try and provide a cool place here. It costs money to run. We need to do things that enable us to run this. The main forum is for stoke. I move things around constantly in there to the place they belong. Seriously, this place is about shredding and stoke. I am sorry this ad makes you so angry, but it is what it is. Censorship would be me banning you and deleting the thread. We try and be pretty cool around here. Obviously you think I am an idiot, which is fine because I probably am. Hopefully this day becomes more positive than it started.
    Peace,
    tj
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

I think you guys at TGR have been outstanding hosts. I almost feel guilty for not having to pay for all this. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Listen dude. Mellow out. It's an internet ad. I moved it to ask TGR where it belongs. Call it censorship or whatever you want. We try and provide a cool place here. It costs money to run. We need to do things that enable us to run this. The main forum is for stoke. I move things around constantly in there to the place they belong. Seriously, this place is about shredding and stoke. I am sorry this ad makes you so angry, but it is what it is. Censorship would be me banning you and deleting the thread. We try and be pretty cool around here. Obviously you think I am an idiot, which is fine because I probably am. Hopefully this day becomes more positive than it started.
    Peace,
    tj
    to quote someone from these forums-

Don't be defined, be the definition.

i understand you are trying to make money. try and do it for the long term.
    how will you make money when viewers turn off ads??????
    how will you make money when there are no viewers??????
    and no, this censorship with the moving of threads is relatively new. if it belonged in ask tgr, i would have put it here. I am no longer providing stoke for your site in the ski/snowboard forum. I am also removing stoke from the same forum, so that is where this thread belongs.

The ads are killing the stoke.

I don't think you're an idiot. i think you think your hands are tied, when they are not.
    If you step up and give Oakley the finger, they would be powerless to do anything without getting a HUGE black eye. If your worried about how that will affect the business relationship with your (partner), well, given that they stuffed these ads down your throat, it wasn't much of a relationship to start with, now was it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowful View Post
    I think you guys at TGR have been outstanding hosts. I almost feel guilty for not having to pay for all this. Thanks.
    The guys at TGR have been outstanding. But now things are changing, and not for the better.

While I completely agree with the above, I FUCKING HATE THAT GOD DAMNED OAKLEY AD!!!!!!

I want TGR to make money, and lots of it.

BUT

I think Oakley should know how much we hate their advertising (which they probably think that any publicity is a good thing). That ad is sooooo fucking obnoxious that I am seriously boycotting their products. I work at an outdoor retailer that provides many different kinds of products to include Oakley and I will not hesitate to have my customers buy Smith products and avoid Oakley like the plague.

Thats all I can and intend to do.

advres Guest

I think this thread was TGR's opportunity to call up Oakley and say "hey, your shit is pissing off our customers AND your customers - look here!" even if TGR wasn't going to pull the ad.

Moving the thread, which IS pretty unprecedented for this situation, to an obscure subforum and saying "hey, we've ignored this for months, put up with it another week and hope they don't do it again" was not the response I was expecting from TGR.

I think TGR420 has misjudged the situation. Hiding this thread doesn't make TGR look better to Oakley. It makes TGR look like a tool of Oakley.

That said, I use an adblocker.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I use the "New Posts" button so I don't miss shit like this.

/signed

Buying a new pair of SMITH goggles this week.
    Dwell not upon thy weariness; thy strength shall be according to the measure of thy desire.

Get after Oakley if you don't like the ads. TGR and Oakley have a partnership that probably benefits them both. Why would people here want to jeopardize that by posting in this forum?

I don't think this thread looks very good, in more than one way.

you guys can have this thread over here in the ski section since you feel so strongly about it.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Sturgis Uncensored

Get after Oakley if you don't like the ads. TGR and Oakley have a partnership that probably benefits them both. Why would people here want to jeopardize that by posting in this forum?

I don't think this thread looks very good, in more than one way.
    Fair enough i suppose.

here is oakley's customer service addy: customercare@oakley.com

Anybody else notice the Stokeful Smith ad on the right? No sound but an awesome vid of Mcintosh hucking his meat followed by a nice clean pic of a Smith Variant and Some I/O Goggles. Now that is a sweet ad.

you guys can have this thread over here in the ski section since you feel so strongly about it.
    May I work for you?

Edit: Make this puppy a sticky?

Anything with unexpected volume is going to annoy people - particularly when you know a lot of your audience is checking from work. NSFW content in that audio - it's like asking a lot of people to not visit the site at all, or to cut back on a large percentage of their site visits. WTF?

It's baffling how anyone thought those ads would do anything positive for Oakley. Why would I expect, you know, quality or customer service or anything that I look for in the things I buy from a company that is promoting the fact that they have no common sense whatsoever?
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post
    Fair enough i suppose.

here is oakley's customer service addy: customercare@oakley.com

Anybody else notice the Stokeful Smith ad on the right? No sound but an awesome vid of Mcintosh hucking his meat followed by a nice clean pic of a Smith Variant and Some I/O Goggles. Now that is a sweet ad.
    yes there are a number of the smith ads. the mcintosh double is my favorite.

Smith Optics rule!!!

I will jump in since I can't go ski right now.

With Dozens of people who use the site multiple times a day unhappy, TGR could talk to there contact at Oakley and report that the banner add with the talking bullshit has got to change, please offer us another ad to put in that space.

I have my stereo plugged in to my computer at work with Pandora playing all day.
    I take a quick look at TGR to check pm's or snow report and that crap goes through the sound system. It's retarded.

I for one forward many links to friends that I think they might enjoy. Several have bitched about the Oakley ads. The demographic here is not all 16 year old boys. The advertisers are getting some valuable free input about how the campaign is working.

The core skier dudes at TGR hate it and want something else. Simple.

Shit, post the old ad of Glen Plake with the hair "thermo-nuclear protection.

If anybody doesn't feel like typing out an email, you can cut and paste a variation of this:

To Whom It May Concern,

This email is regarding the Oakley ads posted on the TetonGravity.com (aka TGR) forums. These ads feature professional skiers talking about various things and include sound.

They are annoying and obnoxious and reflect poorly on your company.

I have been an Oakley customer in the past, and am considering no longer buying your products because of these ads.

Thanks for your time and consideration of this situation. The ads in question are being discussed here: [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184513"]TGR Stoke Boycott - Fuck You Oakley - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

Regards,
    LightRanger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

who buys Oakleys anyways?

I dont like my sunglasses being overpriced with cheap hinges made of plastic that break when you put them in your pocket, and I dont like my ski clothes made from poor Vietnamese children.

the Ads suck, I'll keep rocking the Smiths
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    ...and I dont like my ski clothes made from poor Vietnamese children.

Holy Jesus.

it would take oakley all of 30 seconds to remove action script that causes the animation that includes the sound. it seems to me there was a slight change in the beginning of the campaign. originally, the sound would come on with no action whatsoever. unless i'm mistaken (happens alot) it then was changed to require a mouseover to activate the movie clip that includes the voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    "hey, we've ignored this for months, put up with it another week and hope they don't do it again" was not the response I was expecting from TGR.
    Actually, I was just letting powdork know when the ads end. It seems this would be useful information for him based on his desires and concerns with the campaign as expressed in the initial post. Of course this place is not meant to make people mad, angry, etc. The goal is stoke. I think the Oakley stuff is funny, but that is my opinion. Obviously some people don't like it.

Sturgis Uncensored