Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Big Mtn. charger ski?

Sparknotes: I want a ski that can charge and wants to go fast

Stats-
    Height: 6'00''
    Weight: 190 (Athletic build)
    Skis: 179 k2 Hippy Stinx w/ BD 02 Ridd Stiff Cartridge
    Resorts: Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Jackson(5-10 days)

Looking For-
    I am looking for a good Big Mtn Charger ski for myself to replace my worn out and old Hippy Stinx. I have looked across the entire specture from purly only big mtn skis to rockered powder skis. Basically I want a ski that will charge through anything but can still be skied on powder days. I want a longer ski but less than 192cm or so. I want something that can charge exposed crap but still ski well in trees. But above all I want a ski that truly has no speed limit. That is my problem with the Hippy Stinx, I can straight line from the top of North Rim to the line in 11 and feel as I have stayed at the same speed the entire time.

Just give me any ideas, I have done some research but would like to see what the maggot nation produces

motherships.

K2 Sidestash.

Quote Originally Posted by televback1 View Post
    Basically I want a ski that will charge through anything but can still be skied on powder days. I want a longer ski but less than 192cm or so. I want something that can charge exposed crap but still ski well in trees. But above all I want a ski that truly has no speed limit.
    You realize that a ski optimized for speed is gonna be stiff, long, and have moderate to low sidecut, some camber. A ski optimized for pow is gonna be longer, softer, have plenty of rocker, maybe reverse/reverse. A ski optimized for tight spaces is gonna be shorter, have a tail that's easy to break loose, and have moderate sidecut and camber. So nothing can do everything you want equally well. That said, a few skis I can think of if stability is at the top of your list:

DPS Lotus 138's flex 3. Prior Overlords. Lhasa Pows in 191. Moment Comi's.

BH Shoots may be the stiffest production skis ever, have tip rocker, slight camber, short contact lenght (good for trees, but fast and pretty dangerous) a bit to wide to be a good allrounder though. As mentioned above, no ski can do it all perfectly.

Might want to look for something around 110 in the waist, motherships come to mind from what I´ve read around here.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    You realize that a ski optimized for speed is gonna be stiff, long, and have moderate to low sidecut, some camber. A ski optimized for pow is gonna be longer, softer, have plenty of rocker, maybe reverse/reverse. A ski optimized for tight spaces is gonna be shorter, have a tail that's easy to break loose, and have moderate sidecut and camber. So nothing can do everything you want equally well. That said, a few skis I can think of if stability is at the top of your list:

DPS Lotus 138's flex 3. Prior Overlords. Lhasa Pows in 191. Moment Comi's.
    I understand and that is why I am asking around so I can have possible skis to demo in the near future.

Any more ideas? Mothership's look great and I will have to try them out.

but you dont ski any big mountains?

190 Volkl Explosiv.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

and the obvious answer is the 190 katana

best ski ever

Movement Goliath. 191 is the only length. 108 under foot, slightly elongated tip - not really rocker, but helps in crud and pow. The faster you charge, the better it skis.

Skis I have not skied but worth looking at: Dynastar Big Dump, BD Zealot, Atomic Atlas

Dynastar XXL 187 might also be worth a look

Good luck

Mantra. With Hammerheads.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Dyna XXL, Salomon El Dictator (next year), Rossi rc112, Praxis big mountain (yeah, yeah, praxis fanboy )

Second the RC112s, these truly have no speed limit. Basically fatter squads with rocker, they kill it!
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

187 Blizzard Titan Argos.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

my 197 katanas (2010 version) weigh in at 11.5 lbs and simply destroy crud, pow, variable snow conditions.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    BH Shoots may be the stiffest production skis ever, have tip rocker, slight camber, short contact lenght (good for trees, but fast and pretty dangerous) a bit to wide to be a good allrounder though. As mentioned above, no ski can do it all perfectly.

Might want to look for something around 110 in the waist, motherships come to mind from what I´ve read around here.
    I second the shoots
    "I reckon i'm one of the only people who could ski this line" says my drunk friend

194 XXL

man ski.

Moment Garbones. Unless you're too much of a pussy. Then get something else.
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

pm gear 192 brohemoths
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

ah the big dumps, I really want to try that ski out. Thanks for the input, look for a review on whatever ski I choose in the near future. FYI- I am putting Bishop's on these as well

Quote Originally Posted by SCSucks View Post
    Movement Goliath. 191 is the only length. 108 under foot, slightly elongated tip - not really rocker, but helps in crud and pow. The faster you charge, the better it skis.

Skis I have not skied but worth looking at: Dynastar Big Dump, BD Zealot, Atomic Atlas

Dynastar XXL 187 might also be worth a look

Good luck
    Second the Zealots

Last year's Katana, 190

Boo!
    yaga man!

Double Helix 190 or Katana 190. Can't go wrong with either for your needs. Double Helix might be a bit more versatile, but the Katana is probably better for longer arcing turns. Both are very stable, but the DH is prolly a little easier in the trees and sketchier lines when you have to make a few turns before sending it in narrow entrances.

RC 112s thirded, although I think asking for a charger that skis trees well is asking for a lot. There's going to have to be a compromise on either end at one point. The 188 RC 112s will to trees but ski like a ski with lots of metal - you need to be on them. I couldn't imagine doing tight trees with the 198s. Yikes.

Actually, Salomon Rockers could fit the bill. They're really burly with stiff, flat tails but have so much tip rocker that they ski trees like a dream. But in rougher snow and shallower conditions, their a bit unwieldly.

You could also look at designs like the 190 Bibby or 195 Super 7. These may be a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSucks View Post
    totally agree. these things slay all comers.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...