Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place for March skiing?

I am looking at a spring break trip 2nd week of march and am wondering what would be the best place?

thinking Jackson Hole, Heavenly or Steamboat or Telluride?

Any of the I-70 resorts or Northern Colorado, i.e. Steamboat. With only 100" this year winter has to begin sometime, March looks good.

Mammoth!

This Month
    Feb: 76" to date
    Feb, 24 - 30"
    Feb, 22 - 2"
    Feb, 21 - 14"
    Feb, 20 - 2"
    Feb, 10 - 6"
    Feb, 08 - 1"
    Feb, 07 - 1"
    Feb, 06 - 9"
    Feb, 05 - 14"

Last Month
    Jan: 127" to date
    Jan, 30 - 4"
    Jan, 26 - 7"
    Jan, 25 - 2"
    Jan, 22 - 5"
    Jan, 21 - 29"
    Jan, 20 - 21"
    Jan, 19 - 14"
    Jan, 18 - 25"
    Jan, 17 - 3"
    Jan, 13 - 13"
    Jan, 12 - 3"
    Jan, 10 - 2"
    Jan, 09 - 1"

Wow, this is a thread after my own heart as I was pondering this very thing recently.

I have Mammoth vouchers and flyer miles to use up. I also have always wanted to hit up Steamboat (I've always thought it's a place I would love). And here you are mentioning both. I think it's a sign!

So why am I not going somewhere in March?? Hmmm.....

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Had good enough snow that time of the year last year at Jackson that I'm doing it again this year (March 13-21), despite having less expensive opportunities to ski in Summit Co...

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    Wow, this is a thread after my own heart as I was pondering this very thing recently.

I have Mammoth vouchers and flyer miles to use up. I also have always wanted to hit up Steamboat (I've always thought it's a place I would love). And here you are mentioning both. I think it's a sign!

So why am I not going somewhere in March?? Hmmm.....

Sprite
    You will be less saucy if you didn't burn through those Mammoth vouchers.

Got to agree with 395 Hellion, Mammoth is a can't miss spot for a march trip.
    73" of new snow this past week and 388" season to date. i.e. 32 ft!!!!
    Last week was awesome. Two killer bluebird pow days and three deep stormriding days. Dumped 27" in 12 hours last night and looks to be clearing. Taking today off as the weekend crowd is here and I need the rest. Back out tomorrow.
    Went to Utah three weeks ago for five days. Fun to ski other areas
    (alta, bird, snow b, brighton) but it's better here. El nino is still going strong out west. Have a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Last week was awesome. Two killer bluebird pow days and three deep stormriding days. Dumped 27" in 12 hours last night and looks to be clearing. Taking today off as the weekend crowd is here and I need the rest. Back out tomorrow.
    (alta, bird, snow b, brighton) but it's better here. El nino is still going strong out west. Have a good trip.
    Sick. I'm planning to go touring out there in the first week of May. Looks like the snowpack will be solid!

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Sick. I'm planning to go touring out there in the first week of May. Looks like the snowpack will be solid!
    check these out. Photos of Mammoth from Wednesday. This is what happens when you get 30 inches of Sierra Cement on top of Monday's 16 inches of blower. Result was lots of slides and super unstable snowpack. Skiing was fun, you just had to ski the stuff in between the debris fields.

check these out. Photos of Mammoth from Wednesday. This is what happens when you get 30 inches of Sierra Cement on top of Monday's 16 inches of blower. Result was lots of slides and super unstable snowpack. Skiing was fun, you just had to ski the stuff in between the debris fields.
    That is some impressive debris. I'm imagining/hoping that things will be much more isothermal come May.

Looks like a picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

agreed. mammoth in march. or april. or may. and sometimes even june. last sunday was epic. 32" day before, and that's not uncommon in the second half of the season.

412" and counting!

Alyeska 539" and counting. Pretty soon more daylight than anywhere in the lower 48.

Just sayin'.

Skiing there this Friday on the way to cordova. First time at Alyeska. Got any recommandations i.e must ski lines etc....

Thanks

if your skiing alyeska the two best runs on the mountain are christmas shoot and the knuckles. finding christmas from the top of chair 6 is easy, the knuckles are found by entering the highest gate of north face, ragdoll, and traversing to skiers right. the knuckles always has amazing snow. we got 40 inches of fresh at the top today so every thing is closed right now

Alyeska, 639" and counting. Chair 6 open today to get after the 40"+ that didn't get hit yesterday, on top of the 34" from Friday's blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by willmtbike4food View Post
    Had good enough snow that time of the year last year at Jackson that I'm doing it again this year (March 13-21), despite having less expensive opportunities to ski in Summit Co...
    Hope you changed you plans or plan to spend your time drinking.

^I fucking love girdwood....

yesterday was epic. got fresh tracks all the way down ragdoll. laughed my entire way to the tram, then sulked because of the spring break tram line. Low T was killer too, so many lazy people never make it to the end of the traverse.

They have to open New Years soon......

Agreed, New Years, Monies, Headwall, all need to be open like 07/08 season, but I guess we don't have any comps any more. Fortunately, we have the pass Yesterday was epic, many spots held good snow late into the day even with the spring breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by pow314 View Post
    if your skiing alyeska the two best runs on the mountain are christmas shoot and the knuckles. finding christmas from the top of chair 6 is easy, the knuckles are found by entering the highest gate of north face, ragdoll, and traversing to skiers right. the knuckles always has amazing snow. we got 40 inches of fresh at the top today so every thing is closed right now
    Had a great day at Alyeska yesterday. Sunnny, cold and light crowds. Took your advice and made christmas shoot our first run. Good stuff. Steep and long. Did a couple more laps and saw a few people lining up for the opening of New Years for the first time this year. Super fun, only about ten people in front of me. Overall I was stoked on Alyeska. Stopped at a cool, stoney shop just down the road, Girdwood Ski and Cyclery?? Guy inside took the time to give advice on my buddies boot problem even though he was running late to his own 50th birthday party. Thanks bro.

Flying to Cordova this afternoon for a week at PNH. Praying for good weather.

Wow Alyeska looks amazing. Cant be a cheap trip though I bet.

Looking for a new place to visit with my buddies this year at the beginning of March.

We have done well visiting Utah (Alta/Bird) in Feb/March the last couple of years, and are reluctant to leave...

What are other historically good early March resorts. Places which we have thought about are J-hole, Alyeska, Colorado and Lake Tahoe area.

Obviously there are no crystal balls, and it is always unpredictable. I just wanted to get an idea what people's thoughts were.

Elisa Jack Guest
    I've searched the internet for a while now trying to get some decent facts but everything is so Sales oriented. So I though I'd post the question where some experts can help me out

I'm looking for the best ski resport in Europe at the most budget price. We're from Australia and this is the first time skiing in Europe so we really have no idea where to start. We'll be going in the middle of march so someplace that'll have lots of snow then is prefered

I was leaning towards Bulgaria because of the obvious budget factor, but I'm still open to other places. Premium runs and snow probably isn't a must since we're both fairly new at skiing, we'd be happy sliding over ice cubes we he had to. But obviously I'd like the best place on a budget