Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lhasa Pow Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    ^^ Nah, the white should be blood red. That would be a truly evil ski ready to slay.
    I guess that would be cool ski for all the Twilight fans out there! Seriously though, I was just thinking about the black and red and you're right..it would be a pretty sweet setup..

Sounds like someone should make some white skis with blood dripping off the tails and call them 'Fangs' in case the vamp trends continue.
    In lieu of that, all I got is some mere mortal Lhasa Pow stoke...

Andy cruisin' Canyons pow.

z-bro (poached from mofro, I think.)

powdork out there somewhere

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twilight.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	95706

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    ....powdork out there somewhere
    NICE !!!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    NICE !!!

I think Powdork did a tail tap on that pillow before landing switch. Nice shot!

Here's a little stoke from last week.

I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

One of my favorite images from this season.

Hi Lhasa owners,

A quick question, I got a pair of 191s whilst over in the USA and have so far only put 4 days on them during a January trip to Zinal.

I am out with my family in Stuben/St Anton next week, and it's looking like it's going to be warm and slushy. I am thinking the Lhasas would be perfect when skiing with my kids on piste to power through the crud, and just wondered what others thought of them for on piste spring snow?

Alternatively I could take my High Society Freerides......

Cheers,

Greg

and here they are in action skinning up the back of Zinal

and coming back down...

Quote Originally Posted by gregh View Post
    Hi Lhasa owners,

A quick question, I got a pair of 191s whilst over in the USA and have so far only put 4 days on them during a January trip to Zinal.

I am out with my family in Stuben/St Anton next week, and it's looking like it's going to be warm and slushy. I am thinking the Lhasas would be perfect when skiing with my kids on piste to power through the crud, and just wondered what others thought of them for on piste spring snow?
    They are awesome in corn and crud.

Take the Lhasas. You won't be disappointed; they're magic in Salz.

Any reviews on the 179 Lhasa yet?

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    Any reviews on the 179 Lhasa yet?
    I'm not really well qualified, considering I've only really been on skis for this current season besides maybe 10 times over the last 10 years of my life. I'm at the point where I can comfortably drop into steep bowls and chutes if they have smooth and consistent snow but I get destroyed in any kind of moguled or runneled terrain and am not really competent at jump turns etc. But consider me a pretty decent snowboarder who understands mechanics and is not afraid of speed - I'm just still trying to teach my body to do all the things I know it needs to do to ski. My other ski setup is a 178 cm Rossi B94 - stiff underfoot, fast, not forgiving, but you can hold backseat turns railing through groomers or deep powder and you need to be forward to get the ski to come around in steep variable stuff.

I also weigh like a shrimp - 5' 8" (173 cm) and 130 lbs (60 kg).

I got one day (this last Saturday 4/2) on a 179 brototype with Solly demo bindings in a mix of manky Elmer's glue-off piste, almost-corn but more like faster manky runnelled off piste, manky groomers, and "semi-corned" groomers that actually got a refreeze the night before (nothing else did). Of course the almost-corn mank runneled bowl and "semi-corned" groomers were most enjoyable.

Here are my impressions of a Lhasa 179 from that day:

Nimble nimble nimble - "jumping nimbly bimbly from tree to tree" - was my main impression. I think this quality is a result of both construction and geometry. The full carbon layup makes the moment of inertia and swing weight so effortless - that combined with the tip rise means you can get the ski around extremely quickly. Even though it does not have much sidecut the tapered shape makes the ski quick to go from a big carve to a tight smear if you want it too (looks like all the sidecut is in front of the boot as it seems really straight behind the boot). This made everything really fun to ski.

Next quality is damp and snappy. Damp snowboards, and by my guess, skis, are generally not snappy. Snappy boards and skis seem to be a bit more chattery on refreezing uneven surfaces. The carbon layup gives it this incredibly snappy modulus but also dampens a lot of high-frequency vibrations.

Next quality is forward engagement ... some skis you can get away with riding backseat, but it seemed to me like all of the ski is in the 12-15" immediately in front of the boot. It seemed to me like if you can ski the boards from there, then you can do anything you want. I got a little backseat at speed coming down a runneled bowl and everything fell apart quickly - the ski owned me once I slipped back and I exploded on a runnel with no way to recover. That tail felt really stiff and unforgiving.

Fatness - I didn't really notice it, or feel that the ski was so much fatter than my Rossis (it really is, especially right at the front point of engagement at the end of the camber). However, nothing was firm enough to really test the difference in feeling on edge.

I didn't really try to get GS power carves as the conditions weren't really suited for that. And I was completely afraid of losing a knee or two coming through the super glue boot-deep mank we had due to a lack of refreeze.

Anyways, take those notes for what they are worth - from a snowboarder who can't ski like a rockstar but who really understands mechanics.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Video from closing weekend at Mission Ridge, I love my 191 Lhasa Pows.

POV follow and chase cams are me on my Lhasas

Lhasa tele, hell yeah. You oughta check in with Big Tim at telemarktips, Aaron.
    I think he has his 191s set up with NTNs.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    z-bro (poached from mofro, I think.)
    Z-bro, but Dromond for the photo credit actually...
    Back side of Chair Peak earlier this season.
    Two pairs of Lhasa's in that party.
    Last edited by AlpenChronicHabitual; 04-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.

I finally got to feel some Lhasa stoke! 191 Fats are $$

edit: to save myself from posting my inbounds gaping vid
    Last edited by Piggity; 04-25-2011 at 01:26 PM.

[/insert Lhasa stoke]
    Max in Whistler...

sick photo! love the base shots

Still frame of the 191 Fats in action.
    Last edited by Piggity; 04-29-2011 at 01:33 AM.

anyone have a shot of the profile? tried to search in a couple diff threads and couldn't find one. thanks

191 Fats profile this morning:

191 Fats profile Sunday morning:

powder11 sent me this shot of Max. Good enough to zoom in on, then show the full shot.
    Thanks, Toby!

Well, that's pretty big...

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    Lord Vader, your quiver has arrived
    This needs a bump.

So nice... I'm drooling over the pics in this thread. Setting up the 2011/2012 quiver and Lhasa 191's w/ clear tops and 192's should arrive sometime soon. Totally stoked.

4 months until it starts snowing again? I'll be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Well, that's pretty big...
    insane. I just kept scrolling down wondering where that huck was supposed to end.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Lhasa Pow Stoke

Haulin' my Pows & my 50 yr old ass up Shannon Ridge.. the plan was to bust their cherry on the Sulfide, but the cloud cover on the Ridge was too think to make the glacier.. So after an hour, settled for dodging Shannon trees.. & tree wells..

but, finally got out on them..

sorry the stoke is kinda lame..
    tho WTF.. I dug it!!
    FKNA!