Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Lhasa Pow Stoke

Lhasa Pow Stoke

Just thought we could get a thread going here on LP stoke; regardless of size, carbon or glass. I'll start it by posting a couple pics of todays tour. It was shite light for pics but the snow was sweet and the Lhasa Pows performed flawlessly! Amazing how easily I could go from opening it up and ripping some big fast turns to shutting it down when the trees got tight. Sweet! Now we just need some more snow!
    Last edited by SouthCentralShralper; 02-03-2010 at 08:34 PM.

I like the heart shaped snowflake....

schweeeeeet!

I love the way my Lhasa's perform in all conditions, however, I am such a pussy I haven't taken out yet this year because I don't want to get them all f...ed up due to the shitty conditions.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Lhasa Pow it's a good thing

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'll play

ZBro - craziest tree skier I've ever known....

I love how you often look like Ghost Rider with the faceshots, dibs...

The vid shows the LP "making snow more enjoyable". It was funky crud w/ wind blown snow:
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/9121772"]http://vimeo.com/9121772[/ame]
    Last edited by StormDay; 02-05-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Atrain505's vid is sick! Thats some of the best POV shots I've seen! Would love to see the full length feature...

More Lhasa Pow Stoke from last weekend. We're just startin to tip toe into steeper lines here in Idaho. The pack is stabilizing a bit and the LPs just make it that much more fun!

I wanna play too....

You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

I heart my LPs.

they're the bestest!

pow!

....mounted a pair of 186s Lhasas and hit the bird over the weekend...holy shit...I feel like i have been missing out these last few years. Crud busters, surfy turns, poppy, fast edge to edge...

Lhasa Pow 186 Carbon Review

PM Gear Lhasa Pow 186 Carbon Review by and for non-mag JONGs.

WTF? Another review of the 186? Yup.

But, WHY??? To share my perspective from a non-maggot point of view and hopefully get more joe schmoes like me stoked on Lhasas. You absolutely do NOT have to be a smokin' hot TGR ripper to have a blast on these skis.

Skier: Gary, weekend warrior type, not particularly strong or fit.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 155 lbs
    Style: Garden variety advanced skier, a pussy by TGR standards. Not an exracer, no big air, no park, speed is typically slowish. But I have been skiing for 30 years and for the last decade I've been skiing mostly off piste and even more recently some backcountry skinning and hiking and stuff. I like billygoating through technical terrain although I avoid mandatory no fall zones above cliff bands and such. I ski mainly at Kirkwood, Alpine, and Sugarbowl. I'm currently on 178cm Dynastar 8800's, Marker Barons on the line, and Lange 130 World Cups. I like my skis soft and my boots stiff. I also have been telemark skiing for the past few years, but that's a whole other story for some other day.

OK, you probably know that the stellar Lhasa Pow is loved and coveted by its owners. Just a few of the many threads here on TGR:

191 PM Gear Lhasa Fat

the 179 Lhasa Sickest ski ever!!!

191 Lhasa Wow

Lhasa-186-on-hardpack-question....

Review 188 s7 191 Lhasa 190 Lotus 120

191 Lhasas for a lightweight?

190 Lotus 120 vs 191 Lhasa Pow

REVIEW: 191 Lhasa Pow!!!

Lasha Pow: I owe Spalt a review!!

191 Lhasa Production-Paging Splat

Lhasa 186 vs EHP 186??

HELP! BRO 183 or Lhasa 186 or something else?

JONG Gaperific Gear Review - 186 All Glass Lhasa Pow, Marker Duke, BD Factor

GIANT THROBBING WOODY (196 lhasa related)

Lhasa Pow 186 vs 196 Review

186 Rocker Review Thread

FKNA! nsfw

Something people should know about splat

So after lots of poking around on TGR and picking up the buzz on PM Gear, Splat, Bros, and the Lhasas, I saw that I could demo the Lhasas at Cornice Sports in Kirkwood, and for only $20! Let's do it!

After a first look at the skis in person, I gotta tell ya, I was feeling pretty intimidated. These monsters were massive compared to my 178 Dynastar 8800s. But I pretty much instantly felt comfortable on these skis. "Let's get acquainted" turns on groomers? Cake. Traversing icy, sun crusty slopes? Not a problem. Firm and steep? Yeah, edge bite and control are awesome. And then I went for some cut up heavy crud. Hole Lee Fuck!!! Like a magic carpet ride, these babies glided through mashed potatoes like nobody's business. I was skiing with speed and control with a standard centered/forward stance in snow conditions that were barely survivable with any of my previous skis. What a revelation! So much fun!!! I actually found myself for the first time ever searching for cruddy, manky snow to ski in. Just so amazing how effortlessly these babies slice and arc smooth GS turns in shit snow. And in total control though I was skiing faster than ever. So confidence inspiring, so sweet, and so much fun!

Zipperlining the moguls? Yes. Trees? Oh Hells yes. Truly unbelievable how maneuverable these skis are when you need them to be and yet so stable at speed in variable conditions. And then it started flurrying big, fat flakes. Ended up being only a couple of inches on firm, but so damn much fun. I've read that these skis are really easy to ski, and that's the complete truth. I'm no XXL or RC112 driver either; I'm coming off of noodly 'get these for your girlfriend' 8800's.

The Lhasa's are high performance, versatile, and forgiving skis. That last quality is very important to me because as I get tired and sloppy towards the end of the day, I don't want to get spanked by my skis. It seemed that whenever I got in the backseat, it took little effort to regain a centered stance whereas on other skis, tailgunning would result in a quick and ugly spiral out of control. Simply amazing.

And yeah, if you've never skiied rocker, well, what the hell are you waiting for? By the end of the day, I was actually feeling that these skis which have a bigger footprint than anything I've skiied before were a tad short. How is that even possible? Dunno. So, based on Splat's recommendation, I've placed my order for the 2010/11 191's. Tits!

A work buddy of mine who is decidely intermediate had hit a plateau on his old internet special, way too stiff Atomic TM Exs. He demo'ed the Lhasas after I raved about 'em. He's still an intermediate, windshield wiper on blue groomers kind of skier, but he had the same 'magic carpet ride' feeling as I when skiing in the heavy Sierra crud. These skis open up so much more of the mountain for those of us who 'ski as other commitments allow' whether conditions are good or (most likely) not so good. And they're so forgiving and easy to ski that even an intermediate can have a blast on 'em. He demo'ed them a second time, to see if it was a fluke or something. It wasn't. This summer, Ted, who doesn't part easily with his cash, bought a pair of 186s. Turd got his Lhasas before I've got mine.

I'm a cheap bastard, too, and for three decades bought all my gear on close out at steep discounts. I usually keep my equipment 'til it breaks. And while I've skiied on comparatively few skis over the years and have no experience with competitors to the Lhasa, I do know that it's super highly regarded here on TGR and it's by far the funnest and most horizon expanding ski I've ever clicked into. It's a given that this is an awesome one-ski quiver for experts. I'm super stoked to report that this ski kills it for mere mortals like me as well. FKNA kills it!!!

See ya on the slopes.

Gary (embryonic-maggot) Park

mini update: spent the 2010/11 season rocking the 191 lhasa's and surprise, surprise: they fucking kick ass. that is all.

Miscellaneous quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    The 186 Lhasa pow is the BEST SKI I HAVE EVER BEEN ON.

Period.

Incredibly playful and light, but still floats and rips every condition out there. I could ski it everyday.

I work at a shop, and get to demo everything. I have owned/skied most skis that are popular within the TGR crowd. I have the ability to proform almost any ski on the market, but not PM gear.

I still bought the lhasas. If you are on the fence, I encourage you to make the right choice.

Just sayin.

And for the record, I am 5'9 145#. Jump off stuff and ski pretty hard. I ski most things around 190cm. 186's are playful and great at bridger. If I skied more open terrain, I would go 191. Mostly pow/big and fast, I would go 196.

And the 192 is a rippin ski. If you want to start stompin your landings...
    posted 1/17/2012:
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    A lot of people have told me the Lhasa shape has been around for a while and I should move into the short sidecut/flat cut rockered tip/tail arena to keep up with the progression in shapes. I just kinda shake my head because I feel the Lhasa shapes have yet to be dialed in for perfection in the one ski quiver arena. I thought the 191 would be the ultimate iteration of the Lhasa but I was wrong. To date, the 191 Fat is indeed what I've been shooting for. To have access to the carbon fiber I can get has been the feather in this ski's cap. No, there is not a button you can press so it does everything for you. No, it is not for people with no grip on technique or form. The world is full of those skis. It's a hard chargin mofo for the guys who know what a real ski should be able to do in every fukking condition the mountain can deal. It's made to ski 60 mph and huck 60 ft hucks all day long. But it will also ski easily at casual speeds like a ski should, in any conditions, ice to crap to groomer to deep pow. I'd rather be known for building a few of these skis than be known for building a million inferior skis to make a buck selling crap.
    Last edited by parkmeister; 02-10-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Alta with the dump truck out on April 1st 2010, sick.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alta POW.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	81850  
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Yo, parkmeister, thanks for the compilation of reviews! Just putting the finishing touches on 100 pair before they go to a shop for stonegrinding. Gonna sort them and pick some out for our labor day sale, which will include some carbon blems in various sizes (including some splatulas, fattie lovers) perfect carbons in various sizes and a few pair of 196 Lhasa carbons. Won't know which ones I'll be including until after this weekend...

We decided not to have a preseason sale in March, but to just build the skis and have the sale in time for the first mountaintop snows in September to get everyone amped.

Word on the streets is that Splat is trying out the Lhasa topsheets with a clear background to show off the carbon layers underneath... I'm monitoring the prices for aisan black market kidneys as we speak.

I need a pair in my life!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Great review Parkmang, parallels my experience [no pun intended] as a similar style skier. I have the 191's, pack a bunch more pounds than you, but the length and flex feel perfect. Enjoy 'em!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

It's uh... uh... it's down there somewhere, let me take another look.

Yo, parkmeister, thanks for the compilation of reviews! Just putting the finishing touches on 100 pair before they go to a shop for stonegrinding. Gonna sort them and pick some out for our labor day sale, which will include some carbon blems in various sizes (including some splatulas, fattie lovers) perfect carbons in various sizes and a few pair of 196 Lhasa carbons. Won't know which ones I'll be including until after this weekend...

We decided not to have a preseason sale in March, but to just build the skis and have the sale in time for the first mountaintop snows in September to get everyone amped.

thanks Splat. I never dream it seems like. Then last night what do i dream about? Clicking the damn gear page waiting for your blems to be posted only to have some jack ass beat me to a primo pair of splatulas by 10 seconds. Kind of a weird dream really.

There will be only a couple pair of Splatula graphic blems in that sale.
    I'm getting pms from interested parties already and they could disappear before the sale even happens....

SORRY for the stupid question, and way off stoke, but what is the name of the musical artist?

ps...I heart my bros.

ZBro - craziest tree skier I've ever known....

There will be only a couple pair of Splatula graphic blems in that sale.
    I'm getting pms from interested parties already and they could disappear before the sale even happens....
    o well if theres a pair theres a pair. if not its one less thing i have to try to explain to the gf.