Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Lhasa Pow Stoke

Make no mistake. It breaks my heart that this happened. For all the criticism I endured as a result of other people making skis for me that failed, the last few years I personally made the skis, I had a fail rate of about .25%. The blem rate was much higher because I was making a ski no one else on the planet was willing to build and I was doing it on a very low tech, low budget approach to a high tech finished product. Instead of 5 steps to make a perfect product, there were about 25 steps that had to go down flawlessly to crank out a perfect pair. To say it was very difficult would be a huuuuudge understatement, which is why only one guy in North America was willing to try. And he failed miserably at every step except getting the topsheets aligned correctly.

The most gratifying aspect of it all was that the people who appreciated the skis most were also extremely good skiers. The better they were, the more they got it. Maybe it was foolish pride, maybe it was bad business, but I just couldn't join the race to the bottom to make the cheapest ski possible, whether here or in China. I was driven to make the best possible skis in new shapes with cutting edge composites and artistic function in the form. I guess I had the misplaced faith that the means to manufacture the skis more perfectly and economically would arrive with economies of scale that would require a larger scale of production to gain those advantages. The financing for all that was on the horizon. I had a promise of a $2 million investment to do just as I described above had the guy on Vashon delivered as promised. But he proved to be very short-sighted, costing me and a bunch of fellow maggots our dream.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Make no mistake. It breaks my heart that this happened. For all the criticism I endured as a result of other people making skis for me that failed, the last few years I personally made the skis, I had a fail rate of about .25%. The blem rate was much higher because I was making a ski no one else on the planet was willing to build and I was doing it on a very low tech, low budget approach to a high tech finished product. Instead of 5 steps to make a perfect product, there were about 25 steps that had to go down flawlessly to crank out a perfect pair. To say it was very difficult would be a huuuuudge understatement, which is why only one guy in North America was willing to try. And he failed miserably at every step except getting the topsheets aligned correctly.

The most gratifying aspect of it all was that the people who appreciated the skis most were also extremely good skiers. The better they were, the more they got it. Maybe it was foolish pride, maybe it was bad business, but I just couldn't join the race to the bottom to make the cheapest ski possible, whether here or in China. I was driven to make the best possible skis in new shapes with cutting edge composites and artistic function in the form. I guess I had the misplaced faith that the means to manufacture the skis more perfectly and economically would arrive with economies of scale that would require a larger scale of production to gain those advantages. That financing fall all that was on the horizon. I had a promise of a $2 million investment to do just as I described above had the guy on Vashon delivered as he promised. But he proved to be very short-sighted, costing me and a bunch of fellow maggots our dream.
    Pat, again, I'm terribly sorry to hear this happened. Both because I love the skis, and I love what they represented. jesski and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Sucks to hear Pat. I fucking love my 191 Lhasa Fats! I will ski them till they die and may grab another pair if the chance ever arrises. This ski fucking rips so hard in varying conditions it's insane.If I would have known this was the end of PMGear, I would have never let go of my 187Fats, as I love that ski as well. Here's to all the best man and hope that one day you will build skis again.

keep smilin', splat, i have a feeling you'll stomp this landing and slarve your way into tomorrow and beyond!

PM Gear Whirled Headquarters
    by parkmeister ..., on Flickr

these skis do not suck:

PMGear Lhasa Pow 191
    by parkmeister ..., on Flickr

FKNA!!!!!!!!!!!
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

So what's up with the equipment? Maybe PM could live on with another Maggot or group of Maggots?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    So what's up with the equipment? Maybe PM could live on with another Maggot or group of Maggots?
    That would be sick

As things got worser, it had to be sold and went to Deano to make the H2O skis in SLC. Dean wanted me to move over and work with him on his product and I told him my fiberglass exposure and hypersensitivity had nearly killed me with a brutal lung infection and I just can't be hands on anymore, which was the crux of the biscuit. I knew I was rolling the dice thinking someone else, even someone with decades of experience, could carry the ball.

Unhappy

Pat, I am very sorry to hear about this.
    I know you fought windmills year after year. I had always hoped your vision could translate into consistent scalable manufacture.
    What you created sold itself. You just had to get them on peoples feet.

Honestly I can get down a hill with 2x4s' strapped to my feet. that said, The skis I have purchased from you are very special. Specifically the 196 Lhasa I own. I have never found a limit on those skis. What a joy to just do whatever you want in any conditions you happen to be in.

I never think much about those skis as I rip it through rocks and trees. Complete confidence. I have nothing else like them and cannot image doing without.

You have created endless smiles and daydreams of things done, (On your Skis)

I think we all lose if your vison does not continue to manifest itself as Sticks on our feet.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Great product and even better person behind it all. That pretty much doesn't exist these days. For a dude i never met and having owned several pairs....he always treated me like an old friend. Best in your future endeavors splat.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    As things got worser, it had to be sold and went to Deano to make the H2O skis in SLC. Dean wanted me to move over and work with him on his product and I told him my fiberglass exposure and hypersensitivity had nearly killed me with a brutal lung infection and I just can't be hands on anymore, which was the crux of the biscuit. I knew I was rolling the dice thinking someone else, even someone with decades of experience, could carry the ball.
    I wondered where dean got his slc setup from. Would love to know who's hands are doing the building.

When Keith was pressing them they were awesome. I have not skied any of the slc made Skis and have reserved judgment until I can. Least I know the equipment works right.
    Last edited by Skidog; 09-13-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Awe shit, that just sucks. I was a little late to the game but my Lhasa are the best damn skis I've ever owned...and I'm a bit of a whore.

Pat, all the best man, it was always a pleasure to do business with you and I'm sure you will succeed in whatever endeavors you choose.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Tough to hear. I really enjoyed the skis I got from Pat. Knowing that pat and co made em made it even better. Best of luck in new endeavors!!

It is a tribute to Pat and PMGear that all the folks on his boards will be enjoying his vision in the snow we all love for some time to come. I know I will.

It truly makes me sad in the pants it has come to an end but things happen for a reason. I have known folks who had to walk away from custom laminates due to health reasons and it's the right move.

I join everyone in wishing Pat nothing but goodness in the near and distant future. His ski karma will pay him back handsomely.
    watch out for snakes

Well this is just fucking terrible news. I'm really sorry it has all worked out like this.

I've owned two pairs of 179s - a green floppy pair and a carbon fibre pair. Both much loved but for different reasons. And two pairs of Lhasas - one warrantied no questions asked and the other bomb proof but now beaten to shit. Being English, it will not surprise you that my skiing sucks. But I can honestly say that the Lhasa was a total revelation, taking me from cautious turns to a bigger, faster and more aggressive approach to skiing.

This fucking blows. I am so very sorry. I wish you all the best.

Sad news, but glad I was able to snag a pair of 179 Bros when I did.

Well shit. This is terrible news. I've been skiing the AK-made 183 Bros forever now as my primary ski for both resort and BC. Granted with the kid and drought both arriving in 2012 I haven't been skiing as much as I normally do but dam if I just can't seem to put a dent in those things so I just keep skiing them. I was fully planning on getting a pair of PM Gears latest and greatest in the next year or so since we moved to a place where it actually snows (except last year) and the kid is going to start skiing this year. I will be lost now as to what to put under my feet. I wish you all the best Pat. You have never been anything but a stand up gentleman and friend to me and divegirl.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

This sucks.

I will gladly pay for your services as a consultant when buying new skis. Seriously. If I hit a few rocks like I did last year, the Llasas are not long for this world. What will I do then?

Good luck.

Just want to add some PM Gear stoke. I have had nothing but good things to say about my PM Gear skis and always enjoyed talking them up in the lift line when asked about them. The AK 183 is probably the most bomber ski ever made, and I don't know if I will ever wear it out. The 186 Lhasa is still one of the best all around ski made, and mine still gets used regularly.

On my last trip through SLC skifishbum lent me some Kalusa's and though I only got a day on them due to conditions I was amazed at what a great poe specific ski it was. I have been lusting for a set, but don't get enough pure pow days to justify, now I will always long for my own pair.

I just hope that this means will will hear that classic Splat laugh echoing aross the slopes more often now that he has to time to enjoy some of the great skis he made.

An anecdote of classic Splat style: I had ordered a pair of 179's back in the early days and was wait (im)patiently for them to be made. As usual at that time things were always a bit slow, and Splat wasn't sure when they would be ready, and the season was fast approaching. Splat told me to take a pair of AK 183's and if I didn't like them he would swap them when the 179 production run happened. Needless to say, I am still using the 183's. I guess if I decide I don't like them it is too late to switch

Good ONYA Pat for a great run of skis. Sorry plans didn't work out, and best of luck in all your future endeavors. Let's make some Mammoth turns this year, here's to hoping El Nino delivers....CHEERS

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I want to extend a personal thanks to splat for doing what he did for so long, and for doing it right. For treating us customers so well and for bending over backwards to do the right thing. For being a pillar of this community. For sacrificing his health for a dream. I'm sure many of us remember when the bro model was just an idea; a rough around the edges prototype in one size. Now look... several sizes of fucking beautiful hand made skis. It will be an honor and a humbling experience to rip down the hill on a piece of history.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Inspired by Woody and wanting to say thank you to Pat for all his hard work, easy communication and support. Wish you the best of luck with you future endeavors, I know I enjoyed every day I was on your skis. Cheers.

[img][/img]
    [img][/img]

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Fucking sick

Awesome pics kev

Yeah. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Inspired by Woody and wanting to say thank you to Pat for all his hard work, easy communication and support. Wish you the best of luck with you future endeavors, I know I enjoyed every day I was on your skis. Cheers.
    I'm glad I was an inspiration. Badass pics man! Thanks so much for sharing.

Who else has pics of Bros, Lhasas, Fats, Super Bro, Kusala, Bya, etc in action? How about some videos? Any OG mags: Z-Bo - you have anything in your reserve collection that hasn't seen the light of the internet? Atrain? Powder11? Come on guys lets see the best of the best!

I gotta admit, this thread is what convinced me to pick up Lhasa pows in the first place and I'm glad I now get to add to the stoke for these skis.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Fucking sick
    Right across the street from BBI16.
    Move upside and let the man go through...