Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

is whistler going to be a shit show this weekend?

The roads not closed yet. The parking lots are.

Whats a weekend warrior to do?

Probably a good laugh for anyone in the village.

Q: shitshow?
    A: yes.

The buses are fucked. The free #5 shuttle is gone. Most buses leave from Main St which means walking from the lifts. You might as well walk home.

The town is full of rent-a-cops, walkie-talkie carrying bus managers who have no idea WTF is going on, and volunteers who have been living out of their uniforms for at least 6 days and who flaunt their big pic passes like it means something.

Everything useful is closed down, from optometrists to local tailors. The grocery stores are full of Germans laughing about chocolate for some reason, and the lines are loooong. Already.

You can't park on ANY ROAD on Whistler. People are parking 8 cars to a single driveway.

Both 99 and Lorimer have aimless, near useless crossing guards. On 99 they have big bright lights that add to the road confusion with the pylon nightmare and lack of lines on the road. Traffic has slowed down to a crawl. Whistler completely jammed over the weekend with all roads backed up into 99. I've never seen anything like it.

Hoards of tourists are already making the Village near impossible to walk though. It's like human molasses.

Police roadblocks are common. Big black helis are flying over every hour or so, and twin fighter jets do passes every few days.

Oh yah, come up, 90% of the mountain is open!! But Creekside is closed, there's nowhere to park, and it will take hours to get here.

If all my Olympicon tix sell I am getting the fuck outta here.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I think that would qualify as a genuine shit show!

about 5000 people total on both hills the last couple of days. Total fucking shitshow to get here, but if you can, the hill is a ghost town.

Fuck a duck. And it's not even the weekend yet, wait until all the warriors like me decide to come up one last time before the road closes.

Poor ass planning, they should've shut the 99 down as soon as the lots closed, what's the point otherwise?

shawn - can you make it snow a bit for the love of god? Almost thinking of riding my bike or doing some trailwork this weekend.

Ya the forecast not looking good this weekend, and with the highway open but no parking it could be chaos. Even funnier because the daylots (at least the last couple of days) are only about 10% full, but no one can park there.
    edit: I suppose you could take the bus...

However the stability is pretty damn good. Great weekend to be in the backcountry I'd say.

Lee - I hear there's a fair bit of riding getting done around Squamish right now.
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 02-02-2010 at 09:57 PM.

guess I picked a good week to visit ontario....

yeah todd - its never a bad time to visit family. Cute nephews.

I'd love to do some missions but blundering around in flat light limits the options especially since when the missions involve glacier skipping. Excuses i know.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    yeah todd - its never a bad time to visit family. Cute nephews.

I'd love to do some missions but blundering around in flat light limits the options especially since when the missions involve glacier skipping. Excuses i know.
    call it a rest week and get the legs ready for when it starts firing again! really good to see the fam though, twice in less than a year, should be good for a while now!

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Q: shitshow?
    A: yes.

The buses are fucked. The free #5 shuttle is gone. Most buses leave from Main St which means walking from the lifts. You might as well walk home.

The town is full of rent-a-cops, walkie-talkie carrying bus managers who have no idea WTF is going on, and volunteers who have been living out of their uniforms for at least 6 days and who flaunt their big pic passes like it means something.

Everything useful is closed down, from optometrists to local tailors. The grocery stores are full of Germans laughing about chocolate for some reason, and the lines are loooong. Already.

You can't park on ANY ROAD on Whistler. People are parking 8 cars to a single driveway.

Both 99 and Lorimer have aimless, near useless crossing guards. On 99 they have big bright lights that add to the road confusion with the pylon nightmare and lack of lines on the road. Traffic has slowed down to a crawl. Whistler completely jammed over the weekend with all roads backed up into 99. I've never seen anything like it.

Hoards of tourists are already making the Village near impossible to walk though. It's like human molasses.

Police roadblocks are common. Big black helis are flying over every hour or so, and twin fighter jets do passes every few days.

Oh yah, come up, 90% of the mountain is open!! But Creekside is closed, there's nowhere to park, and it will take hours to get here.

If all my Olympicon tix sell I am getting the fuck outta here.
    This report from the field should be in the Vancouver paper tomorrow!

Keep it coming!

We need a man, taking the bullet, wadeing through the shit-show, mile after mile, giving TGR readers the scoop on the skinny in the village, all Olympics long. You are that man.

thanx

-Now I gotta say, I heard on Maui 5-6 months ago from whistler locals that are seasonal regulars here that they were renting their places out for the season and bailing.

I hope you all get out in time and have a great time skiing and traveling and if you have to stay there and work you a very well paid.

[QUOTE=khyber.pass;273273
    [/QUOTE]

Damn that's funny, yet unfortunate at the same time. Living in the PNW I was stoked when Vancouver was awarded the Olympics (10yrs ago?). However, being up there last May convinced me that attending the Olympics at Whistler, regardless of how much I like the place, was going to be a cubic fuck ton of chaos.

I heard a report on the news that Vancouver was spending $800million dollars on security. Specially trained divers, giant floating barriers to protect cruise ships from small crafts, all the special security on the mountain, etc. etc.

Hope it all goes off without a hitch.

Thanks very much for the update khyber.pass

We're headed up Friday night. Based on your intel, I think we'll have a leisurely dinner in Vancouver somewhere and shoot for a late night Whistler arrival.

"d00d let's go to whistler!"
    "where will you park?"
    *blank stare*
    holy fucking shitballs

gona be arriving tomorrow ,there till the 27th ... I did expect a shot show

at least when we are working on the course the b-nets & crowd control will keep out the public

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    about 5000 people total on both hills the last couple of days. Total fucking shitshow to get here, but if you can, the hill is a ghost town.
    That was the norm in Salt Lake during 2002. If it decides to dump, anyone lucky enough to be on W/B will be enjoying semi-private powder during the Games

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Flat light just did me in with two cracked ribs and whiplash thx to a 25 foot wind lip off the backside of Oboe .. luckily just a 10 day repair on this one. But seriously, the flat light is brutal right now. That said, stability is excellent and the pow is keeping fresh...

I could be enticed to gonzo blog the Olympicon but damn I'd want something out of it. Like cold hard cash and an all-access shitshow pass. Trying to sell the rest of my tix so I can get a road trip on. Already made 175% profit on tix already sold, so at least the Games have taught me something about capitalism: fuck it while it's hot.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

I could be enticed to gonzo blog the Olympicon but damn I'd want something out of it. Like cold hard cash and an all-access shitshow pass. Trying to sell the rest of my tix so I can get a road trip on. Already made 175% profit
    Make hay when the sun shines, or the snow-show-shits in this case!

If no one else steps up I nominate YOU to Hunter-Thompson us a report right until you head out the quite side of the highway for the territory ahead. Your first TR was great. More please!

Any mags 2cd the motion?
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "and then they ate the acid" HST fear and loathing in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Make hay when the sun shines, or the snow-show-shits in this case!

If no one else steps up I nominate YOU to Hunter-Thompson us a report right until you head out the quite side of the highway for the territory ahead. Your first TR was great. More please!

Any mags 2cd the motion?
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "and then they ate the acid" HST fear and loathing in Las Vegas
    as your lawyer, I second that....oh wait, I'm not a lawyer....but I am unemployed and have lots of time to get fucked up and post rambling shit if someone wants to hook me up.......

gunit130 Guest
    pics?

when isn't Whistler a shitshow on the weekend?
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

and volunteers who have been living out of their uniforms for at least 6 days and who flaunt their big pic passes like it means something.
    Wait a minute, I have one of those! You mean to say that wearing it to the bar doesn't make me cool?

You're spot on about the buses .. I saw the Squamish commuter making a three-point turn at McKeevers in Alpine yesterday, the people on the bus did not look overly impressed.

I think that getting to the mountain on a powder day is going to be the most epic gong show ever encountered, but as everyone else is saying, for those that make it it will be gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I'm sure having the Olympics is going to suck from a small town aspect but the money must be great if you own a business or work in the service industry. You figure you should clear 10k if you are a bartender. I would stay, sell my tickets, work/drink my face, hook up with foreign cougars, and then bail the following week to Nicaragua to surf and sit on the beach for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    I'm sure having the Olympics is going to suck from a small town aspect but the money must be great if you own a business or work in the service industry. You figure you should clear 10k if you are a bartender. I would stay, sell my tickets, work/drink my face, hook up with foreign cougars, and then bail the following week to Nicaragua to surf and sit on the beach for a week.
    #1 winning plan, just keep hockey tickets!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Wait a minute, I have one of those! You mean to say that wearing it to the bar doesn't make me cool?
    Only if you wear the pass -- and nothing else.

I believe there's a beer & nachos waiting for me, so it would make a fine opportunity to test out this hypothesis. GLC?
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats