Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I just checked a couple of my pairs of binders and came up with the same delta for Tyrolia RF14's (3mm), but got a different value for Loox PX12Ti lifters (6.5-7mm).

I used calipers to measure but it was on fatter skis so I had to eyeball the under side of my boots to get the measurements. And I didn't measure from the very front or very back of my boots because they have a small upward bevel built in to the sole. Instead, I measured from the front-most flat section of boot to the rear-most flat section of boot.

Side question: does anyone think that different binding deltas are more suited to different mount locations? I.e. is a flatter/lower delta better with a more centre mount, and a steeper/higher delta better for a more rearward mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I just checked a couple of my pairs of binders and came up with the same delta for Tyrolia RF14's (3mm), but got a different value for Loox PX12Ti lifters (6.5-7mm).
    Good call. I remeasured mine and I'm getting more like 7mm. I'll update.

Yes, you definitely have to measure from the flat part of the boot. I measure the toe at the AFD, and the heel at wherever the bevel stops.

Keep in mind that toe thickness is not constant, so different boots will have more or less space under the toe on non-adjustable bindings (e.g. everyone but Salomons and Dukes).

I would be very interested to learn the delta of salomons, dynafits, and fritschis. I have tweaked the angles of my bindings other than the dynafits so my measurements wouldn't be worth anything (and I don't have calipers).

Considering adding the 4-5mm shim under my wife's Fritschis for the same reason I've done it on mine, but so far I have resisted.

Anyone else ever shim one side of their bindings to make the ski perfectly flat under foot and not rocked to one side or the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

I removed the plastic spacer on the toe piece when I had Fritschi's. Added a few mm of forward delta. I had to shorted the screws with a dremell before re-installation.

Quote Originally Posted by gunniride View Post
    Anyone else ever shim one side of their bindings to make the ski perfectly flat under foot and not rocked to one side or the other?
    They used to make those as a predrilled plastic part for popular bindings in the 1980s...they were called "cant plates". I have a pair with Salomon hole pattern sitting in the closet (they're much too extreme for me).

These days people generally try to plane boot soles instead, because it works with all your skis and you don't end up with a left and right ski...and you can fake it a little bit with boot cuff tilt adjustments at the ankle (often incorrectly called "canting"), which didn't exist back then.

Added measurements for Salomon S900, and another for Marker Duke with a newer boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Another tidbit: assuming 55cm from knee to bottom of boot, this means your knee will move approximately 9.4mm forward for every degree of ramp angle in the binding.

If you can tell a 1cm difference in mounting point, you can probably tell a 1 degree difference in ramp angle.
    Now we're talking. If I want my knee more forward over my toe, (stiff ankles!) increasing ramp angle help driving the knee forward and down?

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Now we're talking. If I want my knee more forward over my toe, (stiff ankles!) increasing ramp angle help driving the knee forward and down?
    Yes. Increasing the forward lean on your boot (if it has an adjuster) can also do this -- but unless you also increase the ramp angle *inside* the boot (with heel lifts), your stiff ankles may not like the result.

Bumping an old thread - hoping to get consolidated data on the most popular modern bindings.
    Yes, its a nerdy tech thread. But, its a great resource when you are thinking about getting a different binding and want to know if it skis just like your old reliable bindings.
    Or why you hated a ski when it might really have been the binding delta.

Wildsnow has a ton of data on touring bindings
    https://www.wildsnow.com/10733/get-u...for-your-ramp/

He says you want the same ramp angle on touring and alpine gear, but he has no data on delta's for alpine bindings

Plum Guide 17.86
    Dynafit Vertical ST 16.74
    Trab TR2 2015 16
    Dynafit Comfort 15.82
    Dynafit Radical 15.16
    Dynaift Radical 2 ST 15
    Dynafit Speed Rad 14.3
    G3 ION 13
    G3 ION LT 13
    Dynafit TLT 12.2
    G3 Onyx 12
    Diamir Vipec 10
    Salomon Mtn w/ brake 10
    Atomic Backland 10
    Marker Kingpin 2015 9.7
    Dynafit Beast 16-14 8
    Dynafit Superlite 2 7
    Fritschi Freeride 2014 5
    Gignoux Ultimate 2 5
    Atomic Backland LT 5
    . . .

Found some data from some random internet dude.

Is it true that binding manufacturers have different delta philosphies? e.g. salomon is flatter than look?

Quote Originally Posted by The Piste Office
    http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/...ta-angles.html
    Here's the binding delta angles for the different binding manufacturers:
    Marker Duke/Baron/Tour

Marker Duke/Baron/Tour 0mm (with alpine boots)
    Marker Duke/Baron/Tour 6mm (with AT boots)

Atomic 2mm
    Salomon 2mm
    Head/Tyrolia/Fischer 3mm
    Marker Jester/Griffon 4mm
    Look/Rossi/VIST 5mm
    Look/Rossi Pivot/FKS 5mm (only flat with their 5mm toe shims)

Dynafit Radical Speed/ST/FT 15mm (with Vulcan/Mercury boot)
    Dynafit Radical ST/FT 12mm (with Tecnica Cochise boot)
    Dynafit Beast 16 6mm (with Vulcan/Mercury boot)
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Found some data from some random internet dude.
    Your 'random internet dude' is SpyderJon - he posts good stuff here on Tech Talk.

I added 3/16 shims under the toes of my Kingpins. They ski way better than they did with the significant amount of Delta/Ramp angle or whatever you want to call it.

I always wondered why guys on traditional touring setups...dynafit etc skied with their asses hanging out until I got on a pair and started shimming the toes to get back to neutral.

Anyone know the delta on the STH? (not STH2).
    I'm looking for a STH vs FKS delta difference.

Looks like the FKS is:: "Look/Rossi Pivot/FKS 5mm (only flat with their 5mm toe shims)"
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Anyone know the delta on the STH? (not STH2).
    I'm looking for a STH vs FKS delta difference.

Looks like the FKS is:: "Look/Rossi Pivot/FKS 5mm (only flat with their 5mm toe shims)"
    Think STH and 2 are 2mm.