Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    LittleYellowFriend Guest
    Why would he need a shovel or probe if he doesn't have a partner? Duh???

The thing that I've noticed, especially since the "partner recommended" policy is that a lot of newbies go up there and think they'll just figure it out as they go.

Personally I never really had anybody that I was good friends with to show me around up there when I started skiing the ridge but people were cool with you just tagging along and I've made quite a few good friends by just randomly seeing the same person every day. Now this mentality of "this run is mine and I'm never showing any body else" discourages would be rippers from ever getting the experience to enjoy this amazing mountain.

Granted there is a completely stereotypical 'look' to some one who has no fucking clue and someone who genuinely wants to rip a new line.

I do see myself believing in a bit of karma though, so when I see some fresh meat freshman who is skiing up there for the first time I feel a bit of duty to pass on at least one good standby.

edit: this doesn't really apply to your situation since I wouldn't be caught OB with some kid who didn't have a shovel/probe unless it was safe enough that I would have taken the run solo.

LittleYellowFriend Guest
    Hmmm. It says partner and shovel are recommended. Transceiver is the only thing that is required. Looks like you are the one being an ass!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleYellowFriend View Post
    Hmmm. It says partner and shovel are recommended. Transceiver is the only thing that is required. Looks like you are the one being an ass!

Well that may be true for IN BOUNDS but with an open boundary they just hike out and have no idea what the hell they're doing (which is what this snowboarder kid did).

Just outrun them and don't look back.

I like how on the trail map a single diamond is MOST DIFFICULT while a DOUBLE diamond is EXPERT ONLY. If a single is most difficult what does that make a double diamond (difficulty wise that is). Definite flaw in logic.

Shit policy doesn't excuse irresponsibility. When he breaks the cornice off on top of someone and only has his board to dig them up, I suspect the policy would change.
    Stay left.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    People DO seem to be micturating in odd and increasingly public locations up there lately.
    The chinaman who peed on my bootpack, I can't go give him a bill, so what the fuck are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    The chinaman who peed on my bootpack, I can't go give him a bill, so what the fuck are you talking about?
    That bootpack really tied the line together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

"Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

it'd be weird to be just arriving to bb w/slshmns lift, no OB rules etc...
    took me prob 5yrs there to even really know what "slushmans" named- OB then of course
    having all that new terrain really adds to what alot of us already knew- the ridge...

those arrivng now have no incentive to learn anything on the ridge cuz its a longer hike and they only need to do it when the slshmn lift aint open...

its kinda euro style now, on your own buddy, best get it right...

6million ways2die- choose1

my response to this is read the rant and map thoroughly to know what went down. ie the whole out of bounds/not bridger ski patrols problem. but now somehow there is an unprepared bro tagging along and becoming my moral dilemma. if shit happens and i am in vicinity now its my problem and not his nonexisting partner's.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyskir05 View Post
    The thing that I've noticed, especially since the "partner recommended" policy is that a lot of newbies go up there and think they'll just figure it out as they go.

Personally I never really had anybody that I was good friends with to show me around up there when I started skiing the ridge but people were cool with you just tagging along and I've made quite a few good friends by just randomly seeing the same person every day. Now this mentality of "this run is mine and I'm never showing any body else" discourages would be rippers from ever getting the experience to enjoy this amazing mountain.

Granted there is a completely stereotypical 'look' to some one who has no fucking clue and someone who genuinely wants to rip a new line.

I do see myself believing in a bit of karma though, so when I see some fresh meat freshman who is skiing up there for the first time I feel a bit of duty to pass on at least one good standby.

edit: this doesn't really apply to your situation since I wouldn't be caught OB with some kid who didn't have a shovel/probe unless it was safe enough that I would have taken the run solo.
    to this i have to say that when i first started riding at bridger i stood for sometimes 30-45 minutes waiting for a friend or someone willing to take the dumbass(me) in clicker bindings and columbia coat. (ten yrs ago) i went thru the ritual. once i got comfortable enough if there was a "newbie" or "freshman" standing there i would totally invite them to join. i can actually say i never said to someone asking to join me or my buddies. "sorry we are going to go ski our secret gnarly stash." fact is one of the guys with me yesterday (who had all of the gear necessary for the out) got to ski something totally new to him.

Why would he need a shovel or probe if he doesn't have a partner? Duh???
    To dig ME out after HE drops in above Me and buries ME!

(LYF... that was the dumbest comment of the day!) This is the skiers forum, not "polly asshat!"
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Weird fkn policy-Darwin Award to Bridger Bowl

I don't understand giving a freeride with a pass and listing it as the only requirement to go through a gate. If Bridger wants to find bodies why don't they just require a RECCO REFLECTOR. I would have thought there would be smart people making these sorts of policy decisions at Bridger Bowl. This policy seems to just up the risk for everyone from the Jong to those around him. If someone dies out there as a result of this, then whoever came up with the policy should receive the Darwin Award.

Thanks for the vocabulary NWFlow (apt screen name):
    People DO seem to be micturating in odd and increasingly public

This hysteria is laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

It's a ski area. What the fuck do you expect. The OP's rant is a lost cause. I can think of a few different zones to go ski where you will never have to worry about being followed or someone dropping in on you. None of them are in the Bridgers.

Welcome to the brave new world of over-hyped super mega extremo backcountry skiing, where pert near everyone out there is a transplant from fagville. Who spends a couple of years in the mountains and then they think they are different than the new wanna be extremo dude that showed up yesterday. Hilarious.

One thing I've noticed in riding BB for 30 plus years is that the attitude of "ridge ownership mentality" seems to be the 20 to 28 year old dudes (and some splittails to a lesser degree) who have cool stickers on their helmets and duct tape on their Cloudveil's. Same ones who fall over each other to get to the Slushy lift when it opens. They either mellow with age or move on, but there always seem to get a new crop the next year. Big Sky has the same thing going on at the tram. Prolly never thought to tell the kid he was doing it wrong. If he gets buried,burys you or your mates, your in the game, so why not help him? Unless its the pants thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgersurfer View Post
    You didn't really read all that did you....

Welcome to the board jong... don't take yourself too seriously.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    i laughed

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Prolly never thought to tell the kid he was doing it wrong. If he gets buried,burys you or your mates, your in the game, so why not help him?
    I'll tell you why. Because I wouldn't trust the folks who get hysterical in here to keep cool heads in adverse conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Welcome to the brave new world of over-hyped super mega extremo backcountry skiing, where pert near everyone out there is a transplant from fagville. Who spends a couple of years in the mountains and then they think they are different than the new wanna be extremo dude that showed up yesterday. Hilarious.
    AWESOME!!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post

Quote Originally Posted by snowful View Post
    I'll tell you why. Because I wouldn't trust the folks who get {hysterical} in here to keep cool heads in adverse conditions.
    Ummmmmmmm,ok

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    shit used to bother me I think I felt like the time my partners and I spent doing beacon drills and refining snow safety skills made us more entitled to be there, but now I worry more about being good partner to my crew and fuck the rest. The one thing I've learned and remember is no matter how "safe" you are it's only a matter of time before the shit hits the fan in some manner.
    When the shit does hit the proverbial fan it is too late to learn or go back get things that can make the situation better.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno