Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The new carbon/glass 183 Bro

Or is it now the OM Model?

This year, we took back production of the 183s. Had them made in Italy before. Now, they're made in the US of FKNA. We're gonna show those Italian guys how it's done; two full layers each of carbon fiber and glass on an aspen/poplar core with DoreTech and a touch of schwaaank. To top it off, we're gonna go right ahead and be dicks and protest skis made in China through our symbolic use of our trademarked Tibetan OM symbol in place of the BRO. By expressing our love of Tibet, we are automatically opposed to the Chinese oppression of Tibet. We just finished them up, they get ground tomorrow, then they will head for the UK and Japan. I love it when the first pair of a new model comes out this nice. It's like having our own SIA show right in our own little shop. Makes me feel like Geppetto in Pinocchio.

The tip looks a little bigger than it really is due to the perspective.
    They're still 125-99-114

This is the tip rise profile. A little longer than the originals.
    The ski in the foreground still has it's protective force field engaged, so it looks little blurrry.

This is the tail profile.
    That's actually a protective film on the close one that has been peeled off the other ski.

These are the bases with a rough belt sand.
    They'll get 16 passes on a stone tomorrow, wax and a buff.
    They'll be all shiny.

This is the last thing you will see before you die.
    If you're a snowflake, that is.

The Splatulas are not too far off....need to get them done soon.

I just dropped that pair off to get stoneground and weighed one of the skis on a bike scale at the shop. Get this - 3pounds, 2 ounces.
    Even if that scale is off by an ounce or two, that is mighty damn low weight for a ski with two layers of glass, two layers of carbon and metal tip and tail.
    fkna, was I blown away.

I'm going to say it will absorb vibration, just like the glass layer does. This is not a pure carbon ski, even though it has full layers to lighten the weight and provide stiffness and liveliness. To use an analogy based on a car's suspension; the carbon acts like the spring. And the fiberglass acts like the shock absorber. Since vibration resonates, the metal should absorb and dull vibrations beyond the frequencies that resonate in the glass, carbon and wood. Any enginerds that want to argue otherwise, feel free to jump in.

This is the technology that will be PM Gear's trademark on every model. But like I said, being Geppetto in a little one horse shop, changes can't happen fast enough. Cause the horse gets tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Splat, have you sussed out a mounting mark or haven't the guys in the shop started throwing the darts yet?
    A stray dog sneaked in the shop while they were on the floor.
    The minute he hiked his leg up and pissed on them, I said, "Mark that spot!"

We're actually marking them based on the EuroBro 183 line at an additional .5 cm toward the tips.

Flex is very much like the old 183, but I like ours better. We kept fairly true to the old 183, especially on the sidecut. But we spruced it up into, as wickedsick said, V2.0. Here's some shots of that very first pair after the bases got shinified. They are on their way to spyderjon now. Also a pic of the more Lhasa-ish tip curve butted up to an old 183. Doesn't show too well in the bottom pic, but it does extend back a bit further. Tip height is on the money. Kudos to StroupSkier for nailing the press assembly on this ski right out of the gate.

Looks like we pressed one or two pair extra of these in this most recent batch.
    Finished in about a week.

We're going to go with a universal single flex and it's on the stiff side.
    Like I said, I like our flex better than the flex on the EuroBros, which was very stiff.
    This flex is smooooove.

Skis only. Clothing was taken. That looks like the Nike 60 mark. It's fugly.

Prolly not until next season. 179s are pressed and in the process for finishing with regular tops. Since the 183s were previously made in Italy, we had to print a new top for them.

We've tried a number of different thicknesses to make the pressing and finishing go smoother, hutash. We found bases that were 1.2 mm thick were too thin. We typcially use 1.3 mm thick base. The new bases run 1.4 and we only remove the epoxy on the edges and base before sending them to get stoneground. So, how are they? That opinion will be from guys like you, as the very first pair just landed in the UK and are on their way to Japan Saturday. I think the extra thickness (in this biz, .2 of a mm is a good thickening for a base) will add to the durability and longevity of the base. We were going to get some clear base and print on it, like everyone else does, but decided on the old school die cuts in this material, as the clear base was only 1.2 mm thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Skis arrived yesterday & the pics above don't do them justice. Burgundy base colour is money. Base grind/prep is excellent being very flat & smooth with good structure.

And on my digital postal scales which are bang on the pair weigh in at 3546g /7lb 13 oz
    Thanks, Spyderjon!
    I about shat myself when the bike scale at the shop said 3 lb., 2 oz.
    3 lbs, 14.5 oz. per ski sounds much better.

I'm mounting them up as soon as I get the rest of the orders out for some on snow testing cause sfb is going all apeshit crazy about them over in UT.
    Once some others and I have some real time skiing them, I'll see if any adjustments need made and we'll be cranking them out.
    Same full layers of carbon and glass, doretech and all the goodies the rest of the Bros now have.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on a pair of 191 Lhasa's from stroupskier in Gear swap.
    Beyond stoked, FKNA!
    Those come with a full warranty, just to give ya some more warm fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Because there's no BRO dealer round here, I've no way to compare them. Any dealers out there want to ship some demos up here for me and my buddies to check out?

I'll make a call and see if our distribution center in Leningrad has an extra pair of demos they can fly out to you.
    [/sarcasm font]

Sorry to bring you up to speed without a cushion, Gary, but, we're internet only.

And real small.

Meet you halfway?
    How bout you guys trip down to Vancouver Island and demo some from vanisle?
    That effort would add a touch of true sincerity to your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    splat,

these look sick. weight wise, they look like a great touring ski (especially east coast, tight trees). any chance you'd have some available 1st week of april in tahoe for a few laps?

thanks.
    There's always a chance. Hit the mammoth mini and there'll be a real good chance.

It's not rockered enough to really be very noticeable. The sidecut isn't hanging up far enough off the snow to get hooky and will fully engage as the ski flexes, probably when you stand on it. It's just a touch longer rise that won't sacrifice ice/hardpack edgehold, but will enhance crud/crust busting capabilities as well as float. Before the Lhasas, the 183 was the hottest selling ski in our quiver of one ski quivers. The 183 has our old standard one ski quiver dim of 125-99-114 for a ski that handles every condition well enough to get you out of a pickle. Cause you're skiing. You're always going to get in a pickle.

Those dims fit the 183 really well. The sidecut is friendly and fierce on the 183. People love that ski. That's why the V 2.0 upgrade had to be slight, but right. I know you'll let me know if you agree. or not.

Anyone who's gotten the new 183 got any feedback???

Just waiting on the full batch of topsheets. Only ordered a few for starters and the rest are coming soon. Bases and cores are ready to go. Hope to be pressing them by late next week.

So....how'd the Lhasas do, Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by BestofShow View Post
    A sick ski that just keeps improving. Nice job Splat!

I like the rough style topsheet on last year's 183's. Will that ever come back, or does that make them a limited edition?
    As cool as that topsheet was, it had a habit of collecting snow and making skin trips a bit more work.
    We've made skinning the 183 a piece of cake now with the carbon and smoove nylon tops.

Thanks, Zepp. Interested in hearing a lot more from you.
    Pressure and flex them hard into a turn for the rebound pop to kick in.

Got a pic that's bigger than a matchbook, Ryan???

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBound View Post
    Splat, these still available? being the gaper I am, I couldn't find them listed. Link?
    Yes, they're available again quite soon. We're just knocking out the 192s and 196s, then on to the 183s. We've been busy enough that the website has neither had the 191s nor the new 183s posted. Waiting on a product shot to put up on the site for the 183s, since they should be the hot ticket for spring. The 191s were popular enough amongst maggots to not even open them up for availability on the site this year.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Splat, I assume you guys are going to put this same lay-up into your 191, correct?

Actually, we put it in the 191 since the get go and then put it in the 183.

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    Sorry this wayyy OT but I just had to repeat just-sent email to pmgear re. my purchase of Superbro 195s for an insanely low JONG-reduced price, wonderful service by these folks:

"Hey Pat, they just got here. I can't get it open them for inspection for an hour, but just wanted to tell you the good news. My wife just got the package.
    Please ignore my last email.
    I also want to say that I love you, but in only a partially gay way.
    Sam"

I'm in JH right now and not getting email, so I won't see it for a couple days.
    We shipped a lot of skis last week, but I have no tracking numbers with me and no email on my dilapidated laptop.