Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That picture is unnecessarily large.
    Yeah, it's really odd, it screws up my whole browser window, I'll delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    MMA guy doesn't get close.
    You're giving way too little credit to the power of the boxer's punches. Boxers hit with HUGE gloves on. You let them hit basically barehanded like and MMA fighter and goodnight Irene. I've seen Joe Frazier's hands. Nobody could get hit with his fist and still be awake. They are like bricks. Watch how fast a boxers hands are...and take away the gloves.
    Remember Rampage's knock out of Lidell? That was one lame boxing punch that wouldn't have done shit to Frazier, Ali, Foreman, Mayweather...etc. In MMA it was "devastating"

Sorry...best boxer beats best MMA fighter IMO. Hands are too fast and powerful for the MMA guy to close the gap without getting tagged.
    I know I am responding despite my claim that this isn't even worth the binary code necessary, but...lionel, what you are referring to is a "puncher's chance." This applies even when MMA athlete fights MMA athlete. Sure one solid shot takes nearly any man down, but that shot has to occur. 1) If the situation goes so far as to assume the MMA fighter knows who they are fighting (a legendary or prominent boxer), you won't even see more than a punch from th mma guy. Just a move and then a shoot to get the guy down. Then any trained boxer will be lucky to keep all the tendons in his extremities, 2) your conclusion is based upon a knowledge of boxing but a likely misunderstanding of MMA. There is a reason why Royce Gracie at the inception of MMA, was able to do what he did to people despite being 70 lbs lighter (recall that early MMA pitted discipline against discipline and was thus not truly MMA--boxer fought karate, krav maga fought judo, etc). Some standing fights never end. Most ground fights conclude prior to the bell.

This just isnt even a question. Now I am done

top UFC fighter would get somewhere around 78" close
    holy fucking shitballs

I realize not everyone is a fan of MMA, and the comprehension of the sport is minimal to some. But please try not to sound like dumb fucking JONGS by acting like a one dimensional fight game like boxing leads to superior fighters over top tier mixed martial artists. It's just a fact that a well rounded MMA fighter has more tools in their toolbox to win fights.

Granted any fighter that try's to stand and bang with a elite boxer is an idiot. But most boxers wouldn't have the ability to fend off a strong takedown attempt. Though ther is always the "punchers chance". Also factor in leg kicks and shit like that.

Here's a fun video of Ray Mercer fighting in K-1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXkcYul1LRo"]YouTube- Ray Mercer Vs Remy Bonjasky[/ame]
    Training for Alpental

More boxer fun
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy9xOyNDCoM"]YouTube- Kaoklai vs. Mighty Mo[/ame]

And I have seen it many times over in my years involved in kickboxing. This isn't MMA either, where boxers have even less of a chance.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Boxers train with too many rules. Same with alot of martial art's. A street fight is something totally different.

Rope a dope would end in ALi being bent in direction shis limbs were not meant to be.

This is a ridiculous question.

It's like asking who would win in a boxing match, Ali or an MMA fighter.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

I think maybe Ali is a bad example.

How bout BJ Penn vs Bruce Lee? They would probably have been close in weight, I'd guess penn would be heavier.

I don't think Penn would make it close enough to bring down Lee. I think he'd get knocked the fuck out before he knew what happened. Even if he did get close, I think Lee would probably be able to defend from takedowns fairly well. He was just so damn quick and nimble I just cannot see him getting taken down very easily. Even if he did get taken down, I would still not want to be punched by a grounded Bruce Lee even if he didn't know how to wrestle. I think he could knock out most wrestlers even AFTER they went to the ground. I think the famous "one inch punch" would be very effective in grappling.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

If movies have taught me anything over the years, I'll take the boxer.

Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think he could knock out most wrestlers even AFTER they went to the ground. I think the famous "one inch punch" would be very effective in grappling.
    The "one inch punch" requires that you are on your feet and grounded, even if for a split second while power in generated and delivered. Similar body mechanics can, and are applied on the ground to develope power but it's not the same thing as the OIP since there is no 'root' or horse to work from.

That being said, Lee was freakishly strong and I wouldn't have wanted to take a punch from him on the ground or standing up.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Hmm, yeah, if Ali got grabbed up in a leg take down and ended up in guard on his back... What's he gonna do? cover up and get pounded.
    Worked in Zaire....

Last edited by irul&ublo; 02-01-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

nomensteven Guest

Not saying Art Jimmerson is the best boxer of all time, but he was a golden gloves champion and MMA fighters have improved a lot since Royce's time.

BSS Guest
    Vern: You think Mighty Mouse could beat up Superman?

Teddy: What are you, cracked?

Vern: Why not?! I saw the other day he was carrying five elephants in one hand!

Teddy: You don't know nothin'. Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman is a real guy. No way a cartoon could beat up a real guy.

Vern: Yeah, maybe you're right........ Would be a good fight though!

Teddy:

Enough has changed in 30+ years that its likely that Ali wouldn't even be able to stand toe to toe with a current HW boxer. Size, training technics, strength, ect has all advanced tremendously. Not to mention that they are considerably different sports. Jordan couldn't hit a baseball....
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

I read in Yahoo answers that Batman could indeed take Superman. Apparently Batman, or Bruce Wayne if you will, had contingency plans for EVERYTHING, including Superman "going rogue". As such, he had prepared a weapon that fired cryptonite bullets. In fact, accoring to Superman, Batman was the "most dangerous man on earth" and he didn't even have any super-powers. Go figure.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Yeah, but who would win between a high school MMA team and the UConn women's basketball team?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, but who would win between a high school MMA team and the UConn women's basketball team?
    Depends what the contest was. UConn would win a cunnilingus match

Herschel Walker was on the US bobsledding team??? If he were 15 years younger, he would dominate UFC.

MMA guy gets Ali to the floor, and it's good night nurse. Those guys learn submission wrestling moves that will break bones or separate appendages from their joints quickly.

Ali catches the guy a couple times before he gets to Alis body, and it may be Alis fight.

Ali sparred a kick boxer or some type of martial arts guys late in his post World Champ days. The guy went to his back immediately and kicked the shit out of Ali's legs. Ali never could land a punch as I remember it.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Herschel Walker was on the US bobsledding team??? If he were 15 years younger, he would dominate UFC.
    Herschel was on ESPN Radio the other day. Said he couild still run a 4.35-4.4 40. I sort of doubt that, but it looks like he trained hard.

This whole page is fucking stoopid because you're all accepting the premise that Ali comes to the fight as a sitting duck /stationary target from the past. And if that's the case then not only would he would lose to even lightweights in MMA, but nearly every BOXER today as well. But Ali is not a sitting duck, never was one, and never will be. Ali is one of the greatest champions in all of sports. Champions are champions because they rise above and that single thing is what Ali was best at; that's the essence of Ali and his ability to rise above is his greatest weapon. He's PROVEN this so many times to doubt him now is just dumb. The only MMA guy in Ali's league in this respect is Fedor imo...maybe Couture.

Quote Originally Posted by high-C View Post
    This whole page is fucking stoopid because you're all accepting the premise that Ali comes to the fight as a sitting duck /stationary target from the past. And if that's the case then not only would he would lose to even lightweights in MMA, but nearly every BOXER today as well. But Ali is not a sitting duck, never was one, and never will be. Ali is one of the greatest champions in all of sports. Champions are champions because they rise above and that single thing is what Ali was best at; that's the essence of Ali and his ability to rise above is his greatest weapon. He's PROVEN this so many times to doubt him now is just dumb. The only MMA guy in Ali's league in this respect is Fedor imo...maybe Couture.
    It takes most of us hundreds or thousands of posts to show our stupidity. You're an overachiever by making it happen in 11. Nice Job!!
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Ground game over boxing in a street or cage fight, any day. It's no coincidence that the following names in MMA are also very accomplished amateur wrestlers: Brock Lesner, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Quinton Jackson, Dan Henderson, Matt Hughes, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, Diego Sanchez, Rashad Evans, Tito Ortiz, Clay Guida, Keith Jardine, Roger Huerta, Jake O'Brien, Frankie Edgar, Matt Hamill, Brandon Vera, Gray Maynard, Corey Hill, Matt Grice and others. I'm not going to go into jujitsu and judo, cause the list of MMA champions only gets longer, and at this point, there's no need to reinforce my conclusion.

Anyone still advocated that boxers would win is welcome to present equally weighted evidence on success boxers in street style of fighting.

And to clarify, I'm not referring to Lesnar as a pro wrestler. He was 106-5 and a Division I national champion in his collegiate career.

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    It takes most of us hundreds or thousands of posts to show our stupidity. You're an overachiever by making it happen in 11. Nice Job!!
    Hey thanks ! Wait 'til I really get going !

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Ground game over boxing in a street or cage fight, any day.
    I wouldn't always say that that is always true. In my senior year in high school, I got in a fight with the number 1 wrestler in the state. I was a lot stronger than him, but I had no fighting experience/training. I proceeded to kick his ass, as he was so disoriented from actually getting punched that he had trouble doing the moves that he had practiced over and over for years.
    Aside from this, you all have helped me somewhat change my mind (especially from those videos). However, I still think you all are downplaying what a punch from a heavyweight professional boxer without gloves on will do to someone
    I gots the jacket with the blue fox fur