Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1441
    Just picked up a pair of new 190 hybrids on a whim, and after fondling them have a few observations:

- If you lay them next to a L138, the 112 "paddle" tip really isn't really any taller. (The 112 tip is a bit higher than my old L138 R2's, but newer 138's have a lot more tip rocker.) It's as if DPS took a L138, clamped the tip and tail in place, and rolled the running length out toward the ends a bit, then whacked out some sidecut in the middle.

- I can see why a +1 mount is popular, if you line the 112 up with the 138 R2 by overall length, +1 on the 112 matches the midsole mark on the 138.

- The ski is thicker than I expected (a lot thicker than my 183 Bro Fat hybrid) and is by no means a noodle. For 200 lbs+ guys sure, it's probably on the softer side, but for us smaller guys (5'9"/165) the 190 looks like plenty of ski and is probably a lot more stable/less turny than it is for someone heavier.

Considering my ridiculous quiver overlap, a few pair of something has got to go...lol.

Dear Collective Wisdom,

I'm rapidly approaching a decision to buy the Wailer 112rp hybrid, but not entirely sure what length would suit me.

I am 145pounds/65kg and ~6feet/185cm. Advanced skier looking to spend the next couple of seasons in Niseko, Hokkaido (where powder is plentiful).

Any recommendations based on personal experience would be much appreciated!

Haven't skied the 112 yet, but at your weight the 184 is probably the way to go. IMHO height is much less of a consideration, since weight is what's going to flex the ski into an arc and affect how a particular ski works for you. I've had skis that are too stiff for my weight and skill level, and they're no fun - they just want to go straight (unless that's what you're looking for). Ski designers assume a long ski will be used by a heavier rider, so if you want a "long" ski for your height (for extra stability or float), get something considered "soft" by target weight skiers.

Thanks for the feedback, 1000-oaks.

I completely agree that weight is a crucial factor in deciding length of a ski and that stifness of the ski needs to be considered.

What confused me is that, based on my stats, DPS recommended me buying the 168cm which strikes me as being way too short - the choice in my mind, however, is between the 178 or 184.

I guess my question to people who've tried them is; given your expreience, what would you buy if you had my stats (65kg/145pound)?

ski length is correlated to desired turn shape and energy required to bend the ski.

do you like to make a tight small radius turns in technical terrain, and ski with a finesse style, then 178

if you cross over between tight and open terrain and like to ski with a relaxed style, then 184.

at your height, if you ski a lot of open terrain and make bigger turns, and prefer to slide and drift the skis in tight spots, and a physically strong wiry person, then i don't see a 190 being "too much".
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by r4ndomname View Post
    Dear Collective Wisdom,

I'm rapidly approaching a decision to buy the Wailer 112rp hybrid, but not entirely sure what length would suit me.

I am 145pounds/65kg and ~6feet/185cm. Advanced skier looking to spend the next couple of seasons in Niseko, Hokkaido (where powder is plentiful).

Any recommendations based on personal experience would be much appreciated!
    I'm your weight, shorter, athletic and strong, flowy thready type of skier, frequently in powder and trees in Japan. I skied the 184 a lot and seldom with any problems at all. I'd recommend the 184.
    Life is not lift served.

Thanks for the advice. 184 it is (:

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ski length is correlated to desired turn shape and energy required to bend, a physically strong wiry person, i don't see a 190 being "too much".

my sentiment as well for this ski
    b

, I am probally just paranoid, but this will eat me.

Can someone tell me how much camber the 184 CM 112RP has?

I moved a while ago and I left my wailers straped tight in the center. It looks like they have just tiny bit of camber now. Just a bit over 1MM. Doubt I lost camber, but it looks soo small.

That sounds about right.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    That sounds about right.
    Thanks for checking

Long time lurker but infrequent poster - curious for some input.
    First cat trip scheduled for the end of Feb - Baldface Lodge outside of Nelson. Needless to say...pumped.

I own a pair of 184" 112rp's, pure 3 construction (I'm 5'8", 170 lbs). This enough ski for trip? Baldface has a pretty extensive fleet for rentals, but I don't mind traveling with the boards. I'm an east coaster - competent enough in powder, but it's been a while (and an entire revolution in technology) since I've been in anything deeper than 18" or so. Curious for some thoughts.

I'm your size, and since this sounds like your first modern ski
    (say, first ski in the last 5-10 years?)

I think you'll be fine/totally set with the wailer 112rp.

It's known/is a great tree ski (fast turning/pivoting) with tip and tail rocker.

Seems also like pure 3 is a more stout ski compared to the previous pures, so you should have even better performance in open terrain (if you get to ski in the alpine).

I wouldn't necessarily go out now and buy a new fatter ski...

Your trip sounds like a great opportunity to get your wailers dialed.

Depending on how long you are out there, you could always try out one of their fatter demos...

There is so much out there these days, it's best to ski a lot of different skis until you find what you like.

For now, the pure 3 wailer sounds like a great place to start.

CAMBER QUESTION FOR PURE3 (13/14) vs PURE (10/11-12/13)

Out of curiousity, how much camber is on your pair of 184 wailer 112rp's in the pure 3.
    My pair has 7 mm camber for both skis put base to base in neutral position.
    That would be almost 3.5 mm per ski.

For comparison, my wailer 112rp pure 190 from 3 years ago have 6 mm camber total.
    3 mm per ski.
    Aggressive in my own mind

hoarhey
    Thanks for the reply!
    My comment about "revolution in technology" was more along the lines of: the last time I skied in deep snow was with Telluride Helitrax, circa 1999 - a lot has changed since then. I don't remember what I was on, but they were gigantic. I have a decent quiver - my daily ski is a 169 Wagner - a bullet proof Vermont ski that absolutely rips. I have a pair on Bonafides when I want to travel with only one ski and need something versatile.

I have three days slotted. I think they have a pretty full complement, so yeah - I can easily try something different, was just hoping to get a gauge of whether I'd be comically out of my depth if I brought the 112's - sounds like they have enough chops to not get myself into too much trouble.

Unfortunately I'm typing from the 22nd floor in NYC - all of my stuff is in Vermont, so won't have a chance to help out on your question until this weekend.

If you were on "fat skis" back in 1999, I doubt that many, if any, skis were 112 mm wide.

I think powder plus's are 110 mm.

I took a forced hiatus from skiing between 1995-2001 due to work (foreign assignments), so when I cam back in 2001/2002. 84 underfoot was a big deal, 90 mm pocket rockets were phat. they were sugar daddy's at 99 and big daddy's at 110.

Anyway, you get the point. You'll be fine on your trip.
    Aggressive in my own mind

From memory they were fat enough to be mounted off center - but its entirely possible I'm making that up

Yeah, I took an equipment hiatus as well while living in NC (2002-2011) - and when I came back things had change dramatically.

Thanks again for the feedback --

Anyone spend any time with next year's redesigned 112? I just saw a blurb on the Utah Outside website that said:

"The Wailer 112RP will have a new look next season with the Wailer 112RP.2 These second-generation sticks are a total reboot as it will have lower tip and tail rocker profile to increase stability in mixed snow. DPS says it will have a larger sweet spot and will include a women’s version in the Yvette 112RP.2."

Sounds interesting. Anyone know anything more? Marshall?
    Are we part of the solution, or are we part of the pollution? -M.F.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Anyone spend any time with next year's redesigned 112? I just saw a blurb on the Utah Outside website that said:

"The Wailer 112RP will have a new look next season with the Wailer 112RP.2 These second-generation sticks are a total reboot as it will have lower tip and tail rocker profile to increase stability in mixed snow. DPS says it will have a larger sweet spot and will include a women’s version in the Yvette 112RP.2."

Sounds interesting. Anyone know anything more? Marshall?
    That sounds very similar to the rpc no? Maybe they took the rocker profile from the rpc and used it with the 112 shape

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    That sounds very similar to the rpc no? Maybe they took the rocker profile from the rpc and used it with the 112 shape
    Nope. They really just tweaked the splay (slightly reduced) in the tip and tail and IIRC the sidecut is also a bit altered. I rode it at SIA (only on groomers and on some well used off-piste stuff) and felt that the ski is still the 112RP we all know and love (I own the 190) only better. I'm sure Marshal will chime in on the exact changes. All I can say is that I love the 112RP in its original incarnation and I think they've improved it with the 112RP.2.

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum. I'm considering pulling the trigger either on the Wailer 112RP2 Hybrid or the Rossi Soul 7. I'm looking for a versatile Ski which floats great and still has a good performance on groomers. Which one do you think is the more versatile Ski at the moment in European snow conditions?

I've found a rating on skinet/skimag. Does the new Wailer 112 RP2 really have such a bad performance on hard snow? I can't believe that the Soul 7 is such more stable? What do you think? Earlier ratings gave the Wailer 112 RP much better rating on hard snow.

Cheers

I have lots of time on the original WRP112s in both Hybrid and Pure. I find them extremely versatile, obviously playful in the powder, but also an effective carving ski on the groomers. I expect their potential limitation, and this will also apply to the new Wailer and perhaps even more-so to the Soul 7 is that they are not as stiff, damp and powerful as some other skis. These skis are designed to be the versatile ski you seek, but ultimately you'll only know whether their power profile (for want of better terminology) suits you is by trying lots of skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    Nope. They really just tweaked the splay (slightly reduced) in the tip and tail and IIRC the sidecut is also a bit altered. I rode it at SIA (only on groomers and on some well used off-piste stuff) and felt that the ski is still the 112RP we all know and love (I own the 190) only better. I'm sure Marshal will chime in on the exact changes. All I can say is that I love the 112RP in its original incarnation and I think they've improved it with the 112RP.2.
    "112RP2".
    Anyone else taken them for a spin yet?
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Gigantic bump

Thoughts on the 112RPs as a pow ski for a season in Whistler? I have a pair - 192s, maybe 10 years old, with ~50 days on them - that I'm considering remouting to alpine bindings from tele. My daily driver will be Enforcer 104 Free 191s. It seems like a 120+ waisted ski would be ideal, just not sure I want to spend the coin on that. Never had a pow-specific ski before. (Alternatively, does mid-season Whistler has solid deals on pow skis? Seems doubtful but figured it's worth an ask).

I enjoyed the 112RPs but didn't like them as much as the RPCs - I think I enjoyed the longer turn radius of the RPCs vs. RPs. That being said, it seems like the RPs could be decent in powder because they felt a bit more "floaty."

Me: 6'2", 190ish, advanced-expert (been on teles the last ~15 years). Planning to spend the season in Whistler, with some skiing in CA.

Edit to add: it's been a few years since I've had many days on the RPs or RPCs, hence some of my uncertainty on some of their ski characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Gigantic bump

Thoughts on the 112RPs as a pow ski for a season in Whistler? I have a pair - 192s, maybe 10 years old, with ~50 days on them - that I'm considering remouting to alpine bindings from tele. My daily driver will be Enforcer 104 Free 191s. It seems like a 120+ waisted ski would be ideal, just not sure I want to spend the coin on that. Never had a pow-specific ski before. (Alternatively, does mid-season Whistler has solid deals on pow skis? Seems doubtful but figured it's worth an ask).

I enjoyed the 112RPs but didn't like them as much as the RPCs - I think I enjoyed the longer turn radius of the RPCs vs. RPs. That being said, it seems like the RPs could be decent in powder because they felt a bit more "floaty."

Me: 6'2", 190ish, advanced-expert (been on teles the last ~15 years). Planning to spend the season in Whistler, with some skiing in CA.

Edit to add: it's been a few years since I've had many days on the RPs or RPCs, hence some of my uncertainty on some of their ski characteristics.
    I’m still using 10 year old W112’s on a semi-regular basis. They’re obviously not a perfect big mountain charger, but are ideal for old school short radius turns in any untracked snow conditions, and even better for slow poking around in tight trees searching for stashes.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Gigantic bump

I have same vintage RP’s and I am the same size and weight as you and Whistler is my home resort. I have RP’s mounted with Dynafit Rad 1’s for mostly touring, but have skied them frequently at the resort on powder days and for resort access backcountry.

They are a good powder ski and handle groomers well if kept in tune. I skied them in Japan in bottomless powder and they float better than any 112 waisted ski should. They perform like several of my wider 120 waisted skis. They are on the light side, so they do get knocked around a bit in crud snow, more so than the heavier RPC which have less side cut, but they are still manageable if you ski them at reasonable speeds. They’re not chargers, but are still a lot of fun and should be great with alpine bindings.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums