Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Doublet, Marshall, or DPS-why so much rocker?
    Seems like you give up a lot of contact area unless it's deep.
    frankly, why not? if you want a long running length ski, this is not it.... you know? though i would grab the w112rp and ski it basically everyday, regardless of condition, and would never be concerned of the running length. i do not ski slow. ever.

the more the tip rocker is elevated, the less it interacts with the snow on hardpack. the way the w112rp is shaped, the core effetively runs the full length of the ski, so there is not really a big tip spacer made of plastic flapping around.

if you are going shovel rocker, the tip is not in contact with the snow, but it can be unpredictable if its low... it will engage occasionally, or it won't, or it might grab or drag in soft snow that you might not see in flat light. this ski attempts to minimize that. the shovel rise is designed so that the more you lay the ski over and push and flex and drive it, the more running length you get, and this is a pretty real world experience i certainly feel. i feel like at 70mph on edge you are running more like 165cm vs. 150cm when you are at slow speeds and skiing more flat on the base, and the natural turn radius grows to the low-mid 20's.

sort of a ramble.... hopefully it made sense..

i am really stoked to get some more people demoing these things. i am arranging w/ el c to send some to the mammoth mini... and there will be a pair at the a-basin mini as well. should be good!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    So its made in China and Stephan is skiing in Engelberg........
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    Is he independantly wealthy?
    Alot of issues force many closures, yet he skis on (2003-2007)
    $1200-$1400 for china made skis - Have the delam and explosion issues been solved?
    Are skis really delivered? Had my $1000 for over 6 months then tried to charge me paypal fees to get it back.
    Are things are really different or is it hype............

But back to the thread, alot of rocker for a resort ski. Resort pow yes, groomers, with 150 running length sure.... Comments and demo?
    Wow, you are one butthurt fucking loser. You better tuck those bitchtits in while you're munching on that bag of yak dicks...
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Are things are really different or is it hype............
    Hmmm.... I ask this question all the time about a certain other ski manufacturer. Fortunately I dont feel the need to badmouth every thread about those skis. As for running length, just how long is the effective edge on 191 Lhasas?

If you have a gripe with a manufacturer, feel free to post it. If you just want to badmouth a new ski that you havent skied.... dont bother
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

Plenty of loved and skied rockered skis appear to have running lengths between 120-150 cm.

whyturn:

1. stephan does not receive a "paycheck" from dps...
    2. he gets to travel around and ski because his "job" is being a sponsored athlete (formerly mammut, now patagonia), and leads a mega frugal dirtbag powder hound lifestyle.
    3. skis are being delivered on time these days.
    4. can't speak to your issues in the past, or when they were, or how long ago. sorry it did not turn out how you hoped.

legitimate questions. thanks for asking.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thanks for the answers Marshall they are helpful. I believe in supporting the independants with good products (PM gear, Armada). Really this was the original reason for the purchase of the DP, which was through your rep code back then. Not sore anymore, manufacturing high end technology is difficult. Just want to be sure where current status of DP is while I consider the 112RP purchase since money does not grow on trees.
    I was curious about these things since it is an intriguing design and $300 down ($720 total) seems like a fair deal for a light Super 7 similar design. Significantly more rocker than my 191 Lhasa and as much as my toons. But with small sidecut and short running length I am a little unsure it "rails on groomers". I like the faster speed on runouts and it is a tough balance with high rocker.

I will continue watching thread to see more reviews hopefully. Good luck with the new products.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Thanks for the answers Marshall they are helpful. I believe in supporting the independants with good products (PM gear, Armada). Really this was the original reason for the purchase of the DP, which was through your rep code back then. Not sore anymore, manufacturing high end technology is difficult. Just want to be sure where current status of DP is while I consider the 112RP purchase since money does not grow on trees.
    I was curious about these things since it is an intriguing design and $300 down ($720 total) seems like a fair deal for a light Super 7 similar design. Significantly more rocker than my 191 Lhasa and as much as my toons. But with small sidecut and short running length I am a little unsure it "rails on groomers". I like the faster speed on runouts and it is a tough balance with high rocker.

I will continue watching thread to see more reviews hopefully. Good luck with the new products.
    Much better post!

I'm positive that while the 112RP will not carve like a true GS ski (obviously), it will simply be a matter of dialing in the edge tune/detune to your personal liking to make you happy on groomed snow. My pair of Billy Goats is of a similar shape/design and while they are a far cry from a GS ski, their performance in the fresh more than justifies their lack of hardpack finesse. If you're looking for a quick turning, fresh-floating tight tree/rock face/cliff drop pivot monster I can tell you that the design shape is the best I've ever been on for that. I can't even imagine how amazingly DPS has executed their variation of it. I am positively DROOLING over them fwiw... I'd give my middle nut for a pair of pures with some Dynafit FTs...

I'm glad to hear you're thinking about them again, companies grow and mature just like people. I think money spent with DPS is money well invested in a great product. Maybe someday I'll be able to own a pair
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

So, I got a chance to take a couple of runs on these sweet, sweet skis on Saturday at Alta. 2 pow runs in the morning, 1 cut-up skied out run in the afternoon. First, I think that the prices are ridiculous and yet skiing these was so ridiculously fun that I am seriously considering making them my one ski quiver for the next couple of years.

Disclosure: I am a recovering telemarker who has been mostly skiing alpine this year on a smallish AT setup in bounds and out, partly due to a knee injury.

Mini review:
    days skied: 3 runs
    skis: DPS Wailer 112RP pures
    length: 190 cm
    dim: 141-112-128
    bindings: Jesters? set at 10
    boots: Dynafit Zzero-4CTF
    mounted on the (current proto) line which I thought was money.
    weight (of skis): advertised 4 lbs per ski, they certainly felt light
    weight (me): ~200 lbs
    height: 6' 1.5''
    tune: edges were sharp, bases were waxed (and fast)

skis I like: honestly I have fun on whatever. I really like my BH shoots (191 cm, probably only other big ski I have significant time on), I also really like my Blizzard Titan 9.2 (188cm mustard yellow). Both tele.

Skis I dislike: Demo'd (tele) some justices (185cm) and this year's zealots (182cm) at the beginning of the season, was not that impressed, but conditions weren't that great.

I got first tracks on wildcat and was immediately impressed with their soft snow performance, skied big in the powder. Planed nicely and rode on top, able to vary turn radius easily and reel off waves of snow at will, like water skiing, but could go from feeling surfy to feeling locked in, in the powder depending on your input. I have not experienced this before. Wow! Immediately felt like a rock star and easily the best (and fastest) turns I have had this year. Really dig the shape for powder, soft snow performance. Did a second lap down thirds/high nowhere. More powder. Holy shit, I want these skis. They absolutley rip. Given the morning conditions anything would have slayed it. So why the excitement? I have been dealing with a nagging minor knee injury this season, and am not in the best shape. Yet I was able to ski fast and powerfully with little to no stress and fatigue to my knees and legs. The light weight and low swing weight was a revelation. The progressive shape is only half of it in my mind, the other half is the low weight, awesome.

Gave the skis back, and demo'd some other DPS skis Lotus 120 in a 200cm and 190cm. Snow was starting to get tracked out a bit and getting heavy. I liked the loti, but conditions were getting a little more challenging for my knee and the skis were requiring more driver input. Couldn't stop thinking about the 112RP. Got on them for an early afternoon run to see if I still liked them in the tracked out, cut up, scraped off, and whatever other kind of conditions I could find. They did not disappoint. Suprising edge hold, this must be due to the torsional stiffness, and also the camber (2-3mm?) and (minimal) sidecut. Went flying out the high T, which was a bit bumped up by this point, and it was actually fun. Rode up into some steeper windblown 'icy' spots to check the edge hold, and was blown away. Would not hesitate to bring these into steep tight technical terrain, based on this one observation. Wound up in some tight trees on the rib left of high boy and then popped put to finish on a somewhat bumped high boy. Last bit down was through some little chunder and on the piste. They carve just fine if you want them to. They are not slalom skis, but are surprising in their firm snow performance.

Overall impressions: Completely blown away by these skis, the shape and the weight are awesome. I love them and want them. Just need to figure out how to get this approved by the wife. I am ready to sell all of my other gear to make this happen. I will put FT12's on them and use them for most days in/out of bounds. They are light and lively, dead easy to turn, super stable and fun, fun, fun. Didn't notice any deflection because of their low weight, only seems like an advantage. Seems like a perfect everyday ski for Utah conditions. While other skis may be better in a particular category, these skis are no slouch in any category. Very impressive. Really love the feel of these skis.

guess i'll put my review up from alta's demo day last saturday.

about me-
    6'1 170 lbs
    Skis i like- praxis pow, 179 bro, 192 bro, lhasa, katanas, AK rockets, dps 120
    Snow conditions- mostly windblown pow. great soft snow all over. not much time spent on groomers.

First of all, I'll say that I was a bit skeptical of these as i'm used to a stiff, relatively straight ski (i ski 192's everday). The skis really have an interesting feel to them. Like all dps's, they are scary light, which translates to scary quick. I don't think i have ever been on a quicker turning ski, no matter the snow conditions. In windblown pow, they reallly shined, arcing many different turn shapes with lots of stability. They are so much fun in this type of snow. you can carve turns, or you can slide the tails around and play with the rocker. Didn't get much time in deep untracked pow, but the few turns i did, they skied just as expected. tips pop right to the surface, so manageable, and so so much fun.

I didn't ski groomers much, but the little time i spent there was quite remarkable. They rip! Thats all.

For those looking for a 200cm length, I really dont think its necessary. Sure, a slightly larger turning radius would be nice sometimes, but this skis performance as a charger, or just more of a big day ski will never surpass that of the 120.

Overall, i loved this ski. Sure, the price is high, but I am seriously considering selling off some of the quiver to fund these.

Altabird. Skiied Alta last Week during dump on Lhasas. Can you offer any comparisons to the Lhasa as I am also considering adding 112RP. Lhasa rocker is less but dimensions are similar. half the radius on the 112 so I am curious.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

holy shit... the swedish edition:

redinculously sexy
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Read/searched through this thread as well as the SS specific thread and I can't seem to find any comparison of the pure vs hybrid 112. Maybe it's there and I just missed it...

Really considering laying down some cash for pre-order on these and am just not sure if I want the pure w/ ss tech or the hybrid.

I have a pair of pure w105's w/ dynafits for touring (which i love for that purpose) but the one gripe I have is that when i get into some variable/mixed conditions, I miss the damp/smooth ride from a ski w/ some substance. If DPS wouldn't have introduced SS tech, I would have be going w/ the hybrid no question but now I'm torn...

Anyone w/ thoughts or info?

this may help:

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185535"]DPS Hybrid vs Pure carbon - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    Yeah, I did read this one as well, I know the date is fairly recent but it doesn't really reference SS so wasn't sure if this was still accurate since one of the main points they are pushing w/ SS is to provide a damper (more damp?) and more stable ride while keeping the weight down.

thx though.

^^^ pretty sure it applies, but would love to hear it again from marshal or anyone else from dps.

I haven't ridden the new SS pures, but for touring, where I'd go for less weight over damper performance (to a reasonable point), if the SS tech does even half of what it claims, it will be one hell of a solid ride in the backcountry. I tour with W105 Pures @ FT12s, and actually find them damp enough even when scooting back from slackcountry on groomers, as the low early rise sufficiently engages the ski to simply rail in most conditions (only exception: sticky mank or windcrust, which sucks on nearly every ski I've ever ridden).

That said, ff I was to ride everyday inbounds on DPS, I'd buy Hybrids. The way I see it, the Pures are for backcountry pursuits where every gram begins to count, especially the weight on your feet. They're a real treat of a ski, the Pures.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

just to expand on this a little from a shack in ak, testing hybrid and pures...

for true pow, the pure w. ss cannot be beat, inbouds, bc, heli, wherever.... the pure is it. in eal pow, they are so poppy and responsive, i cannot think of ever wanting sething else.

the hybrid kills it in true pow, but my thought that were they reallyshine is in the cut up, trackd out conditions.

i simply call them different strokes for different folks. i guess it comes down to what you are looking for, and what skiing style you have, and how your conditions are.

ok, peace, headed to the chopper.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

Enjoy homie!
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

Damn. I've been ragging on Marshal to get down to New Mexico and get on some snow. But, um, nevermind.

And if Heaven exists, I think it's a place where every one of your emails ends with:

"Ok, peace, headed to the chopper."

Ya, Marshal has a point: Pure construction in powder is worth the bang for buck regardless of where you are, inbounds or out. I've been killing it on Lotus120 Pures the past two weeks in Whistler (it's been dumping here). The pure construction is unbelievably lively and it makes pow skiing a real treat -- as well as bootpacking (well almost a treat). I find the Pures do damn well in chop and they hold their own against much heavier woodcore skis straightlining semi-bumped out bowls at the end of the day. The Pure construction is strong.

But hey, DPS offers both flavours. As Marshal says, the Hybrid handles chop even better. Depends on your priorities (and wallet). I just see Pures as the ultimate touring ski as you can give bigger shapes and styles without having to haul around that much more weight.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

just to expand on this a little from a shack in ak, testing hybrid and pures...

sooo, since you are in paradise, with a full quiver of DPS . . .

Would you ever choose the RP112 in the heli over the lotus 138?
    I guess you could, just for variety sake. But would you choose it if you were not "testing" skis?

Folllow up question:
    If a lotus 138 is a "10" on the slarve-o-meter and a traditional plank is a zero, then what rating would you give to the RP112?

PS - your life sucks. no wait, that's my life.
    . . .

just to expand on this a little from a shack in ak, testing hybrid and pures....
    Fuck yeah dude!

I got a picture in my head of arnold skiing lotus's in AK.

The 112 is interesting, I want to try a pair next season though I doubt I can afford a pair. Maybe i can convince my dad to buy a pair and borrow them for an extended period.

core shot-

in a perfect world with unlimited resources i would own:

+lotus 138 pure as a true soft snow, big mountain and powder ski. it would see probably 15-20+ days. i would ski these inbounds on 8-10+ inches, good powder days that require hike-to, and the epic, big days...

+wailer 112rp pure w/ touring bindings (for me that is dukes) as a side country, backcountry, general purpose ski. these would see 30-40 days a year.

+wailer 112rp hybrid w/ alpine bindings as a dedicated inbounds every dya ski. these would see 40+ days of skiing and service everything from chopped inbounds pow, sunny days, early season groomers and bumps/harpack.

i really feel like these are the only skis i personally would need, and would actually feel like more skis than that would be a total overlap and extraneous.

if i was heading on a trip (ak, jackson, whatever), i would bring the 138s and w112 pure w/ touring bindings. between those 2 pair, i feel i could get done whatever was required and get it done right.

as far a "slarve-o-meter" i would put the w112rp at an 8.5. the 138 is pretty much effortless. the w112rp requires little effort, but just a tiny bit of input to get it to slarve out... i think the more i ski them, the more effortless this will become... but they are as loose skiing as you want them to be.

i do not know that i would grab the w112rp over the 138 in ak specifically, unless you are spending a day of shredding luxury pow in recycled/recrystalized snow, with some variable runouts. but the 112rp would be totally confident and capable skiing gnarly spines and pointing out chutes without question, and as conditions change on a trip, i could definately see skiing them, you know?

hope that makes sense? not saying the above is absolute, just that is how the skis speak to my personal needs.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 04-10-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Very close to pulling the tripper on the 112 pures for my first dynafit setup!