Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wine Douchebaggery

I just saw a post in the Tahoe thread knocking CA wine. I call total bullshit but am not about to cunt up the Tahoe thread with such extrem douchebaggery. So let the wine douchebaggery begin here.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB
    ShawnB: Drinking white wine from California is like skiing at Northstar: Don't do it unless it's free.
    ShawnB: There is a difference between wine being well priced and wine being good. Sure you can buy wine that is as good for cheaper, but you can't honestly say that CA wine is shit. Because it's not. Merry Edwards SB. Chalk Hill Chard. Very good. Also both less than $30. Maybe you meant:

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB
    Drinking white wine from California is like skiing at Northstar: Don't do it unless it's on sale.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Hugh Conway Guest
    uhhh, California has some great Whites maybe you cretins should find something that isn't marketed to morons?

I drink reds. Sangiovese moslty.
    Seems like skiing at Northstar would be a whole lot better than stale hardpack along COs I-70 corridor right now.

Try one of the Ramey vineyard designated chards. That'll change about anyone's blind alegiance to Burgundy.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

seriously making wine has a fairly flat production cost. Some might be higher because of the barrels, or if they buy grapes or grow them. Sure each winery has different production costs and does different things to make it "special" and "unique" but really most bottles of wine should be around the $12 mark.
    Things like labels,bottles, packaging and LABOR really make a difference in the price.
    Also how much the owners invested in their equipment...and other such things.

But yeah I laughed at the "Drinking white wine from California is like skiing at Northstar: Don't do it unless it's free."

but there are good and bad wines everywhere, plus maybe he likes the grapes different soil types, like in New Zealand.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelinskier View Post
    but there are good and bad wines everywhere, plus maybe he likes the grapes different soil types, like in New Zealand.
    I'm sure he's in the 0.0001% of wine consumers who can actually tell the difference without looking at the label...

Feels like sharing a secret stash, since they are off the beaten path.

I just packed a bottle of this, along with some CA reds, for the weekend:

Goose Cross Sauvignon Blanc
    http://store.goosecross.com/shared/S...t=products.asp

I'm been a member of their wine club for over 10 years. They sent a very big bottle of cab for the 10 anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB View Post
    Dude, WTF? Drinking white wine from California is like skiing at Northstar: Don't do it unless it's free.

But Northstar wine is wonderful!

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

wine production (from vineyard to release) costs are far from flat. Dry farm or irrigated? How much is pruned at vineyard...that is how many tons per acre are you getting. Machine or hand harvested? Aging time? Them barrels and stroage space ain't free. How much did it cost to buy the land where the grapes are grown? etc etc.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    wine production (from vineyard to release) costs are far from flat. Dry farm or irrigated? How much is pruned at vineyard...that is how many tons per acre are you getting. Machine or hand harvested? Aging time? Them barrels and stroage space ain't free. How much did it cost to buy the land where the grapes are grown? etc etc.
    Not to mention whether or not Mother Nature smiled or shit on you in any given year. Oy...ice storm did some damage last month. Not good.

"Charge what the market will bear"

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    "Charge what the market will bear"
    Seattle's own:

sounds like a buncha

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Seattle's own:

moonlighting again?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

My take is, depends on what you like.

IMO CA puts out the best Chards in the states, which (MO) is probably largely attributable to my preference of the CA buttery style of American oak'd.

WA is in close contention w/ Chard grape quality, and also produce some mean Gewurztraminers

While OR dominates the the Pinot Gris and Riesling categories.

I also hold that paying north of $15 bottle for white, expect on raaaare occasion is sillyness.

PM Rontele for White Zin suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    moonlighting again?
    You don't have to answer that.

The current house White in Casa McClure:

http://www.liquiddiscount.com/store/...d=uibzhuuhpert

Damn tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    You don't have to answer that.

It hurts me to say this since I was more or less weaned on local wine, but I find CA wine fairly uninspiring, especially in the sub-$20 range. It's big, fruity, unsurprising, frequently oaky, and generally pleasant. But it's also a little boring. More and more I like wine with interesting--and perhaps weird--nuances: e.g., wines that are barnyardy, minerally, earthy, gamey, etc. (You know, wine that doesn't taste like wine. . . .) I haven't found many CA wines that deliver in this regard for prices worth paying. Ditto for AU wines.

But to each their own. There is no right or wrong with wine. There's only what the drinker personally likes or dislikes.

Generalizations about wine are akin to arguing on the interwebz.

"Drinking white wine from California is like skiing at Northstar: Don't do it unless it's free."
    Oh how soon we forget...
    http://www.montelena.com/our_winery/paris_1996.html

FYI, Miljenko Grgich, who made the 73 Chateau Montelena, started his own winery, Grgich Hills. Their chardonnay is awesome. I love their Zin too.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Why so defensive about the wine from CA?
    Decisions Decisions

I heard Opus One is the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Seattle's own:

Has anyone ever been here? I got dragged in by my buddy on his 18th birthday. It is the most foul, disgusting, stomach turning building i've ever been in. I wanted to burn my clothes.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Mmmmm Merry Edwards...
    and Iron Horse and Lynmar...
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.