ordering bike through LBS with custom parts

I'm a little under the weather so my head is foggy but I'll try to make my question as clear as I can:

Is it realistic to think that one could order a bike through a LBS (small store that doesn't carry a lot of stock) but request that it be kitted out with different wheels/cranks etc than what normally is stock on that model? Do you pay full price for the bike and all the parts and end up with, say, 2 sets of wheels? Or does the bike store hang on to the unwanted parts and just charge the appropriate markup? I guess it would depend on whether or not the bike shop wanted these parts kicking around, especially if they are lower end products that people arent going to be coming in requesting to buy...

sorry if this is a superJong question, I just have limited experience buying bikes. thanks for any input

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    you're going to pay for the bike and any extra parts you order for it. There is no incentive(other then a happy customer) for a shop to eat the cost of parts you don't want. A better solution might be seeing if the particular brand you want sells just the frame. That way you could build it up the way you wanted. A lot of the smaller companies will actually let you spec the bike the way you want, it usually just involves a phone call.

A lot of times it depends on whether or not the manufacturer offers that bike as a frame set alone or only as a complete. Most manufacturers have options just to order the frame, but there are a few exceptions (specialized used to be one). If your LBS is in good standing with the brands it carries, often they can work something out too. For example, I bought my Prophet frame after Cannondale discontinued the model, but we talked to the rep and he managed to get one built for me. Just talk to your LBS and see what they are willing to work out with you.

Also, its a lot more expensive to go the custom route. Bike manufacturers get parts a lot cheaper then what they cost through QBP or whoever your LBS uses. You will pay a lot more in markup.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

It is allot to expect from a small shop. Spend a bit more time looking over the models he can order as a complete bike. The manufacturers spend allot of time value-engineering complete bikes for cost-weight-value-performance. I find if my customers look closely at the spec's of complete bikes there is usually something for everyone.

As Gman says, you could buy a frame but it will cost more than a complete bike.

Tell us more about the bike you want.

I'd definitely talk to the shop and see what they're willing to do. My old shop would trade out easy sells like upgrading from an XT to XTR rear mech, and he'd usually give me a little credit towards 'traded' fit items like a stem. Any larger or more obscure upgrades, they'd cut me a screaming deal, which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation if you're buying a higher-end complete.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I'd definitely talk to the shop and see what they're willing to do. My old shop would trade out easy sells like upgrading from an XT to XTR rear mech, and he'd usually give me a little credit towards 'traded' fit items like a stem. Any larger or more obscure upgrades, they'd cut me a screaming deal, which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation if you're buying a higher-end complete.
    ^^^This...

Or, talk to marshal because that's what I do and it works.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

When customers want something swapped and upgraded we simply keep the parts and make the appropriate up-charge, particularly better deals when we get into higher end bikes. Doesn't sound too outrageous, I'd give it a go. I've done it with quite a few customers.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I like having a good relationship with my LBS (if I'm gonna tip a server 15% to bring me food he didn't even make the least I can do is give the guys who take care of my bikes some microbrew or a nice bottle of tequila from time to time) so I thought I'd float the question on here to see what people's experiences have been before imposing on them with a potentially unreasonable request.

I'm still in the brainstorming phase as to what I am looking at - but what prompted the question was my idea of buying a 2010 Stumpjumper Expert and changing the wheels, cranks, and seat post (to the Specialized command post or Joplin). If my shop agreed to do this it would leave them with some specialized branded wheels and custom shimano cranks that I suspect wouldn't be too quick to sell.
    Last edited by bennymac; 01-28-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Don't get a Joplin. Almost everyone that went out of the shop came back for us to send out to get warrantied.

As for the question, wheels and seatposts can be sold again pretty easy, special cranks not so much.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Don't get a Joplin. Almost everyone that went out of the shop came back for us to send out to get warrantied.

As for the question, wheels and seatposts can be sold again pretty easy, special cranks not so much.
    I'll second this as well - we've had a bit better luck with the Gravity Dropper, if a remote seat post is something you're set on...

And as for wheels, while relatively pretty easy for a shop to sell as a take-off, consider how much you'd get for them as a trade - you're likely better off (ie, will get more $$) trying to sell them on your own as a take-off item on Craigslist/eBay... Also, how much is having a replacement/backup/pit set of wheels worth to you? May not help a lot, but if you're planning on reselling the bike in the somewhat near future, would give you the opportunity to sell it w/ the original wheelset, and keep the new wheelset for your next ride...

Just playing devil's advocate.

When your head is clearer it seems to come down to a few things- first is how motivated is your LBS to make the sale (and probably some labor if they do the parts switch requested) and then do they have a market for the extra parts. IE the same discussion others are having with you you can have with the shop- ie price of the bike (list or deal?) plus investigate the ordering online of the extra stuff compared to the "bottom line total" that the LBS wants to charge you (I assume you have asked for a quote and received a price?) and would you be better off to discuss maybe another model or brand that would not require so much switching of standard OEM parts. If the shop is looking to keep a customer they will be honest and say that some items you maybe able to sell on your own listing in a specialty bike forum or EBay (if the shop does not do Ebay selling to clear out merchandise that is stale or not moving....

However buying parts and a frame can be a way to go but more expensive since you are paying for each item with at least some mark up and possibly shipping too.

Yeah, normally I just keep my brainstorming/dreaming/hallucinating inside my head. I was stuck indoors for a couple days washing down Advils with Nyquil and looking at bikes online and dreaming about an upcoming Moab trip.

Found that for about $2500 US I could get a full XT kit, Mavic CrossmaxST wheels, a Talas 140, and all the other necessary accoutrements to get a frame on the trail (this is with a standard non-adjustable post). A stumpjumper frame costs 2200 alum / 2800 carbon. I haven't yet priced other frames. The Enduro frames are the same price.

My problem is what started out as a project to buy a low-midrange trail bike so I don't keep destroying my XC ride has, like most projects like this, morphed into an overwhelming desire to buy a dream bike.

Thanks again for all the input, I'll talk to my shop about my options once all the meds are washed out of my system. If I pull the trigger I'll post a pic.