Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTF is up with pizza delivery charges?

If I order a pizza and they charge $2.50 for delivery, who gets that money? The driver? The lady on the phone with screaming kids in the background? The pizza shop? The franchise owner?

Anyone here deliver pizzas? Got any inside info (like how can I get a free one once in a while)?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Anyone here deliver pizzas? Got any inside info (like how can I get a free one once in a while)?
    Try asking on a UCLA alumni board.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

advres Guest
    You sound fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    You're just jealous 'cause you didn't get in.

Usually the store gets most and the driver will get like a dollar. Definately not the tip or part of the tip. Just remember that any tip thats less than a gallon of gas is weak and you're a douche if you tip $2.
    At Pizza Hut the driver only gets $00.50

pm Benny.

I have only in the past many years had pizza delivered from large chains. Pizza Hut, Papa John Domino ect. Never had a delivery Charge. I tip the Delivery person 5$

If you are ordering from an independent with 1 Brick and Mortar store? Then delivery would be overhead for them, so seems fair. + Tip delivery person.

I am used to delivery changes when ordering from a restaurant so for an independent it seems like the same deal.

I worked at a place that did delivery charges when I was in HS. The driver got 1-3dollars delivery charge depending on how far away the address was. The driver got the whole delivery charge, but the owner only paid the driver something like 8$ for a half night and $15 for a full night of work. The charge basically offset the low hourly pay that the driver got. It was in no way part of the tip but was the driver's regular pay. When I worked for Jimmy John's, the delivery fee worked similarly, but JJ's paid an hourly wage.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

I lived somewhere with a papa johns at the end of the street, as in you walk outside and can just read the sign. We used to get a pizza once a week and we would tip the delivery guy $10 every time.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    If I order a pizza and they charge $2.50 for delivery, who gets that money? The driver? The lady on the phone with screaming kids in the background? The pizza shop? The franchise owner?

If you are too fucking fat and lazy to go get a fresh pie, then you get what you deserve...
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Good point...proably get a lot of CEOs....of course on the USC board, you could get OJ Simpson and that rat leaving the sinking ship, Mr. Carrol..
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

$5 tip huh? I've always tipped $2. I figured they delivered 8 pies an hour, and an average tip would be $2, plus their wage. I guess I'll rethink next time I order.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I have only in the past many years had pizza delivered from large chains. Pizza Hut, Papa John Domino ect. Never had a delivery Charge. I tip the Delivery person 5$

If you are ordering from an independent with 1 Brick and Mortar store? Then delivery would be overhead for them, so seems fair. + Tip delivery person.

I am used to delivery changes when ordering from a restaurant so for an independent it seems like the same deal.
    Huh? You must live in some kind of pizza delivery utopia or maybe there's some local law about delivery charges or something...

EVERY national chain (Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc.) charges a delivery charge around here. Based on all the new advertising hype I decided to give Domino's a try once more, just to see if it would be worth it. The gal on the phone offered me a large 2-topping for $11.99 then told me the total would be $16.-something. WTF? Yeah, they're now charging $2.75 for delivery... And, while the pizza is way better than it used to be, it still isn't all that great so I won't be ordering from them again.

I worked for Godfather's back in the early '90s when they were still around and more recently I delivered for Papa John's and Pizza Hut when I was changing careers and not making much at the new job. I knew people who worked for Domino's too. The way it works around here is that the driver gets minimum wage for hourly pay, then gets either a certain dollar amount for every delivery ($0.85 at PJ's, I don't remember what it was at Pizza Hut, but about the same) or a certain amount per mile driven (Domino's). Other than that, they rely on tips. Given how much gas costs and how much wear and tear you put on a car by driving it for delivery (I drove about 25-26K/year when I was delivering - lots of short trips, frequent stops, idling, etc.) the money they give you per delivery really doesn't cover the cost of operating your car unless you have a really cheap, reliable car (I prefer early '90s Corollas for this).

Long story short - whatever they're charging for deliver does NOT go directly to the driver, usually only a small percentage of it does. It's just a way for them to deceive you into thinking you'll pay less than you actually will. Tip your driver well, delivering 'za isn't a bad job for college kids and people who need a second job but only because there's tips involved. If you don't want to tip, get off your lazy ass and go get it yourself.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    I lived somewhere with a papa johns at the end of the street, as in you walk outside and can just read the sign. We used to get a pizza once a week and we would tip the delivery guy $10 every time.
    $10.

how much is left in your trust fund?

I'd think they'd pay you $10 just for putting that Papa John's shit in your mouth.

I've never paid a delivery charge (WTF is a delivery charge about?), but I usually just walk over and pick up my own pie.

[quote][//quote]

I delivered pizza for a year after school, for a local shop in a good neighborhood. They didn't charge for delivery, and I got paid minimum wage. I had the shop record for most deliveries on a busy Friday night for a while (31) and averaged maybe 15-20 deliveries or so on a normal Friday. I remember being stoked if I finished the night with $100 in tips, which would be in addition to the hourly wage. Most people tipped well, but at the time I'm sure that I wasn't really considering the cost of operating my car back then as part of the equation.
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

Why is it overhead for the the independents but not the chains?
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Why is it overhead for the the independents but not the chains?
    Most chains are almost 100% delivery based. It would be worked into the price.

I've worked at chain and independent.

Chain - no extra delivery charge, $.60/delivery and $1.20 for really long trips, but this was 10yrs ago.
    Independent - $1-$3 delivery charge depending on distance.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    $5 tip huh? I've always tipped $2. I figured they delivered 8 pies an hour, and an average tip would be $2, plus their wage. I guess I'll rethink next time I order.
    you cant do 8 in an hour unless its something like a college campus place where 50,000 people live close and always order pizaa.

i worked indy's and chains. chains never charged for me. the indy gave me 50% of the charge. i averaged around 2 with the chains, which meant i got about 11 per hr. decent, but not good when you consider car expenses are on you and factor them in.

best thing to do is find a place in the rich neighborhoods. i did that with an indy and bumped up to 15 per hour and everyone needs drivers.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Delivery charge? Never even heard of it. Must be a western thing I guess. Sweet deal, though, you get to pay extra for shitty-ass pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Delivery charge? Never even heard of it. Must be a western thing I guess. Sweet deal, though, you get to pay extra for shitty-ass pizza!
    I live in the East and my local favorite has a $2 delivery charge. Their menus also contain $2 off a large pie coupons (one for each month, pick up only), if you don't bring a coupon in, they don't care if you cut one out of the menus they have sitting out. Most of the employees don't even care what month it says on the coupon.

So in other words, without even factoring in tip, delivery costs $4 more for 1 large pizza.

That being said, not too many other places have it, so maybe it is a predominately western thing, kind of like eating chain pizza without barfing and the (incredibly gay) phenomenon of calling pizza 'za.

Edit: Fuck now I want pizza for lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    Um...

why?
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Um...

why?
    The only possible answer is that they are fucking retarded. And rich.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Um...

why?
    Why tip $10 or why order Papa Johns?

$10 tip?: thats mighty good karma and delivery guys can be a good herb hook up if you need one

Eat Papa Johns?: Have no idea why anyone would do this
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    I worked for Godfather's back in the early '90s when they were still around.
    I have no comment on this thread other than to state the Godfathers is still around. I have everyone between my home and South Carolina programed into my GPS. The classic combo still rocks.
    I still call it The Jake.