Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I feel let down. I expected Ben to die. He was a complete and total self serving murdering douche. Now all of a sudden he's being shown as a sympathetic & some what caring character? I call Bullshit. I don't want to see redemption for this guy. Where is the blood & justice to account for the evil he has commited? I thought Smokey was handing him his sentence when he assigned Ben to be the caretaker of the island. To be forever stuck there seems to me an appropriate punishment. But the little band of castaways have forgiven him and accepted him in their group instead. Puhleese lame

Yeah, the Ben thing is a little lame. The dude is a straight up mass murderer and the fact that he's now a broken man because he allowed his daughter to be shot doesn't change shit. His little sob story is going to change Alanna's mind in 30 seconds when she saw Jacob as a father figure?

Also, why didn't Smokey/MIB just kill everyone on the beach when he came to talk to Ben?

Yeah I agree on the Ben issue. Personally I would've killed him back when he was being held prisoner in the Hatch station.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

I agree that Ben is a bad dude, but part of what Lost is about is that "fair" doesn't really play into things. Is it "fair" what happened to Locke? He didn't kill anyone or scam anyone, yet he's the one who ends up in a wheelchair/dead.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    His little sob story is going to change Alanna's mind in 30 seconds when she saw Jacob as a father figure?
    I think she changed her mind because Smokey wanted him, thus confirming his value.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I think she changed her mind because Smokey wanted him, thus confirming his value.
    You might have a point. Also, is Ben really the crushed man he's making himself out to be?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You might have a point. Also, is Ben really the crushed man he's making himself out to be?
    For the moment, yes. He was the master manipulator and got playyyyed by Smokey/MIB. I also think Miles' comments affected him as well.

Pretty solid episode overall, stoked to see Widmore back on the scene.

It looks like we are finally going to get some answers. At least that's the idea. From the looks of the season premier, it's going to take them awhile.

Term papers

Poor alt Sawyer. Sitting alone in his apartment eating frozen dinners and watching "Little House on the Prairie" reruns!

what was Tina Fey doing on Hydra Island?
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

So what mythology story fits into Smokey's crazy mother story? NPG, you got the answer on this one?

I thought it was interesting that Widmore's people were putting up a sonic fence on Hydra Island. I wondered about this before: how did they ever figure out this would keep out the smoke monster in the first place?

After Kate had her good cry in the roots of the mango tree, why did she refuse Locke’s helping hand when getting up? Does this mean she’s still outside his control or am I looking for clues?

Sayid looks positively fucked, like he is dying. No way killing a couple of strangers could leave him that depressed, unless he realizes he has made a terrible mistake.

Excited for Richard Alpert to revels some amazing things next week, though after time travel, phantasms, and numerous people rising Lazarus like from the grave it is hard to imagine anything will be too shocking.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

So did Miles put Charlotte up to snooping around in Sawyer's dresser drawers?

I think charlotte was just a woman looking through things.

I am really looking forward to next week's episode. Although I guess I should expect little to be answered.
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

On the last episode, Pam Ewing is going to wake up...

So the island is the cork that keeps the wine from getting out.

I now know why I dislike the show. Viva la Vino!
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Doesn't seem like the show progressed much there aside from finding out that Richard never ages because that was his sole wish. The whole "this island is hell" thing wasn't gonna fly since the writers made that clear in the very beginning.

I thought the relation between Jacob and the Man in Black was made pretty clear. Assuming we can believe Jacob, his purpose is to keep the MIB confined to the island so that his malevolence can't spread. I was on the fence before, but after last night I'm inclined to believe Jacob.

Well the show is getting overtly biblical at this point. UnLocke is looking more and more like the Devil and the wine bottle analogy sort of puts the island in the role of Limbo, at the gate to Hell. That discussion between Jacob, Richard and the Nemesis clearly lays out the classic God, Devil and Prophet roles. Just like I was saying earlier, this is all straight out of the Old Testament and the Koran. The remote God brings Man to the island (ie. creates Man) and wants Man to exercise free will independent of his direct control or revelation even, while the Devil is always ready to provide lies and half truths to get his objectives. Jacob saying that the Man in Black is motivated by the belief that all people are inherently corruptable pretty much hangs the ha-Satan sign right around his neck. He seems to tell the truth but he really does not. Notice how he always deflects questions, turns questions back on the asker, changes the subject and uses half answers and rhetorical questions in the place of real answers or promises?

With all that ancient Egyptian stuff around, I thought the back story of the island was going to be Atlantis. But the language and concepts being used in this last ep are clearly Judeo-Christian and don't really seem connected to the polytheistic world that would build a 150ft idol of Tawaret. Kind of wondering how they tie all that together.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-25-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Maybe I misheard it, but was Jacob talking about not having any hope nor sympathy for those that can't and don't act on their own will and determination? And that people who can't think for themselves without relying on someone else's direction don't deserve to live? If so, then perhaps this show is heading in the same direction - one where it's up to us to decide what ultimately transpires in the end. In a society where everyone can't function for themselves without being spoon-fed, it sure would be amazing to close the series out with very open interpretation.

BIG spoilers in the link below, although I'm not sure of the validity:

http://i42.tinypic.com/24180mr.jpg

Why didn't Widmore kill smokey? He was standing 10 feet from him w/half a dozen guns pointed. Can he only die from that dagger?

It looks like Sun is going to die in side world, so I assume she's going to die on the island, leaving Jin as the Kwan that Smokey needs.

I forgot, why was Sayid in the restuarant and why did he kill everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I forgot, why was Sayid in the restuarant and why did he kill everyone?
    I think his brother owed Keamy money. They brought Sayid to the restaurant and all hell broke loose.

for some reason they can't shoot FLoke/Smokey/MiB , Richard yelled "Don't Shoot Him" when they first saw each other @ the statue earlie in the season.
    Keamy is one creepy mf'er.