Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Confess.

I Confess.

I have never actually been to an Olive Garden.

I have always just assumed it was generic shit.

But the fact is, you can go to what looks like a fully authentic guido joint in the Bronx, Utica, Rochester, S.F., wherever, and they could be having an off night/week/chef/owner in jail, and have that be shit, too!

So, in the sake of populism, (and the fact that I might be on the road soon), is O.G. total shit, or is there some pretty scrumptious, fatty grub there?

Teir new ads are pretty good (compared to the Oakley ones!)

What say y'all?

ASIDE:

I have never been to a Chi-Chi's, either. Or a Red Lobster, that I can recall.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Why break a winning streak now?

Never been to any of those places either and have no intention of starting. Just seems too loud and too commercial. Closest I've ever come is Red Robin.

I'm sure there are many other great places you can go in your travels - local places with flavor and business owners who could use the $$$$
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Olive Garden is fucking disgusting. Watery canned sauce, nasty microbaked lasagne etc. I can tolerate salad/breadsticks from there but that's it. Spaghetti Factory, though appearing to be a step down, is 100% more delicious than OG. Don't bother...

advres Guest
    I'm just stoked you mentioned Utica. Schultz and Dooley would be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Why break a winning streak now?

Never been to any of those places either and have no intention of starting. Just seems too loud and too commercial. Closest I've ever come is Red Robin.

I'm sure there are many other great places you can go in your travels - local places with flavor and business owners who could use the $$$$
    Hah, you haven't been on a tight schedule in idaho Falls or Mountain Home, have you?

J/K, you KNOW that I am a major chowhound, but i have a lightning schedule 'sales' trip coming up, think I might just bring my grill (usually do) and brown bag for the most part. But I would like to hear opininos, for example, 'Chipotle' actually really isn't that bad (if fact, pretty good) in a pinch.

I guess this is the 'chain restaurants that don't suck' thread, as opposed to my usual MO, 'small local joints that rock' thread. I suppose it could morph into 'small local joints that looked good, but sucked' thread, too...

You get the jist.

Seriously? Their new commercials? Looks to me like they accidentally mixed 3 entrees together and gave it a new name. Support a local restaurant.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hah, you haven't been on a tight schedule in idaho Falls or Mountain Home, have you?

J/K, you KNOW that I am a major chowhound, but i have a lightning schedule 'sales' trip coming up, think I might just bring my grill (usually do) and brown bag for the most part. But I would like to hear opininos, for example, 'Chipotle' actually really isn't that bad (if fact, pretty good) in a pinch.

I guess this is the 'chain restaurants that don't suck' thread, as opposed to my usual MO, 'small local joints that rock' thread. I suppose it could morph into 'small local joints that looked good, but sucked' thread, too...

You get the jist.
    I actually have spent some time in Mountain Home - it is where I discovered Scape Goat beer - sooooooo good. Wish I could get it here!

Don't know where you're traveling to but if you like Thai food this guy knows his stuff. Thai Spice in Kennewick is amazing - great depth of flavor not just heat.

Thai Restaurants
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I worked at one for a while. Nothing spectacular, and for the most part a far cry from real Italian. While the sauces aren't canned as mentioned above, they're not far that far off. The lasagna comes in frozen layers and is just assembled and baked. A few of the dishes aren't too bad for what they are.

I was a bartender, and the corporate people wouldn't let us stock regional beers and wines, despite being good sellers because they wanted consistency across the country. For a chain restaurant, it is okay but you are better off eating local.

Yeah, KQ, always up for Thai (I learned how to cook Thai from my sisters ex, he was Thai that didn't speak a lick of english, she lived there for ~6 years up north)

BTW, Teton Thai here in Victor is excellent, it is the real deal (for a farang menu in the mountains of the US)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yeah, KQ, always up for Thai (I learned how to cook Thai from my sisters ex, he was Thai that didn't speak a lick of english, she lived there for ~6 years up north)

BTW, Teton Thai here in Victor is excellent, it is the real deal (for a farang menu in the mountains of the US)
    Oooh he gave that place a bad rating - maybe they've gotten better since he's been there? Or maybe he's stoned?

I too find Chipotle decent. Not mind blowing or anything, but you can do worse.

KQ, are you sure you can't find Scapegoat nearby? Big Sky distributes all over Washington. You should ask at your local beer store.

Oooh he gave that place a bad rating - maybe they've gotten better since he's been there? Or maybe he's stoned?
    There are two, with different Menus...(JH and Victor)And if you are in the restaurant trade, well, every night has it's 'challenges'. Especially out here in the boonies. Try getting Kaffir lime leaves on a Sunday...yeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I too find Chipotle decent. Not mind blowing or anything, but you can do worse.

KQ, are you sure you can't find Scapegoat nearby? Big Sky distributes all over Washington. You should ask at your local beer store.
    I called the distributor - they do not sell it in W2. I have yet to check Yoke's in Richland - I don't get there often. I did have a GF who was coming for a visit scour Sea-town for it to no avail. I don't get it - the only thing I can figure is that there are so many other Pale Ales out there that it doesn't get stocked. I see Moose Drool everywhere but no Scape Goat.

I see Moose Drool everywhere but no Scape Goat.
    Bummer. I would think that if you can get MD, you should be able to special order Scapegoat. But clearly, I know little of the vagaries of beer distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    I'm just stoked you mentioned Utica. Schultz and Dooley would be proud.

FTW!

As far as Olive Garden and the like.... even on the road they are a tough pull-but disparate times call for desperate measures. Ive been on work trips where an Olive Garden would have a welcomed alternative.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

I use to travel a bunch and found, for the most part, Outback's steaks are consistent. For 12 bucks the sirloin with a salad is reasonable.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by gorms View Post

As far as Olive Garden and the like.... even on the road they are a tough pull-but disparate times call for desperate measures. Ive been on work trips where an Olive Garden would have a welcomed alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    I use to travel a bunch and found, for the most part, Outback's steaks are consistent. For 12 bucks the sirloin with a salad is reasonable.
    I had to eat at an Outback Steakhouse in Tulsa Oklahoma once. I drank a lot of beer.

i was going to say the same thing about outback....

sit at the bar, sports are on, the bartender asks your name (and remembers it by putting it in the computer), and the food is at least consistent. a sure thing for the business traveler in middle america
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    The first time I went to an outback's was in ontario in the middle of nowhere. Goddawful. Admittedly, the second time wasn't bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Wouldn't you drink a lot anyplace in Tulsa?
    Oh doG yes - what a freakin' Hell hole. Seemed like EVERYONE smoked. Got to see these:

As far as chains go, they aren't that bad, you could do much much worse. The salad is decent and plentiful, the soup is palatable, but a bit salty. Entres are kinda hit or miss, I don't mind the portabello ravioli. As far as being authentic italian, I think PF Changs has em beat. If you don't go in expecting some amazing, inspired meal, you should leave relatively satisfied or at least pacified.

In fact, the most annoying thing about the place isn't the food or faux italian atmosphere. It's the fact that I have never been in one that wasn't a complete and utter shit show. I think its like the official high school date joint of all of N. America. If I'm going to an Olive Garden, I just want a quick, dependable meal. I don't want to want to sit and wait like I'm at the hottest restaurant in town. I think this is a sad sign of what our country is coming to.
    Sitting next to giggling momo school girls who went back and forth from boys to scripture at an OG's in Ogden was an especially traumatic experience. Sad thing is, it may have been the best meal I had in that general region, actually make that 2nd best.

That being said, if you are a travelling foody in search of quick eats, a GPS plus RoadFood, ChowHound and Urban Spoon could be very helpful. Will you have interwebz in your car??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

I'm not a food snob at all. It isn't the best food ever but it isn't bad for what it is. That being said, I'd take some good wings and a beer or some great pulled pork over just about anything. Olive Garden is ok IMO...Red Lobster, not a fan of their seafood so much but their cheese biscuits are really good.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I thought this thread was going to be about the Hitchcock movie, Hitchcock being a bit on my mind since we watched Rear Window last night. (That would've been the) wrong forum, jong!

My thoughts on the chain restaurants are in Hugh's thread. Not sure I've ever been to an Olive Garden, but we keep getting coupons in the Sunday paper, so it's a good bet we'll get there some time soon (if we're ever insane enough to think going out to eat with our children is a good idea, that is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sometimes I think you guys are some of the smartest people on the web, other times I wonder if you were shaken as babies.

This isn't really about olive garden, more about the morons who eat there.

But I just remembered this and this seemed like as good a place as any to post it. Reviewing a fairly decent (much much better than shit garden) Italian restaurant in the Seattle area.

My wife loves Italian food. We were driven by the higher score it has here and our reluctance to go to Olive Garden (OG) in Kirkland. We were disappointed once we entered the place. It is not romantic or whatsoever. Pretty small place with barely something identifying that it is Italian restaurant. No views. There are windows but you can hardly call whatever they are facing nice views. Anyway the menu was not too long. Again we like OG so we were expecting not less from this one because OG has lower score. However it is not the case. Soup seleciton is very limited. Like limited to 1. And we like soups. So my wife had to stick to Caesar Salad instead. My soup and her salad were very very good. The main courses and wine were also very good. So we satisfied our hunger easily for 65$. The bottom line is that if you want to have good pasta and dont care much about the rest, it is a good place. I doubt we will go there again in near future.
    http://seattle.citysearch.com/review...iewId=14735931
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

if you're stuck going to some corporate gentrified chain restaurant because your friends are (insert appropriate adjective here) and insist on "something familiar", then you can do a lot worse than olive garden.

but as a general rule, if you can avoid it, do so.

-steve