Surly 1x1 snow bike?

I currently have a Surly 1x1 and am looking to build a snow bike to run over cross country skiers/hippies. I see that many people have put large marge rims on them and ran 3" tires... but, unlike all the builds i saw, i am stuck with canti posts and no disc mounts in the rear. I currently have it set up as a disc in front and flip flop with a u-brake in the rear.

I am not so much concerned about rear brake clearance (probably just remove the rear brake and run fixed); more about frame clearance. I know it is possible to cram large marge rims into a frame without canti posts... but can i get away with not chopping them (since i need them for summer riding)? Would it help if i went for a smaller diameter rim (24" like the rat ride)? Any other rim/tire solutions that could work??

Thanks!
    Jasper

I've been running unstudded 2.3 exiwolfs on a Surly KM without issue on packed snow. I did a home stud job on an old 2.1 motoraptor (run on the front), which is confidence inspiring if nothing else.

Personally, I don't see a need for the super wides. Have you tried your 1x1 on the snow as is?
    bodies be all up on my behind

if you want a massive tire that actually fits, look at the bontrager big earl 2.8, michelin dh32 2.8 or the kenda nevegal 2.7.

none of those tires will require a special rim. and all will fit in brakes.

and all are BIG freeking tires.

also, kenda kinetics 2.6 is the largest single ply tire i know of, if you want to save 2lbs per tire.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I run Small Block 8s with a psi of 60 and some reckless abandon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I've been toying with the idea of converting my Karate Monkey to a snow bike as well. I'm trying to decide what would be the best idea. Should I just put the largest 29er tire on front and back that I can find, it think they would be a 2.4/2.5?(not sure how well they would fit in the back unless I added a link or half link to move the wheel back a bit to where the chainstays get a little wider). Or should I put 26" wheels on it and run 3.0ish tires(I'm pretty sure they would fit front and rear) Or the I could put a 26" rear wheel with a 3.0" tire and a 29" front wheel with a big 2.4/2.5" tire on it. I realize the last option would screw up the geo a bit, but not a big deal, since I'd be riding on xc ski trails with nothing techy on them. I think it would also take some of the weight of the front wheel to make it a bit less squirley. I also have a spare 26" rear wheel, but not front, so it would be a little cheaper than option 2.

My buddy just got a pugsley and I'd like to do some riding with him, but wanna be a bit more budget.

Maybe if it keeps snowing like it did this weekend here in UT, I won't have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    if you want a massive tire that actually fits, look at the bontrager big earl 2.8, michelin dh32 2.8 or the kenda nevegal 2.7.

none of those tires will require a special rim. and all will fit in brakes.

and all are BIG freeking tires.

also, kenda kinetics 2.6 is the largest single ply tire i know of, if you want to save 2lbs per tire.
    Awesome! Thanks for the specific tire recommendations. It is good to know something will fit for sure before i drop $40+ per tire for something that will be questionable.

As far the rim goes - it seems like most wide tires will fit in most skinny mountain bike rims (so long as there is frame clearence). The rub, however, is tire pressure. Wide rims let you spread out the bead of the tire and run super low psi (like 5) while still avoiding pinch flats. In theory, this is supposed to give you some wicked traction in snowy conditions. But, being i have never ridden on one, i am not sure if it is really worth it? Can anyone comment (from first hand experience) on how much difference it really makes?

the wider the rim, and more vertical the tire bead, the lower the pressure, for sure.

i'd say get the tires, mount them to current setup, and see if it works. if you wat 5-10% more traction/lower psi then opt for the wide ass rims.

you could probably find some sun double wides for next to free too. i have a 36h rim sitting around if you need/could use/ want it.

-marshal
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

heres a good thread from my local forum. we do a lot of winter xc riding and even have a winter race series. this is what one guy is running on his 1x1 24" large marge w/ felt bermaster 3.0 tires

[ame="http://www.morcmtb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34462"]http://www.morcmtb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34462[/ame]

Can anyone comment on echo rims? Looks like they make a fairly reasonably priced rim in a 48mm width (which should easily fit past my rear canti posts). It is not as wide/burly as a large marge (which is 65mm) but these should be way lighter and still allow running at low pressure. Anyone know where i can score a pair online??

Also toying with Kris Holm unicycle wheels (which are 49mm i believe). Anyone know where i can score a cheap 26"? I see the 20" are super cheap (in the $50 range) but i can't seem to find any good prices on a 26" ($90 is the cheapest i can find - which is a bit much for it i think).

i've got a 1x1 w/ maxxis hookworms 2.6". maxxis also sells a knobby tire that's just as big. they're a little heavy, but they rule. i rode it in the snow yesterday w/o a problem. it was light NYC snow, maybe 2". I'm sure that it'd be awesome in deeper snow if I had some giant knobbulars on there.

it's on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330398976521#ht_500wt_ 1153. Selling b/c i want a LHT.

Why dontcha take a look at the pugsly, isnt that the bike designed around 3 inc tires?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.