Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

East Vail Chutes Movie

I put together a little video of me and some friends riding the east vail chutes right as this storm started to hit. Check it out, there's some great footage of deep pow and monster cliffs!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_qEyEs78E"]YouTube- East Vail Chutes Video Compilation - Mid January 2010[/ame]

gunit130 Guest
    radical bro. it's really, really nice to see video that's not all POV. Nice job, thanks for posting.

que the avalanche police...

Yea Forest..... Nice first post. Can't wait to see the footy from the past few days....30 INCHES LATER.
    HOLLA

Like the footage.

damn, looks so fucking fun..
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

That was really fun to watch!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Mouth watering footage. Berthoud/jones/butlers have always been my haunts but after watching this I may have to take a feild trip over to eagle. Anyone want to share some beta for these areas?
    Or is it deemed a "Stash" and protected?

Anyways sick vid, keep it up!

Seriously everyone should watch this. Really fun vid.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Great editing too. Cool to see the multiple view of those hits. It is really nice to have those runs cut like that up there...
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Could use some tunes to go with it but great little video.

I don't know anything about the east vail stability / controversy whatever ...

I just know that was some mighty fine snow, terrain, and riding. Welcome to the board and keep posting stuff like that, jong!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thank you for all the nice comments about the video, I'm really glad everyone enjoyed it!

As far as avalanche dangers go, most of this footage was shot before last weekends big storm. Since then the avy danger has risen significantly in east vail and there has been a scary amount of activity back there today. In the last 24 hours nearly all of the major slide paths in benchmark ripped, going quite large and running full path. Once again it's time to hang up the gear for a while and ride inbounds until things get more stable. Be safe out there.
    Last edited by kleinmaf; 01-27-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Nice vid yo, that cliff is called Monster St. Stephen right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Nice vid yo, that cliff is called Monster St. Stephen right?
    I've never heard a name for that cliff, if you're right, then good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by kleinmaf View Post
    In the last 24 hours nearly all of the major slide paths in benchmark ripped, going quite large and running full path.
    Good to hear, we needed a facet flush which I have been waiting for. Let's hope round two puts a better base down.

sick vid
    way to get after it
    That's called skiing/riding, not standing!
    WOOOHOOOO!!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Good to hear, we needed a facet flush which I have been waiting for. Let's hope round two puts a better base down.
    It was only storm snow. (A lot of it) The facets are still there....

Great vid. I'm digging the multiple angle shots of the cliff hucks. I wanna see footage of someone hucking that big 60'-70' cliff near the top of the chutes. Don't know the name of the run, but I'm sure someone around here knows what I'm talking about.

King Arthur?

It is depressing when you pray for slides to rip big to the ground.

hey forest - we used to work at the red lion together i think. we ripped some laps a couple years ago.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by ^^^ View Post
    I wanna see footage of someone hucking that big 60'-70' cliff near the top of the chutes. Don't know the name of the run, but I'm sure someone around here knows what I'm talking about.
    King Arthur?
    I've got photos, but no video. But I doubt anyone will be hitting KA anytime soon. It just ripped on monday night or tues morning. As we speak you can easily see the crown from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    hey forest - we used to work at the red lion together i think. we ripped some laps a couple years ago.
    Hmmm... You're probably right. Who is this?

King Arthur?

It is depressing when you pray for slides to rip big to the ground.
    Yeah, that might be it.

Yup, depressing. Either flush it or bridge it. I don't think either will really happen this season.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinmaf View Post
    I've got photos, but no video. But I doubt anyone will be hitting KA anytime soon. It just ripped on monday night or tues morning. As we speak you can easily see the crown from the bottom.
    Post 'em up. King Arthur is one, but there's another big cliff band just past the E.Vail exit, closer to the main ski area. It's bigger than the KA cliff. Maybe 1/3 of the way down the slope, a bit tighter landing zone than KA.

Here's a link to a photo I took of my buddy Jake hucking King Arthur's a few years back. Please note that this was taken after a monster snowfall with LOW avalanche danger. I do not reccomend doing this.

Enjoy!

King Arthur's