Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    UCL, how did you break it? What generation was it? I think you have to replace the whole heel piece (the part that rotates), unlike the comfort where you just replaced the volcanoe.......
    If I remember right,with ST/FTs,you can just screw off the top-piece/volcano (attached with 4 screws?) and replace it? It is a separate piece.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Yes you can replace just the plastic top plate, I just did that. In addition to the four torx screws there is a small press fit pin that needs to be pushed into the binding using the right size press tool, or just carefully with a hammer and nail like I did. To get the pin out again so you can mount it on the new top plate you need narrow needlenose (?) pliers. Important: crank down the vertical release screw to min setting plus one full turn before you loosen the screws.

Article here:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/dyn...breakdown.html

and some additional comments at the bottom here:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/277/click-cl...l-unit-review/

BEFORE YOU UNSCREW THE TORX SCREWS BACK THE DIN OFF!!!!!

I blew up a TLT heel-piece once because I forgot to lower the pressure on the springs and for about 20 minutes I thought I'd broken it

(luckily wildsnow has an excellent article on re-assembling dynafits for maintenence)
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Thanks for all the advice.

Harpo - it is an ST from last year. I broke it torquing it with my pole (stupid move really as I have seen them break plenty doing what I was doing). Only a small break and still works fine, so I may just leave for now.

I got my replacement item for free from the Norwegian distributor, you could try to contact the US disti and ask for that. The replacement is really easy.

BUMP - just because its that time of the year when the same questions get asked

Agreed this is useful if your heel accidently goes into ski mode while skinning, but what I'd like to see if a good way to apply skins with skis still on your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    what I'd like to see if a good way to apply skins with skis still on your feet.
    My partner can do this. But he's flexible and has ridiculously short skis (like 165 cm, even though he's 5'9").
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Agreed this is useful if your heel accidently goes into ski mode while skinning, but what I'd like to see if a good way to apply skins with skis still on your feet.
    There are many tours with flat sections or short up hills in the middle of the downhill where it helps to have a free heel but u don't need skins. Just try to keep up with a telier in such a situation, only practical advantage to teli I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    Does Dynafit have a take on this? Over the long run that kind of seems like unnecessary strain on parts, both human and engineered..
    Now going on 7 years with this method without the bindings exploding on me

Hugh Conway Guest
    With the heel undone, flop the ski up, put the tip loop on, slide a hand down to glue them, flip the tail connector. Helps if you've long skis wrt to your height & you've powder baskets to float the doubled poles in the non-skin applying ski side

Before the surgery [ugh] I was doing the Van Halen lots this season with the fishscale Charger BCs. IME, the best setup for the Van Halen method (see below) is with a Comfort top plate and a B&D volcano.

Any tips if you have radicals?

Fukkin canadians.

ZERO van halen content. I'm seriously supposed to believe this works without a bitchin 80s guitar riff that makes me want to put on a muscle shirt and try it? I mean given, canadians never STOPPED wearing muscle shirts but still.......
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    With the heel undone, flop the ski up, put the tip loop on, slide a hand down to glue them, flip the tail connector. Helps if you've long skis wrt to your height & you've powder baskets to float the doubled poles in the non-skin applying ski side
    The fact that you know this invalidates any time you ever want to bitch at someone else about anything making fun of them right? I mean you have to know this.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Buddy^^ is a tele wanker but that shouldn't matter

If you really insist on using this method, periodically check the nylon bushing on your springs in the heel piece. Once they get rounded, you can loose a heel piece in the snow. Ask me how I know.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    If you really insist on using this method, periodically check the nylon bushing on your springs in the heel piece. Once they get rounded, you can loose a heel piece in the snow. Ask me how I know.
    The bushings on Dynafits wear. You should check the bushings periodically on Dynafits even if you don't use this method.

I've no fucking clue what are talking about kidwoo I don't have the supersecret Tahoe local decoder ring.

I wish there was a rando racing theme song I could play.

I imagine it's what you hear when learning how to put skins on your skis without taking them off to save 15 seconds of your day.

The cups wear via normal use, IME not any faster using the Van Halen method, which I do alot. I check cups a couple times per year, when I lube my bindings. I replace cups when they are visibly worn, about every 100 days of use or so. No biggie.

[QUOTE=kidwoo;3892397]I wish there was a rando racing theme song I could play. /QUOTE]

well you are obviuosly taking the wrong drugs or you would hear the right song all the time without an Ipod

The bushings on Dynafits wear. You should check the bushings periodically on Dynafits even if you don't use this method.

I've no fucking clue what are talking about kidwoo I don't have the supersecret Tahoe local decoder ring.
    I do dynafit repair and mounting. I've pulled a couple of these apart and they've been full of shavings, something you don't get from normal wear and tear. The incident I was refering too was an hour I spent helping someone find their heel piece. The binding had been toured on maybe 10 days, she indicated that she was cranking in and out with her ski pole. We found it, I rotated the trashed bushing and told her to replace it asap. Me, I've skied hundreds of days on Dynafit and I've never replaced one bushing.

I would work on gettin the decoder ring. Only two box tops from coco puffs are needed.

BTW, to stay true with this forum, no one fucking cares less than me what you do with your bindings.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    I do dynafit repair and mounting. I've pulled a couple of these apart and they've been full of shavings, something you don't get from normal wear and tear. The incident I was refering too was an hour I spent helping someone find their heel piece. The binding had been toured on maybe 10 days, she indicated that she was cranking in and out with her ski pole. We found it, I rotated the trashed bushing and told her to replace it asap. Me, I've skied hundreds of days on Dynafit and I've never replaced one bushing.
    So yer a fucking idiot who skis with fucking idiots. No wonder you have the decoder ring.

Friend busted some Plum guides while doing the twist out method. Plum's warranty department was apparently unsurprised that twisting out of them caused them to fail.

So yer a fucking idiot who skis with fucking idiots. No wonder you have the decoder ring.
    Wow, a lot of assumptions for not knowing how to get the decoder ring. You must be new to the intranets. LOL