"Get outa da water, ya kook"

So had a pretty fkn cool conversation with this dude at the bar the other day. He moved to Hawaii some six years ago to surf. And that's what he does. About all he does. It was pretty cool listening to his description of how different the surf is there compared to...most anywhere else.

Covered a lot of topics, then i asked him about the whole haole thing. He had some pretty strong feelings about it. To him, it often just came down to respect. But then he hit on something that maybe everybody else has thought through, and was just new to me.

Kinda how respect isn't really a function of who is trying to give it, but how it is perceived. As an example, he said some might think it's showing respect by complementing someone on their ride. But he said to their culture, that might not be respect at all. The highest respect you could show them might be to shut the fuck up. Don't say a word. Not even hi. And that could be, to them, a sign that you understand and respect them.

I dunno, thought it was really an interesting perspective, and yet another reminder how different cultures can be. Anybody else experience this?

[and yes, he got chased out of the water a couple times. He said that, in hindsight, he deserved it. He was being a dumb kook, realizes it now, and how he could have hurt someone...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Yeah, totally makes sense and cool post. I was out at this sweet little break on the North Shore last year (when it got REALLY mellow)... everywhere else was flat but this one spot had a nice little swell with 2-4' faces coming in pretty regularly, straight off the beach from where we were staying. One other dude was out there surfing. Normally I don't talk to other surfers - it's definitely a quiet sport. And everyone is in their own little zen space. But I got a few rides that were the best of my trip and was so stoked... homeboy out there caught a really nice ride in to where I was and I gave him a little "yah buddy" and the dude looked totally pissed when I broke the silence. Oh well.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The only person who ever called me a kook in Hawaii was bright white. If Kala Alexander couldn't surf he'd be in prison. Don't show up where you can't surf, don't endanger others, don't be rude and you'll be welcome most anywhere. Except places with 'tards like Washington.

I totally get it.....something about the silence makes it all that much better.

that's the reason I like being out in the water b/c it's quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    The only person who ever called me a kook in Hawaii was bright white. If Kala Alexander couldn't surf he'd be in prison. Don't show up where you can't surf, don't endanger others, don't be rude and you'll be welcome most anywhere. Except places with 'tards like Washington.
    Good point/catch. After i thought about it, he didn't actually say the dude called him a kook, just that he was acting like one. And learned quick.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Just like your friend said it... The people I saw having the most trouble were the ones that did not know how to shut up. Their problem was made worse by not learning from past lessons. Quiet respect + aggessive paddling and position worked for me.
    "FKNA man, that is some master looking carpentry skillz yo." - FreakofSnow