Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Something people should know about splat

In case you're waffling about buying skis from pmgear...

I bought a pair of 179 bro's last year, second hand (thanks highrustler.) They had five days on them when I got them, and I've put in another 15 or so.

I had a small technical failure with one of the skis- the metal piece on the tail (base side) came off. I contacted Pat and he has offered to repair this ski, that I bought second hand, free of charge.

This is what people are talking about around here when they sing the praises of pmgear and its customer service.

Pat is what you would call a Tribe leader as defined by Seth Godin.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQGYr9bnktw"]YouTube- Seth Godin on the tribes we lead[/ame]

At least, that's my impression.

I'd do business with him again, without question.
    Sometimes you have to let your bad self ski...

Yes, Pat is the man.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

I was under the impression everyone knew that already.

Indeed, Pat is the man.

always worth tossing splat's praises up. always. dude is as good as they come.

big ups.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Ive had nothing but good dealings with Pat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

^^^ +1
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Same here. Great to deal with.

I'll see if I'm still thanking him after I get the pants scared off me on my new SuperBro's this weekend.

Until then, big thumbs up

Pat is an energy source

I heard that Pat taught Chuck Norris everything he knows.
    "All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." Homer Simpson

Thanks for the kind words, you all. This year has been challenging but somewhat resurrecting for me and thoughts like yours provide a warm encouragement. Last year seemed like an ongoing disaster; two surgeries, boku downtime, friends and loved ones dying one after the other and betrayals and squabbles on many fronts. I've kept plodding, nose to the grindstone, and feel like things about to level off. And your kind words give me a tangible affirmation. Like reminders of the nature that my old friend Wally Amos (the chocolate chip cookie king) emailed me today:

Two Horses
    Author - unknown

Just up the road from my home is a field, with two horses in it.

From a distance, each horse looks like any other horse. But if you stop your car, or are walking by, you will notice something quite amazing.

Looking into the eyes of one horse will disclose that he is blind. His owner has chosen not to have him put down, but has made a good home for him.

This alone is amazing.

If you stand nearby and listen, you will hear the sound of a bell. Looking around for the source of the sound, you will see that it comes from the smaller horse in the field. Attached to the horse's halter is a small bell. It lets the blind friend know where the other horse is, so he can follow.

As you stand and watch these two friends,you'll see that the horse with the bell is always checking on the blind horse, and that the blind horse will listen for the bell and then slowly walk to where the other horse is, trusting that he will not be led astray.

When the horse with the bell returns to the shelter of the barn each evening, it stops occasionally and looks back, making sure that the blind friend isn't too far behind to hear the bell.

Like the owners of these two horses, we cannot throw ourselves or others away just because we are not perfect or because we have problems or challenges. Our own self-propelled energy watches over us and even brings others into our lives to help us when we are in need.

Sometimes we are the blind horse being guided by the little ringing bell of others in our lives. Other times we are the guide horse, helping others to find their way.

Good friends are like that - you may not always see them, but you know they are always there.

Please listen for my bell and I'll listen for yours and remember - Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Thanks,

-splat

offered the exact same thing when I had an issue with my 2nd hand blems. I decided to learn how to epoxy instead, but the offer was there. I can damn near garantee that no other company on the planet would offer that kind of service.

FKNA pm gear kicks ass!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Pat made me a good deal on 174's last summer. Intern f'ed up and shipped me 164's. No big deal but pat got things righted in no time and threw in a shirt to boot. Very pleasant to deal with even though he was under a lot of stress at the time. I know where my next planks are coming from. And the 174's kill it.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Yeah buddy Splat da man Mounted up the Splatulas takin em out today.
    Hope Shanes smiling I know Splat is.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

splat is mean trying to make me cry with that horse story.

*sniff*

No joke........I'm sitting in my cube wondering if I look like I'm going to cry.

Splat in the few times I have dealt with him is nothing but first class. The product can be bad, great or anything but as long as there is a man to stand up behind it that product will succeed in the long haul because of pat and what kinda dude he is. First class.

I always try to keep the valleys from becoming to low and the peaks from getting to high. Its a great way of knowing when shit is bad it will get better but also that when its real good there will be bad times ahead.

Always look and listen

The horse story is a tear jerker for sure, but solid. Thanks Pat
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

it's not that I don't want skis from pm gear, I do. It's that I don't have and don't feel like paying $950 for skis (well, ever) that will inevitably hit a lot of rocks and my even slide of the car a few times in the parking lot.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Answering to Beyond's question

Because life is not always just. And because people need heroes and there can not be many.

PS: I personally think Pat is a very great guy.
    :big thumbs up:

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    blah blah blah... cult...blah blah blah
    Do you know what a "community" is? People in cults make each other drink barbiturate kool-aid. People in communities support each other. This should answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    1) why the constant... testimonials?
    2) There are plenty of others who will go out of their way to do right by you when the skis or you mess up.
    3) Why no testimonials devoted to them?
    4) I'll avoid the larger question of why this all in a tech forum
    1) The reason for my post was stated at the beginning. "In case you're waffling about buying skis from pmgear..." This is the sort of thing people might want to know before they shell out for new boards, don't you think?
    2) Pat's customer support is actually in rather sharp contrast to some other indie ski manufacturers, one of which (also U.S. based) just charged me nearly 300 dollars to replace a ski I bought for my son that broke on maybe its tenth day. They did promise the replacement would be more durable because "we've changed factories," which is how I found out that they don't even make their own skis.
    3) Fair question. Who knows, maybe people on here are afraid that some ill-informed, grumpy asshole might make pointlessly acrimonious comments in the thread if they start one? Why don't you start a thread about some other indie ski maker yourself if you think its warranted, instead of just fucking up this one?
    4) Because tech talk is where people go when they are thinking of buying skis, and this is information for the prospective ski buyer. Where do you think it should go- Music, Books and Movies?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    horse story make me cry
    Splatulas make me smile

Sking them made my wee wee hard.
    Yeah Splat that ski FKNA kills it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno