Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Massive avy in bounds Mount Hood Meadows

I'll post some video and pics later tonight, this was huge.

turned the run out to heather chair quite interesting

Here is the only article i've found so far, good pic on it too.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...shes_down.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

um ya, guess who took it. heres some more.

heres a link to some video. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15mZhooH3Dw"]YouTube- Avalanche Mount hood meadows[/ame]

Hey Matt you still online? I would love a hi-res shot of the runout (the one in the Oregon Live article) to put into the April issue of The Avalanche Review. Can trade you a comp subscription for a year. Pop me a PM, ok?

nice shots, looks like that drainage may see some flooding also.
    off your knees Louie

it might during what they call glacial outburst but, regular avy activity keeps it scoured clean of vegetation. It is rated as the most dangerous type of area for avalanche.

I think the real thing to take away from this is that we should trust patrol when they keep this zone closed. They take a notorious amount of crap from people for keeping it roped after storm cycles but, obviously there is potential for catastrophe here. I think everyone who has sweated them in the past should take a moment and thank them for keeping a perfect record of no deaths in that area. In fact the only avy death at the resort was a pro patroller that was crushed beneath the cascade chair about ten years ago. I'm sorry I can't do him the respect of remembering his name after a long weekend but he was killed ski cutting with two other patrolers.
    Odly enough this was the weekend of the safety fair here. Serves as a good reminder I suppose.

I was thinking that is a fairly active looking cutbank in the first photo.
    off your knees Louie

well you know we had that "glacial outburst" a couple years ago and it was like a giant flash flood, it took out the highway and stacked boulders on the bridge. Washed away a lot of stuff but, it was somewhat atypical.

Wow, after reading the story i get the magnitude about how heavy that release was and how far it traveled. Crazy shit!
    Agreed that Meadows gets shit for keeping the canyon closed. I would say most the people that complain are the ones you'll see side slipping down when the ropes drop.
    Training for Alpental

So it sounds to me like this was out of patrol's hands. It slid outside of the permit area and ran into the canyon. Scary thought, but this was only a couple hours away from threatening lives. What if that sucker had released at noon today?

I know this is a potentially inflammatory topic to bring up. I'm not picking on patrol. I'm simply curious. What else could have been done? Anything? Nothing?

I'm not suggesting for a second that the permit area be expanded, but does control work do any good if you have a giant piano dangling from the 10th story above you?

I totaly agree with your point, however that piano could be only a floor or two up if they didn't do what they do.

kaya is offline Im a registered something
    saw this on the way up there today- really interesting shape to the slide. It was amazing that it ran so deep into the canyon. Everything was really slabby at Meadows this morning.

This is outside of patrol responsibility I would think.

This and the climbing deaths are a stark reminder of what a dangerous mountain Hood can be.
    Training for Alpental

Damn! Massive is an accurate description... I was found some instability over the top of blue chair, breaking off a small slab a foot or more deep, but holy smokes... this one is huge. So, avy experts... was this more caused by glacial movement or was that just the trigger of really unstable snow? how deep was the layer that initially failed, if there's a way to know? more beta is wanted...

slid a mile and was 30ft deep at the runout!

i was in heather sunday with no avy gear (not that it would help with this slide)

wow

Whoaaaaa. How high up do they shoot that new Howitzer? Pretty wild, and pretty lucky it happened at 7pm.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    slid a mile and was 30ft deep at the runout!

i was in heather sunday with no avy gear (not that it would help with this slide)

wow
    Your RECCO reflector would have saved you

I'm waiting for photos of the crown line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Wow I originally misread and thought it was Monday not Sunday. So it went about 4 hours after I skied through there all day. I was wearing a beacon but woulda been toast if that freight train hit me.

How big was the crown?

Quote Originally Posted by inthemtns View Post
    How big was the crown?
    no idea. i'm intrigued to know more about it too

kinda off topic. but did they ever find those other two climbers?
    Nothing is impossible, you are only limited by fear, and even that can be overcome. -Seth Morrison

Here's a very general overview for y'all:

Crown - 1 to 4 feet. 3/4 of a mile wide.

Track - Avalanche ran for 2.7 miles. Coming to rest 200 yards or so from the bottom of the Heather Chair.

Deposition - Anwhere from 15 to 30 feet Deep in places. ( Estimate )

Hard Slab - Class 4 relative to Path - Destructive force 4

A biggin for sure!