Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2010/2011 Salomon El Dictator- The ski for skiers

Introducing the El Dictator.

El Dictator

Size: 194
    (wussies need not read further because this is the only size offered)
    Dimensions: 134 x 114 x 124
    Characteristics: 300mm Tip Rocker, Flat Square Tail, Full Woodcore

The story:

So the inspiration for the ski came from the head freeride ski designer Lionel Favret. He said to Kaj Zackrisson and I one day, "We will build a ski for you. We wouldn't want to send you two into a Formula 1 race with a Citroen, so the ski is as you wish. Build your Formula 1 ski".
    The excitement to build a ski one-hundred percent from scratch, as I wanted to build the ski was nearly over-whelming. But once I settled down the conception process was an easy one. It's something I've been dreaming of for years upon years.

I wanted something that withstand the rigor of hard-charging, variable conditions while still combining some of the pleasurable elements of recent ski design with regards to effortless pow skiing. And I wanted it to stomp cliffs, biiiggg cliffs.

So the design you see above is what we came up with. Now let me tell you why we picked the design we did.

Size: 194 cm. We wanted something that had the long turning, hard charging capabilities of the 202 XW Lab but with a bit shorter length for more versatility and tighter turning proficiency. Hence a pretty damn big ski but not overwhelming length by any means.

Dimensions: 134 x 114 x 124. We stayed with a similar radius to the Rocker because that radius is a great radius for long super-G turns, a non-hooky feeling in pow and butterability in the deep. We wanted 114 underfoot because we estimated that 114 is a great width to still sink the skis when landing big airs but still staying afloat while ripping turns. When you get past the 120 underfoot range landings become a bit harder and more jolting because the skis don't sink into the snow and utilize the cushion of the snow to soften your landing.

300mm Tip Rocker. Because rocker rules. It's the only way to achieve effortless flotation in pow. We stuck with a minimal amount of rocker to allow the ski to still be easily manageable in super variable conditions. I'm sure most have felt what a lot of rocker feels like on crud and windboard, and I'm sure none of you like that tip slapping and chattering feeling that a lot of rocker supplies in those conditions.

Flat Tail. Because even though some say there is no reason to not have a twin tip on all skis, I feel like I've found a reason. And that is that twin tips tend to wheelie and squirrel out on big air landings. Square, flat tails sink so well into landings that stomping becomes a breeze. I've definitely found that flat tails are essential for those huge hucks.

Woodcore. Because we wanted it stiffff. And stiff this ski is. The tail is adamn 2 x 4 and punches through nearly all conditions. The tip still has some nice poppy characteristics and isn't a brick, but the tail, g'damn it's like a teenager at a strip-club stiff.

Overall, I got my first prototypes in March of last year and didn't ski a single other ski until park ratting it up in Hood this summer. It's all that I've ever wanted in a ski. And it better be because I fucking designed the goddamn thing!

And here is a little video sample of the El Dictators from Jackson Hole last March. Stompy!

Last edited by Alkasquawlik; 01-17-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Me digas! Like the square tail, too many big uns' with the upturn.

Dimensions = kill-seek-destroy
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Looks pretty damn sick dude.

When can us mere mortals get our hands on a pair?

Some spy photos from another thread deserves to be here.

yes, But how do they handle on the waves?

Congrats on your own ski, sick!

should fill a hole in Salomons big ski catalog
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 01-17-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I think I´m getting these next season. That´s not just coming home from the night shift talking.

Alka: Would it be wrong to mount them behind the El Dictator writing? Where is the recommended mounting line, measured from the tail? (this, on the other hand, is coming home from the night shift talking)
    They look seriously sick.
    Last edited by arild; 01-17-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: question for townsend!

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    I think I´m getting these next season. That´s not just coming home from the night shift talking.

Alka: Would it be wrong to mount them behind the El Dictator writing? Where is the recommended mounting line, measured from the tail? (this, on the other hand, is coming home from the night shift talking)
    They look seriously sick.
    I haven't received the graphic version yet so I'll have to do some measuring of my prototypes compared to the graphic version to give an accurate recommendation. Once I get them I'll post that sort of info up in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I haven't received the graphic version yet so I'll have to do some measuring of my prototypes compared to the graphic version to give an accurate recommendation. Once I get them I'll post that sort of info up in the thread.
    Thanks! Any underfoot/tail camber?

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Thanks! Any underfoot/tail camber?

Yes, light amount of camber underfoot to tail.

Sweet stuff. Congrats on making your very own ski! Ville is pretty stoked about his XW labs, and he´s burlier than I am, so these will probably be very nice for my scrawny little ass. I also like your idea of camber. Should make them livelier, compared to the direct competition; the Faction Thirteens, which are very dead feeling on harder stuff.

I really need a pair.Really.
    Always Fight Gravity

Great! I am getting a pair as fast as I can get hold of them!!! Do you know anything distribution-wise? Who will get priority? North America, Alps, Scandi?

Btw, you should drop some info about the rest of the new skis... ;-)

How's the weight compare to the Solly Rocker?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How's the weight compare to the Solly Rocker?
    Quite a bit lighter. I don't know the exact weight but I was pleasantly surprised on how light this ski turned out.

Distribution? I literally have no idea.

^^^ Interesting. Thanks Alka!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

How stiff is the tip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Nice looking planks dude! Pretty much exactly what I would build as well if I got the chance.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I'm no pro skier, but from my limited time on Rockers I have come to the conclusion that they would be an even better ski if they were (1) lighter and (2) not quite as wide. Glad to see I was in some good company with my line of thinking!

This was the type of ski I was looking for this year. I went with the ON3P Wren which has similar dimensions to this beast (although I personally like a twin and don't huck anything big enough to notice the difference in a turned up tail). Sick video, but I'm pretty sure it was the pilot and not the skis that made it look so effortless...

Sick looking ski................

Salomon makes a 202? How did I miss this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Those look and sound awesome. Congratulations on fulfilling your dream, it should be of benefit to many others as well. Great idea and best of luck with them. Hope I am lucky enough to demo a pair when they come out.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by squatch View Post
    Salomon makes a 202? How did I miss this?
    Made. The XW Labs were in fact 202cm long, even though they were marketed as 198s.

I REALLY want this ski!!! I absolutely LOVE my Rockers (HUGE props & thanks to Alka for the point) and this ski would compliment them & my quiver well! Awesome job Alka, kaj & crew - Salomon has really cranked out some super sweet skis the last 4 to 5 years (back to the AK Swallowtails)! You guys just keep knocking it out of the park!!! I will buy this ski as soon as I can find a pair!
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

nice work alka. those skis are beasts. looks like the xxls have just been surpassed as the paradigm of big mountain sticks.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Such bad timing because I need to purchase a ski like this NOW to replace my done Goliaths and can't wait till next season.

And to note, Alka mentioned 134-114-124 on dimensions but the pic has them at 139-114-124.