a couple shots from the park today

Stopped by the slopestyle event today and shot some action. These came out fairly good for the greybird lighting. I did a little work on them in iphoto but only a little crop and highlight work mostly.

local kids in park comp today

Mrs V. shredding
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Nice - next time back up and try to get a bit of the takeoff and landing for some sense of location/direction. And try going for a cool angle, like put the camera right on the snow so you get some snow in the bottom of the image and then the kicker and the skier in mid-jump.
    Hail Ullr

yeah I get what you mean, no perspective or reference point for the viewer. thanks for the input.

WhiteRoom Skis

I had a rare day shooting in the park as well.

http://chadspector.com/blog/2010/01/...rnoon-evening/

truth nice shots. butter perspective than mine just what gholman was talking about. I think my choice of lens narrowed me in too much to get background. I was using my EFS 55-250 IS. I know not a pro lens but for the level of shooting it does ok.

WhiteRoom Skis

It's tough Vin. I'm not a park / pipe shooter by any means and I def. struggled with composition. Contest settings mean no matter where you're set up it's a gamble that the athletes will hit the features in the zone your lens and view will accommodate. Very frustrating shooting. Still cool as all get out to be up close and personal to these athletes ripping it up. I'd never seen superpipe in person on this level before and the shit is mighty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    I had a rare day shooting in the park as well.

http://chadspector.com/blog/2010/01/...rnoon-evening/
    Wiener.

Not a big fan of the composition of this shot:

I understand the motivation but find the OOF rider dominates the shot. Maybe a crop like this...?

I hear ya tip, top 1/3 really is friggin ugly. The entire even was plaugued with horrid backgrounds. The slopestyle course is so ugly I bailed on going back up to shoot it today. Couldn't get the framing I wanted as there was a Dew Tour photog that was on the deck (only they were allowed on the deck) that killed my angle to get the oof rider / crowd image. Se la vie. Shooting on the pipe really sucks when there's a massive crowd (14,000 plus), even with media credentials it's brutal to get angles. This was my first time ever shooting pipe and I def. learned a lot after editing the images.

<EDIT> Tipp...after further review I've swapped out the image with one shot 2 clicks later using a horizontal crop. Still not a real keeper. Funny thing is that the shooter from Snowboarder Mag was next to me and after peeping his gallery we both had the exact same frames with sightly dif. comps. Neither of us got the shot we wanted.

Vin, sorry this got hijacked man.
    Last edited by truth; 01-18-2010 at 12:10 PM.